BUTTERNUT SQUASH--any creative recipes??(maybe something with bacon?)

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:24 pm
@plainoldme,
Oh, forgot to tell you. My mother always baked squash upside down in the water for 45 minutes, then turned it and stuffed the cavity with sauteed loose pork sausage or layered it with bacon slices. I prefer filling the cavity with . . . carmelized onions, a bit of wheat germ and some flax seeds . . . or even sunflower seeds.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:14 pm
I am here to report that I tried soz's recipe and we werent impressed. There is a back flavor of the butternut that needs "hiding" and garlic only intensified it. Im gonna try some a buterfly nets next (So I cant award any red hickey lesions yet)
sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:17 pm
@farmerman,
Aw sorry.

Maybe I don't always use garlic for that. Heh.

Anyway sorry it didn't work out.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:29 pm
@sozobe,
You dont get the red hickey of approval
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:44 pm
@farmerman,
Here's one I haven't tried (and may not)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2010/10/06/vegetarian_recipes.DTL&object=%2Fc%2Fpictures%2F2009%2F12%2F23%2Ffd-VEG20_shells__0500967986.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/12/23/fd-VEG20_shells__0500967986.jpg

Butternut Squash-Stuffed Shells With Rosemary & Walnut Butter

Ingredients:

1 3/4 to 2 pounds butternut squash- peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (about 3 to 4 cups)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
16 to 24 large pasta shells, depending on the size
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon finely minced rosemary
3/4 cup whole-milk ricotta
1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese
-- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 branch rosemary

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the squash with the oil, then roast until golden and tender, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta shells according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
Remove the squash from the oven, and reduce the heat to 325 degrees. Place the squash and minced rosemary in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel knife, and puree until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl, add ricotta and pecorino, and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the squash mixture into each shell. Arrange the shells in a single layer in a shallow baking dish. Cover with foil, and place in the oven to keep warm.
Melt the butter in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts and rosemary, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until butter browns lightly and walnuts smell toasty. Remove from heat, discard rosemary, and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon lightly over squash stuffed-shells. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Information:
Per serving: 488 calories, 12 g protein, 34 g carbohydrate, 35 g fat (14 g saturated), 61 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 5 g fiber.

Course: Main Dish
Yields: Serves 4 to 6

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm going to try it because rosemary and walnuts are two of my fav thing. Actually, with the exception of bananas, parsnips and licorice and its ilk, I eat most anything.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:53 pm
Farmerman:

You can also open a word doc and highlight anything you want to save on that doc. I have a big doc now!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:55 pm
@MonaLeeza,
I imagine adding pureed squash to a custard base (eggs and milk) then baking it in ramekins could be interesting.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:59 pm
@plainoldme,
I might have a recipe for that too, off to look.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 08:00 pm
@plainoldme,
It's true for me, the flavors sound like they work together ...

It turns out the recipes I use over and over and over have some spark that happens with just the right blend of ingredients, possibly even simple ones.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 08:05 pm
Here is a simple one: Butternut squash with asiago cheese and bacon.
Looks good and tastes good
http://0.tqn.com/d/cheese/1/I/p/2/-/-/asiago_squash.jpg

1 large Butternut Squash
1/3 cup half and half
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg, preferably freshly ground
6 strips cooked bacon
1/3 - 1/2 lb. Asiago cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 375
Cut squash into thin slices about 1/2 inch thick. Cover the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan with the squash pieces. It is okay if they overlap.

Pour half and half over the top. Sprinkle pepper, nutmeg on top. Cover the pan with foil and bake until squash is soft, about 1 hour.

Crumble six pieces of cooked bacon into small pieces. Remove the squash from the oven and sprinkle bacon pieces and grated cheese on top. Bake the squash fifteen minutes more uncovered. Let set 5-10 minutes before serving.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Nope, must have imagined a recipe for that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 08:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
My two favorite food groups.

1ASIAGO CHEESE

2BACON
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 06:51 am
Thank you all!! LOVE these recipes . .
Here's another;

Moroccan Squash Salad

3 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup evoo
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. light brn. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tps. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup cilantro or parsley
1/2 cup almond silvers

cook squash in salted boiling water 5 minutes or until knife tender and add raisins last minute of cooking. Drain and rinse w/cold water.
whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, sugar, salt cumin, cinnamon and cayenne in bowl. Add aquash, raisins, cilantro and almonds. Toss lightly and serve at room temp.
Very nice luncheon salad.
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:27 pm
(I have no particular standing, but as a meek little "for the record" postscript, I made the butternut squash and it turned out really well. No garlic. The last three times the spice I used was Penzey's Chinese Five Spice Powder [China cassia cinnamon, star anise, anise seed, ginger, and cloves]. Very nice. Savory but not too sweet [no added sugars].)
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:30 pm
@sozobe,
Did you serve the squashes as halves or as chunks of squash flesh.
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:31 pm
@farmerman,
Chunks. A bit less than an inch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:54 pm
@PUNKEY,
copying this one, Punkey..
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 09:40 am
Sorry to jump squashes, but I made this the other nite and it was delicious

Chicken Curry in Roasted Acorn Squash

1 small acorn squash, cut in half, rub with olive oil/salt and pepper and roast in oven for 25 mintues (mine took longer - test with knife)

Cook 12 oz. boneless, skinless chopped chicken breast in hot olive oil, add 1 red bell pepper cut up and 1 medium onion cut up. Add 1 tbsp. yellow curry, 1/4 cup golden raisins, and remove from heat, add 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream. Stir, blending everything.
Scoop into roasted squash, garnish with chopped cilantro.

(I removed the pan then added the milk so it did not curdle - glad I did. Lovin' that RED pepper )
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 01:25 pm
@PUNKEY,
Ats OK. Im pretty much interested in the entire genera of cucurbits
0 Replies