Absolute truth?

north

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I do not believe cement has anything to do with philosophy. It's not about sophistry; it's about basic knowledge about the world around us that doesn't require "seeking truth."

we are discussing " absolute truth " here , what are you discussing then ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:48 pm
@north,
To me, philosophy is about "what is life?" What is our reality, and how is it impacted by our genes and environment? To me, cement is cement, the sun is the sun, and the configuration of the planet earth is always changing. Humans are social animals, but nature allows us to live on a higher or lower plain than other life sources on this planet. Why has evolution allowed us to reach this level of humanity? To me, those are the truths I seek.
north

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

To me, philosophy is about "what is life?" What is our reality, and how is it impacted by our genes and environment? To me, cement is cement, the sun is the sun, and the configuration of the planet earth is always changing. Humans are social animals, but nature allows us to live on a higher or lower plain than other life sources on this planet. Why has evolution allowed us to reach this level of humanity? To me, those are the truths I seek.

and what do you find here above , in your thinking , that is an absolute truth ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:08 pm
@north,
I question "absolute truth," because we are very subjective animals. Many believe in god(s), I don't.
north

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I question "absolute truth," because we are very subjective animals. Many believe in god(s), I don't.

I don't believe god(s) either

look , to see the absolute truth of things is to put your perspective in the situation of you NOT being present
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 11:52 pm
@north,
The only way I'm not going to be present, is when my ashes are spread in the Pacific Ocean.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:08 pm
besides existence, absolute truth does not exist.
north

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:08 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

besides existence, absolute truth does not exist.

then absolute truth does exist , since there is no " besides existence "
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:15 pm
@north,
Maybe I have this wrong!

Every word known to man is a construct. Does this mean that constructs can be absolute even though the word absolute is a construct it self?
north

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:32 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Maybe I have this wrong!

Every word known to man is a construct. Does this mean that constructs can be absolute even though the word absolute is a construct it self?

depends on the word , not all words are absolute in their meaning or description of but some are , such as absolute

absolute means that there are no arguments against , regardless of perspective

absolute truth has just that quality

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:38 pm
@north,
Then why have there been so many arguments about this thread?
Could it be in the interpretation of constructs?
Who has the absolute authority in defining these constructs? LOL
north

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Then why have there been so many arguments about this thread?

lack of the depth of thought

Quote:
Could it be in the interpretation of constructs?

it seems so , sometimes and misunderstanding really
Quote:

Quote:
Who has the absolute authority in defining these constructs? LOL

those of sound reasoning

for instance , we know that a tree is not a rock and a rock is not a tree and never could be
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 01:18 am
@north,
False, trees can become rock.
Dasein

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes trees can become petrified and become rock, however, once they become rock they are no longer trees.

Rocks are rocks and trees are trees unless like dinosaurs and plant life they become petrified.

You know what north was talking about. Haven't you got better things to do than to spend your time being a contrary simpleton? My past experience of you says that you are more intelligent than that.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:18 am
@Dasein,
Tree becomes petrified and becomes rock. Rock becomes crushed into fine sand in which a seed one day lands. Seed blooms into a tree by taking nutrients that are found in the sand it landed in, and the rock has become tree again. Haven't you got better things to do than to spend your time being a contrary simpleton?
Dasein

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 02:09 pm
@Cyracuz,
But the sand doesn't turn into a tree, you effin' moron. The seed does!!!!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 02:12 pm
@Dasein,
The seed needs a place for it to grow into a tree.....
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 02:43 pm
@north,
Ok I do agree with you!

Do you have any more examples of absolutes that are more complex that people often fail to understand?
Thanks
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:59 pm
@Dasein,
Lol, Dasein, you are a parody of a thinking human.
How do you suppose the seed becomes a tree? Does the matter that makes up the seed magically multiply? Where does the additional matter that makes the tree come from? Is it locked away in the tiny thing that lands in the ground?

What do you think happens with the stuff you eat? Does it just pass through you? No. Your body uses the matter you put into yourself as food to build new cells and renew itself. If you eat a burger, part of what used to be a cow now is altered and becomes you. It becomes the cells your body is made of. The same way with a tree. For the seed to grow it needs additional matter to transform into "tree", and nowhere can that be found except in the ground which the seed lies in.

When you actually start thinking, give me a heads up, eh?
0 Replies

krebbet

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 10:20 pm
@Hermod,
yes there are absolute truths. Things are the way they are despite our knowledge of them and so they are truely themselves.

The question should be can we know something to be absolutely true. and the answer to that is contextual, can we know a real thing (something in objective reality) to be absolutely true? in short no, since all we have is perceptions based on interactions with these 'things' to give us information. and to know something to be true we cannot use empirical evidence. although i guess it would be absolutely true that I perceived a green balloon (or whatever and whether that perception actually relates to anything real does not effect the truth of the perception itself in relation to you.)

if that doesnt do it for you, Then what can we know to be true, the first is conceptual forms (if a then b. a therefore b). We may know them to be absolutely true since they are abstractions referring only to forms we have presupposed. the second is arguable the I think from descarte.