The Rescue of the Chilean Miners is Underway

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:47 pm
I think they are getting ready to bring the first miner up. Over 2,000 feet up, in a little tube, through a little tunnel.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01132/capsule-em_1132929a.jpg

On CNN I saw a picture they showed of the faces of the miners, and I saw at least a couple guys that look way too big to fit in that thing. I guess they'll be sucking in their guts. Wow, 69 days. That's like a full season of Big Brother.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/8/23/1282576969173/Poster-of-the-trapped-Chi-006.jpg

I guess the whole rescue is supposed to take about two days, if their estimates are correct and nothing goes wrong. And the whole thing will be watched live all over the world. Here's a place where there are some livestreams if you want to check it out.

http://www.damego.com/chile-miners-rescue-live-stream
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,118 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:51 pm
@kickycan,
Thanks, Kick.
kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Sure. Actually, it looks like there already is a thread about this, but it's not named something obvious (to me, at least), so I missed it. Oops. Sorry. Que sera' sera'...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:57 pm
http://able2know.org/topic/162643-1
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 09:29 pm
@kickycan,
Worry not, it's worth some threads.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:33 am
Americans could learn a lot from the Chilean people as the 33 miners are rescued. They came together to support and save the miners' lives. So much better than the political party fighting going on over the coming elections in the U.S.

BBB

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:47 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I have a question. The last man, one of the rescuers, must be able to lock the rescue tube's door correctly from the inside? I can understand how he could hook up the oxygen pack and other devises, but I can't figure out how he can lock the door so it doesn't come loose if no one is there to do it from the outside.

BBB
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:07 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
he will have to hold it shut with a handle or maybe a bungee cord held on the inside. Good question.

Looks like these guys are gonna get out in time to do their Christmas Shopping
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:25 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Americans could learn a lot from the Chilean people as the 33 miners are rescued. They came together to support and save the miners' lives. So much better than the political party fighting going on over the coming elections in the U.S.

BBB

I am sorry; but I thought Chili was part of America... One of them at least... They come in two's you know...Inner Mongolia, and outer Mongolia...That sort of thing... In any event, I do not know the answer to your question... It would seem that for most doors, there is a handle on the inside and the outside... Just like Hammers have claws so you can go both ways with a nail... Speaking from experience, it is damned difficult some times not having reverse on a motor cycle... You can't stop riding without thinking about riding later... Here I am, and how do I get out..
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:32 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
This is the American company that suggested their advice on how to rescue the miners. They also provided the equipment needed to reach the trapped miners. They were the perfect experts because they had the experience and equipment to drill through the very hard rock. They were already working in Chili and were able to get to the site quickly. Congratulations to them!

BBB

Welcome to Drillers Supply International
Manufacturer and Supplier of Mud Pump Parts, Drill Rig Parts, and Swivel Parts; Reverse Circulation Drill Pipe, Booster Compressors

Drillers Supply International is a quality manufacturer of replacement parts for the wide variety of mud pumps, centrifugal pumps, rig parts, and swivel parts found on the World market today. Such as Gardner Denver, Failing, Mayhew, National Oilwell, Emsco, Wheatley, and all others. In addition to supplying reverse circulation drill pipe and booster compressors Drillers Supply International is your #1 source for replacement mud pump and drill rig parts.

A highly trained staff uses state-of-the-art equipment and proven quality control methods to produce the finest mud pump replacement parts, reverse circulation drill pipe and booster compressors found in the market today.

http://www.drill-supplies.com/
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:37 am
@Fido,
They are send down a new person to replace one of the rescuers to give him some rest. I hope this replacement will have a bungee cord with him.

BBB
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:43 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

I fully agree ! I watched a good deal of the almost real time video (as I suspect BBB did) and was very impressed by both the efficient orgsanization of the effort and the evident warmth and humanity of the folks there - workers, managers, government officials and families. In many cases it was hard to tell them apart, but the unity and common purpose of their efforts and their concern for each other was a very uplifting thing to observe.
0 Replies