meaning of the part in bold

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 10:33 am
Teachers need to find fun and joy in being in school; to love what they do, as there is always a choice about the way we do our work. A mindset change is needed; teachers need to realise the potential that they are artists sent to 'design students' and thus to understand that with every choice made every day, they are creating a unique work of art, which will leave their indelible mark on the world.

Could somebody tell what the part in bold mean? I find it confusing.

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 539 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 11:09 am
@tanguatlay,
It's pretty straiht forward, I'd think. The writer of these lines is comparing the work of the teacher to the work of the artist. The artist is creating a work of art; the teacher is shaping a new human being. What's the problem?
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 11:32 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

It's pretty straiht forward, I'd think. The writer of these lines is comparing the work of the teacher to the work of the artist. The artist is creating a work of art; the teacher is shaping a new human being. What's the problem?
Thanks, Andrew.
'which will leave their indelible mark on the world.' Could you please explain the meaning of this part?

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 12:45 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Thanks, Andrew.
'which will leave their indelible mark on the world.' Could you please explain the meaning of this part?

indelible = permanent, everlasting.

You're welcome.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 06:53 pm
@Merry Andrew,
'which will leave their indelible mark on the world.'
I understand that 'indelible' is permanent, but what does 'their' refer to? Is it to the teachers or students? And what does 'permanent mark on the world' mean?

Thanks.

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 01:51 am
@tanguatlay,
they are creating a unique work of art, which will leave their indelible mark on the world.

'Their' refers to the subject 'they', i.e. the teachers. That they will leave a 'permanent mark on the wrold' is just a poetic way of saying that their work to create new citizens out of their students will have a lasting ('indelible') effect.

tanguatlay

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:02 am
@Merry Andrew,
Many thanks, Andrew.

Now everything is clear.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:22 am
@tanguatlay,
You're quite welcome. Smile
0 Replies