Sweet potatoes - favorite (or unfavorite) recipes

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:32 pm
I'll start - just ran across this on Epicurious.com

It's certainly easy and I even have all the spices, not usual for me.
Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes

Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes
Gourmet | January 2002

These supremely easy, wonderfully spicy potatoes are delicious with Panfried Pork Chops with Pomegranate and Fennel Salsa.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
Active Time: 10 min
Total Time: 45 min

1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 lb medium sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425°F.
Coarsely grind coriander, fennel, oregano, and red pepper flakes in an electric coffee/spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle. Stir together spices and salt.
Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1-inch wedges.
Toss wedges with oil and spices in a large roasting pan and roast in middle of oven 20 minutes. Turn wedges over with a spatula and roast until tender and slightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes more.

Green Witch

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:48 pm
@ossobuco,
You forgot the marshmallows.
0 Replies

hamburger

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
had some for lunch - not enough potato dumplings left from yesterday !
we just wrap them in papertowels , stick them into micro , pull off the skin , fresh sweet butter - a good chunk is best - , pepper and salt : ENJOY !!!
hbg

re. fresh sweet butter : mrs h always gives the butter the "fresh" smell test !
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:14 pm
hbgr-We do the same thing with yams, except we punch some holes in the skin so theyd ont blow up in the nuke. I do em about 11 minutes and split em and serve with butter.

Sweet tater pie is gooood. We never learned how to make it though.
hamburger

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman :
yes , puncturing or giving them a little cut sure is a good idea !!!
or POOF !
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not keen on sweet potatoes on their own, but in a mash-up of mixed root veggies they are fantastic.

Or roasted - with other roasted veggies. <sigh>
RexRed

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:33 pm
I always use a little diced sweet potato in my homemade beef stew.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I do often add a sweet potato when I'm into my big roast veggie maneuvers.. and I like them roasted by themselves with butter and salt and pepper. Put them in soups..

but... it's been y..e..a..r..s since I've had the regular old mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Frowns. Maybe I'd like them again by now.

Maybe this is the year I get into rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, etc. Not too long ago I had some delicious parsnips at a restaurant, which turned me around on them. I remember my mother making them and my finding them beyond horrible.
Green Witch

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
@ossobuco,
A parsnip roasted to the point of caramelizing is a delight.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd suggest taking a half pound or so of every root veg you can think of and roasting them all - then taking them in various combos in different recipes - mebbe carrots and turnips with yams in a potato soup recipe as a base for a seafood or veggie chowder. Some as a heap of oven fries with a big salad.

Jamie Oliver did a show where he mixed and matched root veggies/herbs/oil and vinegar and roasted them up and sampled them with different foods. I didn't pay excessive attention - just enough to realize it was a great idea.
ossobuco

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Mmmmmm, to Green Witch and ehBeth.

GW, is there any best way to do that? keep them whole? slice? make them into match sticks?

Sounds like something I need to learn, eB. Will chase around on Jamie Oliver's writings online and see if that show's info is summarized anywhere.
patiodog

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't got no recipe, I just cut them into 1/8" to 1/4" slices, lay them out on an oiled baking sheet, drizzle or spray some oil over them, and throw them into the oven at 400 F until they're soft and starting to brown. Salt, and eat like pub chips. Mmmmmm.....
ossobuco

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:52 pm
@patiodog,
Do you keep the skins on?
ehBeth

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:58 pm
@ossobuco,
(all the good restos serve sweet potato fries with the skin on - is that trendy? or just healthy?)
patiodog

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Absolutely. I don't peel any sort of potato for any reason. The skin's the good stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:00 pm
@ehBeth,
I like them with the skins, and the photo with the recipe on top shows the skins if I see it right..

I think the skins have some vitamin goodies... but I do scrub them.
ossobuco

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:01 pm
@ossobuco,
So, yeah the good restos agree with US.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:04 pm
@patiodog,
Yes!

The other alternative is to slice them lengthwise, and bake till they form a nice crust on top. Split the tops to make cavities to hold the butter.
patiodog

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:11 pm
@roger,
Cut side up or skin side up, roger?

(For what it's worth, I HATE those sickly sweet traditional Thanksgiving sweet potatoes/yams. Ugh.)
roger

Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:13 pm
@patiodog,
Cut side up. You are going to be digging the potato out of the skin while eating.