News from Camp Esperanza

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:00 pm
Are you going to be watching the rescue of the Chilian miners? It's scheduled to start pretty soon but I suppose it will be several hours before anyone is taken up. Still, I've broken my rule and turned on the TV this afternoon. I'm completely captivated.

Will you be watching?

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:04 pm
Is it today? I thought the first ones were coming up tomorrow. Yes, I'll probably turn it on.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:07 pm
Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I'm tuning in. Mentioned the other day to Bear that it is amazing how long they have survived and how Chili has responded compared to our trapped miner rescues of the past.

Heard the other day they were 'fighting' over who got to be last man up, rather than who would go first.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 01:07 pm
Looks like things will get going at about 5 PM EST:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/world/americas/13chile.html

Sure hope this phase goes well. This has been such a great story so far.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 01:19 pm
Heard on the radio the other day that one of the trapped miners has a wife and a girl friend who met when they both rushed to the mine site. He wants to be the last man out.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 01:25 pm
It has been an amazing story.

I remember when they projected to have them out by Christmas. It's so cool that they are months ahead of schedule.

I heard that they have all promised to not talk about what happened down there. Of course, the cynical media is already scoffing at that. It will be interesting to see if they all abide by the promise.

I hadn't heard about the wife/girlfriend problem. I imagine that the psychaitrists have tried to resolve that between the women!
JPB

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 01:36 pm
@boomerang,
Seems like there are lots of stories up above.

Quote:
'Camp Hope'
While the men endured their darkened days below, life at "Camp Hope" has turned into a spawning ground of intrigue, envy and rivalries that have divided the miners' relatives holding vigil here — just as their shared plight unites them.

After 68 days of shared fears and jitters — all of it under the close scrutiny of dozens of reporters that have now grown to a battalion — the early fellowship has frayed. Some relationships, once at least cordial, are as hostile as the desolate sands of the surrounding Acatama desert.

"Here the tension is higher than down below. Down there they are calm," said Veronica Ticona, sister of 29-year-old Ariel Ticona, a trapped rubble-removal machine operator.

Relatives privately shared stories of the divisiveness with an Associated Press reporter who spent the past month at the camp, frequently bedding down in a tent beside theirs, sharing coffee and gossip. stories...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 03:35 pm
You can watch it and the preparations leading up to it via live streaming here. It is all in Spanish:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/chile/8059674/Watch-Chile-miner-rescue-live.html

It looks like they are building some blockades around the hole to give the miners a bit of privacy when they first arrive above ground...at least that's what I assume is the use for the temporary walls I'm seeing being moved around.
sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 03:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's also on CNN...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:26 pm
A question I have is:

Won't the rescue cage be creating sparks from friction as it glides along the walls of the metal shield and then the rock walls of the shaft? And if so, won't that pose a heightened chance of fire since they'll also be using oxygen masks and oxygen tanks to breathe?
sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
I saw something about rubber wheels at some point (there are wheels on the outside, that will help it glide through the shaft).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:32 pm
Quote:
Pinera told the mother of 31-year-old Florencio Avalos that he'll be the first of 33 men to be rescued from the collapsed mine.

His mother, Maria Silva, says he's not surprised he was chosen and that she's very proud of him. Avalos is a married father of two children and one of the mining crew bosses.

Florencio Avalos will followed by Mario Sepulveda, 39, an electrician, and then by Carlos Mamani, the only Bolivian in the group, according to media reports, which cited government officials.

"We made a promise to never surrender, and we kept it," Pinera said, shortly before two rescue workers were expected to go down to prepare the miners for their trip. The president said the first miner will be brought up about two hours later.

It looks like they're still preparing the capsule. Have the rescue workers gone down yet?
sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:35 pm
@JPB,
Not yet. It's been "soon" for a while, so while they're saying "soon" now, I don't know how soon that'll actually be.
JPB

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:37 pm
@sozobe,
ah, thanks. It's going to be a while yet then. I'd read earlier that they wanted to wait until dark so that the miners didn't have to adjust to daylight. No idea if that's part of the delay...
sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:45 pm
@JPB,
I think the whole process will take a while... getting the capsule set up, getting the paramedic in it, getting him down there (maybe 20 minutes), then he/she examines people to make sure they're ready to go up, then get them situated, then pull the first guy up.

Just from the pictures it looks twilighty now. (Have CNN on.)

The article above said they planned to start at 5 EST (6 PM their time), it's almost two hours past that now. Maybe "start" just meant start the preparations, which might be mostly invisible.

edit: turned back to the TV and looks like there's a guy actually in the capsule now (ready to go down) and the CNN supertitle is "ready to begin"
JPB

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:49 pm
@sozobe,
there seems to be some kind of delay with closing the capsule... I'm watching the live feed but not getting any commentary, so I have no idea... just guessing.
sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:56 pm
@JPB,
Now they're saying it's going in empty with cameras, then back up, then with the rescue worker.

I'm making dinner and checking in now and then so I'm missing important stuff I'm sure.

a-ha, "we shall begin the testing of the capsules in about two more hours."

wow, so nothing happening too soon.

I don't see anything about why though.

"we have hope that before today ends, at least one of the miners will be on the surface"
JPB

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 05:02 pm
@sozobe,
Well, I'm glad no one was in there that whole time they were fussing with that cable.

Yep... time for dinner.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 06:34 pm
Down she goes!
sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 06:38 pm
@JPB,
Cool!

I'm not watching it on TV anymore, so no updates from here...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » News from Camp Esperanza
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:27:10