For edgarb, a recipe using moringa leaves

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:32 pm
This is just one - I suppose there are many others.

http://casaveneracion.com/clams-and-malunggay-soup-with-coconut-milk/

Me, I'd use canned clams, especially around here in badfish land. (I never let them boil at all). I have fish sauce in my refrigerator, but I figure an anchovy or two is a substitute... or even worcestershire sauce. Use unsweetened coconut milk.

Clams and mallungay soup with coconut milk

Ingredients

1 kilo of fresh clams (washed, soaked overnight in water, washed thoroughly several times and drained)
3 tbsps. of cooking oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 carrot, cut into thin rings
3 c. of malunggay leaves
2 c. of coconut milk
patis (fish sauce) to taste
freshly ground black pepper

Heat the cooking oil in a large pot. Saute the onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant, about two minutes. Add the malunggay leaves and cook, stirring, until wilted. Most cooks add the malunggay leaves after the clams and water has been added but, depending on the maturity of the malunggay leaves, they can take several minutes to cook. If the clams are already in the pot, they will get overcooked. So, I make sure that the malunggay leaves are almost done by the time I add the clams. I so hate overcooked seafood.

When the malunggay leaves have wilted, add the carrot slices. Pour in three cups of water. Bring to the boil. Pour in the coconut milk. Season with patis. When the mixture starts to boil, add the clams. Wait until the liquid boils, count two minutes then turn off the heat. Add freshly ground pepper and serve at once.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,739 • Replies: 2
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Many of the sites offering growing tips also have recipes. I am a very simple person, re eating. For instance, Friday, at Luby's, I bought a bowl of raw spinach, baked fish, mashed potatoes and beans. No oil or dressing for the spinach, no tarter sauce. Whenever I took a bite of the beans or potatoes, I first speared a leaf of spinach with the fork. I essentially plan to eat moringa leaves in a similar manner. The blossoms I will use for tea and the seeds in place of green beans. I think the recipe you presented is likely delicious, and I thank you. But I would never go to the length it requires to produce such a dish.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're welcome. I just ran across it when looking for a thai recipe for clams, and thought of you.
0 Replies