"I don't know, you know?"

patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:11 am
Like, totally.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:19 am
So you make a common place statement and tack on a "ya know what I mean?" No, I don't know. Was there like, some secret meaning in that mess of gibberish?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:40 am
Of course, roger. Nudge nudge, wink wink. A nods as good as a wink to a blind bat....know what I mean?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 04:24 am
Patiodog: I can't for the life of me think of why to hell on a half brisket would be anti-semitic and my phrase origin search comes up 'no reference.' Question Question

The brisket that I barbecue is beef.

Do you think it refers to a bris Question

Joe
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 06:19 am
Thats what I was thinking too Joe, that its beef....

But I'm guilty thats one of my sayings....never really understood the handbasket thing.....ya know?

I hate it when someone starts off a conversation with..."ya know, the other day........
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 06:24 am
I had always heard, going to hell in a hand car. As hand car was what old timey railroad men called the pump-treadle carts that yard gangs used to go down the line, and there is a town named Hell, Texas, as a small boy i thought this was the meaning. I imagined Hell to be one extremely nasty little town, but couldn't form any images of what that entailed--simply that no one wanted to go there.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:06 am
Er, brisket (heavily sauced, with onions) is a traditional European Jewish dish (though you goyim may only know it as a cut of meat). Isn't there anyone from New York of Toronto around here?

For instance...

Quote:
Italian Jewish Style Brisket Recipe
Ingredients
1 beef brisket, about 5 to 6 pounds
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large carrot, cut in 1/4-inch dice
2 sticks celery, cut in 1/4-inch dice
1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig fresh rosemary
3 chicken livers (poached, if you keep kosher)
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 bottle red wine
1-1/2 cups chicken stock

Garnish: 4 sprigs of parsley, chopped

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Trim the brisket of most of its fat and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large, heavy casserole, and sear the brisket on both sides until it starts to brown. Remove the brisket from the casserole. Add the diced vegetables and garlic, and saute for about 5 minutes over medium heat or until onion is translucent. Add the rosemary, chicken livers, tomatoes, and bay leaf, and return brisket to casserole. Completely cover the meat with the wine, adding chicken stock if necessary.

Cover the casserole and bake in the oven for 3 to 3 and 1/2 hours or until the meat is fork-tender. If the liquid reduces by more than half during cooking, add a small amount of chicken stock.

Transfer the meat to a dish and keep warm. Remove the herbs, and puree remaining liquid in a blender with the vegetables and chicken livers until smooth. If the sauce is a little thin, return it to the casserole and reduce over medium-high heat until it reaches the desired consistency. Slice the brisket and arrange it on a deep platter with the sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley.

Yield: 8 servings

Credits
Recipe from: Chef Mark Strausman, Campagna and Fred's at Barney's New York
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:08 am
Nah, patiodog, a brisket is what a mohel carries around for emergencies.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:22 am
We have a hugely popular parody of the "Yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, shut up I never done nuffin! Stop giving me the evils"people over here, 'Vicky Pollard.' She says all the above within three seconds..
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:23 am
He would just carry a Swiss Army knife except for, you know, certain historical events.

(Great pun, cav. Truly. I'm grinning from ear to ear before my coffee.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:24 am
Patiodog, That recipe bears little resemblance to my mother's/grandmother's approach to brisket. Wine? Rosemary? Tomatoes? Livers? Nah. Too fancy shmancy.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:26 am
Hey, it's Italian. The one I'm accustomed to consists of onion soup mix, pearl onions, and ketchup. And a brisket, of course.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
Ketchup? Okey dokey. Your recipe sounds closer to my mother's. No onion soup mix, though.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:31 am
Eewww...I have two favorite brisket recipes. One just involves cutting up a bunch of onions, studding the brisket with bacon and bay leaves (yeah, not a Jewish recipe there), covering it, and cooking in a slow oven until done. The fat from the brisket, and the long cooking time make the onions nice and brown, and incredibly sweet. I also like to dry-cook brisket with BBQ spice for many hours at a very low heat in the oven, as I don't have a proper BBQ. Always tasty, and makes great leftovers to use in other dishes. Tossed some up with egg noodles and a white wine cream sauce recently.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 05:14 am
Yum. Pass the mashed.

Joe
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:03 pm
patiodog wrote:
Hey, it's Italian. The one I'm accustomed to consists of onion soup mix, pearl onions, and ketchup. And a brisket, of course.

Nice!
I like the ketchup.
0 Replies