Our Parents Are Our Parents. Who Else Are They?

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:48 pm
This is a wonderful thread, Roberta, but perhaps a little close to the bone, right now, for me to make a contribution about my own parents. But I have been reading & thinking, thinking, thinking ...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 05:16 pm
fishin', You were lucky to have sources and to have asked the right questions at the right time of the right person.

Quinn, You were most fortunate to have had that extra generation of information. My grandmother had great grandchildren. I doubt that the kids remember her, but she took great joy in them.

drom cherie, You're in your twenties?! I'm falling over from shock. No, I didn't think you were an old fart, but I certainly thought you were older than that? Why? Maturity. Not age.

BiBear, Quint. Oh, to have had such a grandpa. A salty old dog. Great.

Osso, I'm glad you got to the point where you could say it at all.

Olga, Nuff said. I understand. This thread had gotten me thinking and thinking too. And I was already in the midst of thinking when I started it.

My maternal grandfather was a construction worker. He's one of the men who made New York tall. My paternal grandfather--I have no idea what he did for a living.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:04 pm
Roberta, like your new avatar, due cavalli..
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:33 pm
Iam sitting here half typing half watching the original black and white film Father of the Bride with my grandmother. After spending 3 hours chatting, looking through photo albums and listening to some really great celtic music, i could fill a least one full forum page with stories. So many stories, so many that i have heard many times before as well as things i never knew. My Grandma really loved my Grandfather but he was far far from the ideal husband. I see alot of myself in him. I have lived with her in the past and we used to sit up very late just chatting. I do have alot of friends, many close relatives yet my grandmother is just about the only one who i feel comfortable around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:07 am
Good, Cinder, I am glad for you that you have these times.
I remember talking with you on art chat. Do you still have that job with such long hours?
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:34 pm
Been back in college since september. doing well and loving it. the hours are longer now but its enjoyable Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 02:51 pm
I thought this would be the appropriate thread to say that my mother died this morning at about eleven o'clock. She was 93.

What I didn't know about her will remain unknown.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 03:15 pm
I'm very sorry to hear that, Roberta. My thoughts are with you. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 03:22 pm
Thanks.

I'm not sure why, but I thought of this thread all during the day. I thought about the things that I said and that all the other folks said.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 03:27 pm
I'm sorry, Roberta.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 03:28 pm
I sent a copy of your very first post here to my two sisters. We'll all be with our parents this weekend and plan to learn more about their early lives.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 03:51 pm
My condolences, Roberta. Losing a parent is never easy. I wish you didn't have to go through this. You will be in my prayers...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 04:00 pm
Roberta, please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 04:51 pm
Roberta- I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you during this trying time.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 07:23 pm
Oh, Roberta, I'm so sorry.

You're in my thoughts!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 10:54 pm
Dear Roberta, we will all be with you in the next few days.

j.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 11:04 pm
(((((Roberta)))))
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 11:19 pm
Roberta, I am so sorry for your loss! There are no words to convey how much I believe your mom is at peace, she is in good hands, and is finally home. I hope you know how much we are all with you, in thought and spirit!

The following poem says what I feel, in my heart, and is one of my favorites.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
(Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!
Mary Frye (1932
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 05:41 am
I greatly appreciate your kind words and wishes.

Brand X, It pleases me no end to know that you're going to be asking questions and getting answers.

Misti, Thanks for the beautiful poem. It made me misty-eyed.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 08:06 am
Dear Roberta: I have been following this thread which has brought back so many memories of my mother, my dearest friend, who died at age 62.

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your mother. My thoughts are with you.
0 Replies