Absolute truth?

guigus

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 10:07 am
@Dasein,
Dasein wrote:

I'll bet you think your piddly opinion means something. Too bad!

When you get outside of the small boundaries you have created for your 'self' you will find that your opinion doesn't even matter to you.

Please go read Heidegger for the 1.980.349th time and give us a break.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 10:21 am
@Cyracuz,
Good point, but that's the reason why it's difficult to tie down absolute truth; we are coming from many different directions in trying to interpret its definition that are subjective.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 10:51 am
@guigus,
If there is anybody on this planet who doesn't need a break, it is you guigus.

Your request for me to "shut up" is denied.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:31 pm
@Dasein,
Is "Be-ing" the avoidance of "becoming"?
Just asking for the sake of asking. I have no idea of what would constitute a good answer. But let's see what pops into your head.
hamilton

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:32 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

"just be yourself"...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:02 pm
@hamilton,
Actually, you're becoming a being.
hamilton

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
that too...
0 Replies

royable

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:36 pm
@djjd62,
Right! that's as absolute as absolute can be. Smile
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:36 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Just asking for the sake of asking. I have no idea of what would constitute a good answer. But let's see what pops into your head.
Intriguing question.

'Becoming' is the 'common sense' way of describing the process of 'uncovering'. What you are really doing is satisfying your curiosity with the 'concepts' of living and thinking that the acquisition of the understanding of those concepts contributes to your 'becoming'. You really aren't 'becoming' anything at all.

The process that 'becoming' addresses doesn't really happen that way.

'Becoming' is an entanglement that communicates to you and the world that there is something 'missing' about you and everybody else and that when you (and they) find what is missing you will become whole so you can 'Be' who you are (freedom).

To participate in 'Becoming' you have to agree: 1) that something is missing, 2) that you have to 'walk your own path to enlightenment' to find what is missing (earn something), 3) that while 'walking that path' you have to acquire knowledge (memorize concepts and insert your 'self' into those concepts), 4) that you have to share that knowledge with others (under the guise of 'helping them to understand'), and lastly 5) you have to be adept at debating with others to 'convince' them that you 'know' what you are talking about so you can reinforce to your 'self' and others that you are 'on the way' to 'becoming'.

'Becoming' is an entanglement that has been 'shoved down your throat' since the moment you were born and it is so ingrained in our way of being with each other that we don't question it and see it for what it is. Therefore we don't even consider that we have a choice in the matter.

What would your life look like if there were no 'path'? Nothing to earn?

You have to 'Be' before you can entertain the notion of “becoming”. I say that each one of us is 'whole' just the way we are and that we have agreed to participate in 'becoming' with each other. It fills up the time we have on the planet. Just about everybody goes to their 'death bed' not knowing they have been bullshitting themselves. What if you replaced “trying to understand” with 'knowing'? What would you do with all the time you just gained?

What would you do with all that freedom? When confronted with the enormity of 'freedom' would you skitter back to the safety of 'Becoming' (predictability)?

I suggest that there will come a time when a 'critical mass” of individuals will have chosen to put down this turd. When this 'critical mass' is reached 'Becoming' will no longer be an acceptable behavior. 'We' as a whole will see it for what it is, a way to distract our 'self' and others from 'Be'-ing, free.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:06 am
@Dasein,
Your interpretation of becoming is too complicated. What I try to do is look at the simplest form of human life on this planet to see how happy they are with themselves and within their own society. Take away all the materialistic junk we call luxuries, and live a very simple life that provides total satisfaction to the self. That's real "becoming" in my books.
Dasein

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you for perfectly demonstrating what I said.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:33 am
@Dasein,
You're welcome. Wink
Dasein

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
By the way, you don't do what you have described. I have read many of your posts and what you do is closer to what I wrote than you think. You really haven't simplified your life as much as you present it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:09 pm
@Dasein,
You must know me better than me. Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 02:11 pm
@Dasein,
You're intelligence is unquestionable, and that is shown most clearly in this post. I still disagree, but only in a formal sense. For me all is process, every so-called "thing" is BECOMING other than what it is at any time. It's like Heraclitus' principle that we cannot step in the same river twice. Indeed we cannot do that because both the river and "we" are never the same. All is change and impermance (I take these principles, of course, from Nietzsche and zen). However, if you understand "Be-ing" to be a process, a process in which a subject is attempting to maintain a static ontology by perpetuating itself dynamically we are closer than we think.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 03:16 pm
@JLNobody,
I take Be-ing to be a process by the sense that you (and Hiedegger) are using the gerund verb form. In this sense ego is perpetuating itself as a process rather than a static is-ness. JLNobody is JLNobodying.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 03:57 pm
@JLNobody,
No question about it being a process.

The ripening of a peach is also a process during which the peach is whole from beginning to end. However, the peach reaches 'fulfillment' just before it is fully ripe after which it begins to rot and then deteriorates into the earth.

Filling a glass with water is another process. The vast majority of the time 'becoming' is expressed as if it is like filling a glass with water and that there is always so much more to go until the glass is filled. This is what I was referring to in my previous post.

However, I see humans, 'Be'-ing, like the moon. The moon is whole even though you can only see this side of it. It is a continuous 'uncovering' or discovery.

The interesting thing about the peach and the glass is that they both have a 'stopping point'. 99.9999% of the people on the planet are like the peach and the glass of water and have reached their 'stopping point'. They don't realize that they have concluded their discovery process. These people are the ones who have 'marked their territory' and are defending it 'to the death'.

The evidence of the 'problem' shows up in speaking with each other. If I am like the moon and 'Be'-ing the 'discovery' process and I attempt to communicate with a person who is living their life as if they have reached a 'stopping point' then the whole conversation is about the 'stopping point' and the reasons why that person stopped the discovery process.

The conversation between you and I is unusual in comparison to most of the posts on this forum. Most of the participants on this forum consider themselves to be like a peach which can ripen and then rot or a glass of water which needs to be 'filled' before it is 'whole'. They have concluded the 'discovery process' or are delaying it until the glass gets filled and haven't taken the time to notice what they have done.

All they can do is express their being right, (righteousness).
Dasein

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 04:05 pm
@Dasein,
I meant "when it is fully ripe" after which it begins to rot and then deteriorates into the earth" in my last post.
north

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:06 pm

without the sun all this " becoming " is well ....irrelevant

absolute truth be known and it is
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:52 pm
@north,
Yeah, but it's because our environment is conducive to life forms that we are here. In other words, your "without the sun" prologue, nothing would exist anywhos. We're beyond that point in the discussion, I believe.