Absolute truth?

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:52 pm
@Cyracuz,
O.K., if that's the way you define "absolute"--the absence of relativity, not you AND that, but you ARE that. Zennists sometimes call it emptiness, no-mind, or sunya.
north

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:14 pm

look

absolute truth is not an experience

absolute truth is the understanding of the absolute truth of the constituents which make up the objects which then experience
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:19 pm
@JLNobody,
Any "happening" its absolute...it IS!
The extension in the relation from where the operational boundarys functionalize the fact may well be relative in between the operators...in their layer ring...but the fact itself is absolute!
JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:15 pm
@north,
Yes, North. If you want to experience the "Absolute" LOOK rather than think. Absolute "truth," as you put it, suggests omnicient thinking that produces omnicompetent propositions ABOUT the world. That doesn't happen, even by Einstein.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:15 pm
@north,
Yes, North. If you want to experience the "Absolute" LOOK rather than think. Absolute "truth," as you put it, suggests omnicient thinking that produces omnicompetent propositions ABOUT the world,
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 12:48 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Let us suppose there is a five-dimensional lifeform in the realm we call "anti-matter" who as you read this in your "timeframe" is taking its kids to school somewhen. I challenge you to associate that with your concept of "happening". Wink (Note that physics currently requires at least ten dimensions in current explanatory models)
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 03:05 am
I haven't really thought of absolute truth in these terms before. I was thinking about how every articulated truth is merely a version, how conscious thought itself creates a division between percieved objects that perception itself.
There may not be much to be learned from meditation in the way of hard facts, which is what people tend to associate with the word truth.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:28 am
@fresco,
...Knowledge on "Happening" must not be, to all out there hypothetical potential observers...one suffices to make an absolute fact.

I guess I explain it above in my last post...

My observed relation with the phenomena its functionally entangled with it...
...The phenomena its only relative if I divide it in have, thus separating the operators in the function which binds them together...

...my concrete relational circumstance, my condition, my specificity with the background, as it is, holistically, with all variables that conditioned my state of affairs, even my capacity to measure up to X of Y, as it is witnessed, and experimented, immediately functions !
ITS "there" (somewhere) at least to me...how it does work for others does n´t diminish how it works for me, nor its objectivity...(objectivity in the sense that mechanically operates its not magic)
..."Others" as observers include different sets of variables in the entangled relation they observe...again also objective given their specifics !

...you in turn throw all out of the airlock, my dear friend...as if there were any other transcendental criteria for Reality aside witnessing...your left with empty pockets, a hand full of nothing...

(A pleasure as usual to "fight" with your concepts !... Wink )

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:58 pm
@Cyracuz,
I try not to use the term, truth. I prefer something like propositions about the character of phenomena. Analagously, I paint combinations of shapes and colors, and their beauty lies in how people respond to them. There is neither absolute "Truth" nor objective "Beauty" that I'm trying to capture.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 07:50 pm
@JLNobody,
What I meant to suggest was that the experience of an enlightened moment, the presence of the moment itself could perhaps be characterized as an experience of absolute truth.
But I see your point, I think. Taking this "absolute truth" with us from that moment is impossible. It only exists then and there, which makes the word "truth" a bad description of the phenomena.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:07 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, it exists--if it exists--only then and there. Then it's gone, til next time.
0 Replies

Food For Thought

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:27 pm
Absolute truths as followed:
Tax
Life
Death
Tax..
War
Violence
...More Tax
Debt
Etc.

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 04:47 am
@Food For Thought,
You forgot love. Without it there would only every exist beautiful people, since physical attraction would be the only thing bringing us together .
JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 11:23 pm
@Cyracuz,
Maybe that (love) is what FFT means by "etc.".
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:01 am
@JLNobody,
Yes, that might be the case.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 08:43 pm
Is it useful to distinguish between OBJECTIVE truth and SUBJECTIVE truth? The former pertains to Science and the results of its methods. The latter pertains to the kinds of insights we gain from philosophy and some fictional literature.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:21 pm

the absolute truth is what the Universe is made of and then hence living beings
JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 09:16 pm
@north,
Well put, but I'm only concerned with the Ultimate Truth of my relationship to everything, which--I have gathered so far--IS me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 09:16 pm
@north,
Well put, but I'm only concerned with the Ultimate Truth of my relationship to everything, which--I have gathered so far--IS me.
0 Replies

justintruth

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 03:15 am
@Hermod,
And then there's this problem:

"There absolutely is no absolute truth"