north

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 09:57 pm

cicerone imposter

do you agree that there are actual absolute truths ? fundamentally

agree or no ?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 10:11 pm
@north,
It really can't be answered by a simple yes or no. It depends on what you define as truth, and whether you are talking about materialistic or ethical truth - and everything else in between.
north

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 10:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It really can't be answered by a simple yes or no. It depends on what you define as truth, and whether you are talking about materialistic or ethical truth - and everything else in between.

we are not defining just truth , but " absolute truth " here , hence materialistic absolute truth

melisawilson

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 01:42 am
@Hermod,
The absolute truth is: ,The one who loveth not, hath not seen God, for the Love is God and God is Love
guigus

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 07:21 am
@north,
north wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

we are not defining just truth , but " absolute truth " here , hence materialistic absolute truth

You cannot be that naive: absolute truth is materialistic just for materialists, as it is idealistic for idealists. For me, absolute truth is absolute.
guigus

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 07:22 am
@melisawilson,
melisawilson wrote:

The absolute truth is: ,The one who loveth not, hath not seen God, for the Love is God and God is Love

Although I don't strictly agree with you regarding absolute truth, it certainly doesn't make much sense to live without loving people. And since "philosophy" means "the love of wisdom," philosophers should pay more attention to love than they had been lately.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 09:52 am
@guigus,
You never waver - as an idealist? I don't see how that's possible.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 08:33 am
@guigus,
Idealism is the avoidance of materialism.
Materialism is the avoidance of idealism.
Both are the avoidance of 'Be'-ing.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 08:43 am
@Dasein,
Never mind the fact that materialism is an idealism in itself...
JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 01:20 pm
@Cyracuz,
Good. So is anti-idealism.
hamilton

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 01:26 pm
@JLNobody,
wow. that makes sense, but it doesnt.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 01:30 pm
absolute truth exists, because some things cant be proven otherwise.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 05:16 pm
@hamilton,
...not just some things...that´s the issue...
guigus

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 05:45 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Never mind the fact that materialism is an idealism in itself...

And you are a good example of both.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
all things...?
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 08:16 pm
@guigus,
guigus wrote:

north wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

You cannot be that naive: absolute truth is materialistic just for materialists, as it is idealistic for idealists. For me, absolute truth is absolute.

you don't get it here , without the materials , idealistic ...whatever it is, is irrelevant

north

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 08:25 pm
@Dasein,
Quote:
Idealism is the avoidance of materialism.

true , the importance of materialism , for form , life forms

Quote:
Materialism is the avoidance of idealism.

ahh... NO ( above )

Quote:
Both are the avoidance of 'Be'-ing.

materialism doesn't , materialism understands its place for any 'Being ' to manifest

that the point for " my" materialism

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 03:20 am
I would like to point to the fact (again) that idealism is a very broad term, and that materialism is merely one of many existing idealisms. Therefore, saying that you are not an idealist, but a materialist is a bit like saying "I am not religious, I am a christian".
guigus

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 03:31 am
@north,
north wrote:

guigus wrote:

north wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

you don't get it here , without the materials , idealistic ...whatever it is, is irrelevant

You are correct in saying we do not exist without the "materials." But conversely, you don't have those materials without someone to notice them: whenever you imagine the world without you, that's always you imagining the world without you. That's the old battle between materialism and idealism, which are both partially right, partially wrong.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:34 am
@north,
I'll bet you think your piddly opinion means something. Too bad!

When you get outside of the small boundaries you have created for your 'self' you will find that your opinion doesn't even matter to you.