Roberta

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 12:54 pm
@Fido,
I'm 64. I've had two kinds of cancer and brain surgery. I also have COPD. On a bad day, like today, I can barely make it across a room.

I have no interest fighting again--ever. And I haven't for many years. I was a little girl when I had fights.

I started this thread because that feeling of the release of anger was missing. And I remember it felt good. It wouldn't feel good now. It would feel crazy now. And be dangerous now.
chai2

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 01:02 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

They approached me, almost always. Lots of people wanted to be my friend. Go figure. I'm curious about your question.

Hi
I just figured you were a natural leader with the other kids.

I'm guessing not only were they the ones to aproach you for friendship, but they looked toward you (not in an obvious way) for what were the good games to play, what ya'll were going to do that day.

I'll bet you were the one that said "let's play (whatever)" and before you knew it, everyone was.
Roberta

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 01:10 pm
@chai2,
You're right. I don't know how you got that from our previous discussion, but you're absolutely right.

I'm impressed.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 01:38 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I'm 64. I've had two kinds of cancer and brain surgery. I also have COPD. On a bad day, like today, I can barely make it across a room.

I have no interest fighting again--ever. And I haven't for many years. I was a little girl when I had fights.

I started this thread because that feeling of the release of anger was missing. And I remember it felt good. It wouldn't feel good now. It would feel crazy now. And be dangerous now.

Too damned bad... You are too young to know such pain... I remember a movie, with that guy on all the salad dressing bottles, who did a movie about the wild bunch... I think the movie was called pocket money or something... In any event, he threw a rock at one of the other characters, a Mexican... And that was enough because he knew the guy would think of him everytime he looked at a rock in the road... You do not have to hit people... With sympathetic magic all you have to do is throw a rock in the direction of one you would hit, and it is like hitting them; you know, like pins in a voodoo doll... Well, it is too bad if you can't make a terrible fetish of your illness and stick a pin in that... Stand up to it... Tell it you are not going down without a fight... And then give it one... We all die...Death always wins; but there is a difference between those who submit, and bow their heads to accept the blow long before it strikes, and those who give death a run for its money...
electronicmail

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 02:23 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

BBB, Boxing is too regulated and organized. Too many damned rules. No kicking allowed. No biting. What kind of a fight is that?

My mother beat me all the time. Maybe I liked the chance to be the hitter instead of the hittee.

Did you ever hit your mother back? Abused kids often become abusers themselves. How old were you when your mother stopped beating you? What was her excuse for doing it? Did your father hit her?
Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:19 am
@Fido,
Fido, I've been giving death a good hobble (can't run) for its money. Cured of one cancer. They're checking the other regularly. Survived brain surgery and treatment. I'm now dealing with a major asthma attack. I will continue breathing in both directions for as long as I can. Some people here say I'm strong--a fighter. I don't see it that way. I'm a pragmatist. I find out what I have to deal with, and I deal with it.

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 01:21 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

Roberta wrote:

BBB, Boxing is too regulated and organized. Too many damned rules. No kicking allowed. No biting. What kind of a fight is that?

My mother beat me all the time. Maybe I liked the chance to be the hitter instead of the hittee.

Did you ever hit your mother back? Abused kids often become abusers themselves. How old were you when your mother stopped beating you? What was her excuse for doing it? Did your father hit her?

No, I threatened to hit her back. That's when she stopped hitting me. I was in my midteens. She didn't have an excuse. She just did it. My father never hit her or me. He was a gentle loving man.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 02:19 am
@Roberta,
Quote:

Bring it on bitch.
Fido

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 05:47 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Fido, I've been giving death a good hobble (can't run) for its money. Cured of one cancer. They're checking the other regularly. Survived brain surgery and treatment. I'm now dealing with a major asthma attack. I will continue breathing in both directions for as long as I can. Some people here say I'm strong--a fighter. I don't see it that way. I'm a pragmatist. I find out what I have to deal with, and I deal with it.

Hang in there... best of luck...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 05:48 am
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

Quote:

Bring it on bitch.

Finally found some one you can beat??? Look out; she might have a gun...
Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 06:45 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

laughoutlood wrote:

Quote:

Bring it on bitch.

Finally found some one you can beat??? Look out; she might have a gun...

No gun, but I'll bop him with my cane. C'mon, ya big lug.
laughoutlood

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 03:50 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
C'mon, ya big lug.

Right, that's it, I'll be having words with you.

How dare you imply my jejune, parvenu obloquy isn't up to scratch.
Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:16 am
@laughoutlood,
Didn't even know you had one of them. You wanna keep yours in good repair, don't cast aspersions, especially on old bats like me.
laughoutlood

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 02:34 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
especially
Quote:

If I don't cast then how will I real you in, kitten?
Roberta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 09:33 am
@laughoutlood,
I will not be reeled (or realed). And I haven't been a kitten in a dog's age.
0 Replies