Explain these Slangs

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 03:36 am
Pls make me understand these slangs, idioms

1. monkey on my back
2. chicken little says the sky is falling
3. three sheets to the wind
4. KBC

help will be greatly appreciated....these phrases i heard from songs but i couldnt understand their meanings ..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,219 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Eastree

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:32 am
1. "Monkey on my back" basically refers to a figurative burden or responsibility. For example, if someone shirks his responsibility in a situation and the problem falls to another individual, that person might (I haven't heard any one say it in a long time) say to the other, "You put the monkey on my back." Assuming what it would be like with a monkey literally riding on my back, I would assume that besides the burden of its weight, the monkey would be doing all sorts of annoying things, and generally be difficult to handle. This is most likely where the phrase originated.

2. "Chicken Little says the sky is falling" simply refers to the story of Chickem Little. I don't remeber the whole sty, since I last read it in second grade I think ... But it's about a chicken (Chicken Little -- duh) who is taking a walk when an acorn falls on its head. without seeking confirmation, Chicken Little assumes the sky is falling and runs to tell the king. Along the way, the chicken spreads the news to other animals, until the whole group shows up at the castle, ranting about the falling sky. But that's all I really remember about it. I'm sure if you Google "chicken little" you'll find the story, and at least someone should have the full text available in one version or another.

And about the other two, I'm not familiar with those sayings ... sorry
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:37 am
Hi Crucifixation and welcome, I can help you with three out of the four expression.

1. Monkey on my back--refers to something like a terrible habit. Make a mental picture of a monkey clinging to someone's back. The person can't reach the monkey. The person can twist right or left but is not be able to get the monkey off his or her back. So drug addiction, cigarette smoking, or something similar is referred to as a monkey on one's back.

2. Chicken Little is a children's story with a moral. Chicken Little was out having a snack and a pea landed on her head. She thought the sky was falling and ran from one barnyard animal to another announcing that the sky was falling and that she had to tell the king. What this boils down to is that if a pea lands on your head, don't assume that the sky is falling. Don't make a big deal out of something until you know what it is. Don't jump to conclusions. Any of these will do.

3. Three sheets to the wind. If someone is three sheets to the wind it means that the person is drunk. I don't know the source of the expression, but I assume it has something to do with sailing.

4. KBC. Sorry I can't help you with this one. I have no idea what these letters stand for. I'm sure that someone will come along and answer this question.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:10 am
ahh, thanks for the better info than i had! (though i was surprised at the difference between what ou know and what i know as "monkey on my back" ... it might be a regional thing?)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:26 am
I have a definition for KBC, that isn't Kenyan Broadcasting Corporation or King's Bench Court:

KBC Stood for "Kill Before Capture".
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:28 am
Captain Cuttle looking, candle in hand, at Bunsby more attentively, perceived that he was three sheets in the wind, or, in plain words, drunk
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:31 am
I'd have to say that the second explanation is probably the correct one. Tacking or turning about on the old square-rigged ships was a difficult task and if the head sails (jibs) weren't first correctly positioned the ship would just be blown around til they were taken care of.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 06:41 am
Eastree, I think our posts landed at about the same time. I didn't get to see yours before I wrote mine. The monkey business (sorry, no pun intended) is the way I understand it. It could be regional. Or we could both be right.

Chicken Little had an acorn land on her head? It makes more sense than a pea. But I do remember pea from my childhood. BTW, I thought then and I think now that CL was one stupid boid.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 06:52 am
They have audio on this one too!

http://eleaston.com/chicken.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:50 am
So KBC doesn't mean 'Kentucky's bride chicken?'
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:56 am
Phoenix, Thanks for refreshing my memory. It was an acorn. I don't know why I thought it was a pea. And I didn't remember the unhappy ending. Que sera sera.

Cav, I think it's Kentucky bride's chicken. Watch those apostrophes. They'll get you every time.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:58 am
Actually, I was referring to Mr. Kentucky marrying a chicken. Was I incorrect? Laughing
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:04 pm
thanks for all the explanations...

like i said before ..these i heard from songs..
so can they have other meanings to the differeant contexts??

i once asked these to a man in a metal/rock chat room

he told me KBC stands for Killing Brain Cell
and Three sheets to the wind means that your spouse is unfaithful

is he right??
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:10 pm
Re "three sheets": The explanations above are correct. Never heard it referring to marital infidelity...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:50 pm
Right, but monkey on my back was at one time specifically applied to a heroin addiction.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:00 pm
thanks

now what does "purty"mean?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:03 pm
"Purty" is a corruption of "pretty", used mainly in the Southern USA.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 06:46 am
thanks again

now help me with these

goof

gout

these i find in Archies comics
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 07:03 am
Those are both words you can find in standard English dictionaries:

Dictionary/goof
Dictionary/gout

Their intended meaning in the comics would depend on their context.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 07:09 am
Monger wrote:
Those are both words you can find in standard English dictionaries:

Dictionary/goof
Dictionary/gout

Their intended meaning in the comics would depend on their context.

thanks ...nvr thiugt these would be dictionaries
0 Replies