please add a photo of your feline/canine friend/fiend

kita

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:52 pm
The brown one's a brown Burmese (I think they're also called Sable when the breeders are trying to be larney).

Can't wait to see your pigsy - Siamese are usually such regal cats. My black cat (Shekura) is half-Oriental (ie. a solid-coloured Siamese) same big schnoz and ears but she's a complete cake! Absolutely no dignity.

Can we have more Possum & more of FLO please.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:54 pm
So how much money is a Burmese and where does a person get them?
0 Replies

kita

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:23 pm
Er, don't know where you are. I'm in Durban and she was R850 - rather a lot. But I'd imagine they're probably somewhere around what a Siamese costs. The Browns can be hard to find. They were the original one's and now there are umteen different recognised colours (blue, lilac, chocolate, red, cream etc. etc.) the breeders tend to focus on those.
But they really are magic cats (but then again... all cats are magic in their own way.)
The half-Oriental was free (I think her mother's owner was horrified that she'd done the dirty with some black/white 'pavement special'). I couldn't have got a sweeter cat if I'd written a list of the traits I wanted. Irreplacable.
The tabby was found in a rubbish bin at 4 weeks old and while he can be a brat (especially around food time) he's still a most gorgeous creature.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:28 pm
Aww thats so sweet of you to take in the little kitty. I'm from Canada.

" (I think her mother's owner was horrified that she'd done the dirty with some black/white 'pavement special')."

lol...I kinda feel that, my cat might be pregnant from some no name tom cat aswell, I hope not, but if so I'll still love her babies just the same.
0 Replies

kita

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:41 pm
My first question would be... how do you cope with her going on heat?

Kita & Shekura are only 2 months apart in age so the two of them in heat together was hell on them and on me. Eventually I cracked and had them both spayed. I really felt bad 'cos it was such a waste but I couldn't leave it as it was distressing them.

How old is pigsy?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:49 pm
Pigsy is 2. We live on a kind of acreage, so she just goes in and out outside whenever. She's hasn't been pregnant before,(she's a tease)and we have had other no name male cats that lived outside, they are fixed now but my sister dropped her male cat off at the house for awhile. So i dunno whats gonna happen. I used to give pigsy cat nip to mellow her out, but it wore off, and i felt bad for giving it to her. Are yor cats inside cats?
0 Replies

kita

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 06:12 pm
Wow, you're lucky to live with that much space! Wonderful for cats.

I kept the two girls in for a long time (about 8 months - I was so paranoid) but they have full range now and I find that they don't try and do in the bird-life (a big bonus) but grasshoppers, praying-mantis, gecko's, 1 poor, unfortunate house snake (they make an evil tag team) and of course snails seem to be fair game.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 06:24 pm
Are your cats in anyway timid. I heard that siamese cats tend to be a little strange that way. A one certain person kinda cats. I know my cat is like that. Everyone that comes over says pigsy is spinny, but i can do absolutely anything with her. She was wild when I got her. I had some neighbors that raised siamese cats, they started over populating the place and became wild. So I just went over there and caught her. And since then she will only let me play with her, well an now my bf ( I think she senses the love)...lol. Anyway, i'm rammbling.

And I have to ask, where is Durban? I've only heard that name used referring to home grown marijuana but thats another story.
0 Replies

kita

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 06:43 pm
Well, the tabby's like a one-man-welcome-party all on his own. He loves visitors. Gets all friendly.
The Burmese is a bit of a Madam, so it's kinda on her terms or not at all.
But the half-Oriental, she just freaks with strangers. Runs away from them, cries, hides in the cupboard or under the house till they're gone. It's even bad with people she see's on a regular basis - it's like she's got a really bad short-term memory problem. From one week to the next she forgets that she was OK with the person by the time they left.
The woman I got her from says it's the breed. She had 5 Orientals and none of them were keen to get close to me, and I'm normally good with strange cats.
But with me she's like my shadow. I can't go anywhere without her - can't even close the bathroom door without getting flack and a mournful face when I open the door.
So yes - I think it's the breed.
Can't believe your neighbours! Didn't pigsy land with her bum in the butter when you fetched her. I've got 3 and though I'm sometimes tempted, I don't think I could handle any more without feeling like I was spreading myself a bit thin. In winter it's a problem not having a big enough lap for 3.

And I do think cats are very good judges of character. If the cats don't like him - well, that's just the end of the story. And ditto if he doesn't like them.

Durban's in South Africa and yes, you're right about the home-grown - Durbs is famous (notorious?) for it amoung those who choose to partake.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 08:40 pm
Kita

Your cats are lovely - posing ever so nicely!

You can post pics of your cats in the Gallery <see up near the top of the page - Home-Forums-Portal-Gallery...> in the sectionA2K members - A2K pets, or similar, and then give the link here, as well. Possum's appeared a couple of times there! And about a thousand times anywhere else I can put him!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:11 am
Kita, they are really lovely!

Margo, aren't we cat people terrible with pictures? I have tons of cat pictures in my online photo albums. :-)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:56 am
Kita they are gorgeous! I love the last picture of all best. They seem to get on together very well?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:00 am
Kita they are absolutely beautiful I especially like the last photo

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11568/normal_rosie%20silhouetted%20on%20windowsill%20copy%20email%20etc.jpg

this is my little horror on the windowsill birdwatching
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:31 am
Vivien
Have you told her that she won't catch many birds through that curtain - or did you think it better not to? Wink
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:51 am
I definately thought it better not to! Very Happy

There's a bird feeder just outside that she likes to watch - you can see the silhouette of it.

There was a programme on the other night about caracal cats and cerval's (I'm not sure of either of those spellings!) and they were leaping way up in the air after birds (one caught a stork, way bigger than it was, and leapt about 6ft in the air to catch it as it flew off) - just like my little horror when she's playing. I do hope she doesn't catch any - she lurks behind plant pots stalking them in the garden.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:59 am
Good Dog...
Here's a pic I took of my friend's dog a few years ago in Melbourne.

http://www.lathamcommunications.com/images/twyspike_200.jpg

Cheers,

Jer
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:01 pm
Very Happy

The rotten Possum caught a bird a while back, and brought the thing inside, still alive. And then, let it go! (or it escaped)

I got home from work, walked into the house and this bird flew at me. Scared the wits out of me (or half, anyway!). I had the devil's own job getting it outside again, shutting off all the doors so it couldn't get into the bedrooms, or garage or whatever, shooing it towards wide open doors (this was in winter, so an open house is not too much fun!). I finally got it outside, much to Possum's disgust.

I still find bird poo in unexpected places Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:31 pm
Poor little bird! Sad
And Possum looks so INNOCENT in your avatar, marg. You would think he'd dream of doing such things!
0 Replies

kita

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:39 pm
Vivien - what a beautiful moody picture. Just sums up the 'lurk and wait' principal of the cat. I often find mine outside just sitting, very still, waiting for something - anything, to dare move. I call it 'being the Buddah'.
I actually removed the bird feeder left by the previous house owner - the tree it was in was just too accessable - it would have been a massacre!

They all get on well, at least after Anakin got over the shock of not being an only child anymore. He was so upset he pretty much stayed out of the house and pulled all the hair out of his stomach and the backs of his back legs! It was a bit tragic, but he got over it eventually.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:35 pm
Terrific photo, Jer!
Welcome t0 A2k, too! Very Happy
0 Replies