Regarding the place of a verb.

Razer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 12:40 pm
Sentence: We are all for secularism. Or. We all are for secularism.

My question: Which one of the sentence is correct? Does the change in the place of the verb "are" affects the sentences? Which place is more correct?

Thanks and Regards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 612 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 12:50 pm
@Razer,
Razer wrote:

Sentence: We are all for secularism. Or. We all are for secularism.

My question: Which one of the sentence is correct? Does the change in the place of the verb "are" affects the sentences? Which place is more correct?

Thanks and Regards

Grammatically, both sentences are correct. But the placement of the verb does trigger a subtle change in the meaning of those words. In the first example -- 'We are all for secularism' -- the 'all for' construction emphasizes that everybody's in favor of it. "I'm all for it" is a common colloquial expression meaning that I'm very much in favor of it. The second sentence -- 'We all are for secularism' -- states the simple fact that everyone is in favor without emphasizing how much we're in favor of it.
0 Replies

Razer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 01:56 pm
Oh! thanks a lot Andrew for explaining so lucidly. Smile
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:20 pm
@Razer,
You're welcome, Razer.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:42 pm
@Razer,
English has a normal neutral placement for adverbs. normal neutral means the way it is usually said and where no added emphasis/change of meaning is intended. Many adverbs change position to give added emphasis or to change the meaning.

I'd say that here, the change is one of emphasis. I don't see the distinction that Merry draws, but I may be missing something.
0 Replies

JazzMinnie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 02:59 pm
@Razer,
Both ways are correct.
0 Replies