meaning of passage

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:51 pm
“Those who live their lives believing it better to be feared than to be loved should expect that beneath the veneer of fear lies depths of derision. It is never nice to wish death upon anyone, but those who have the blood of [/b[b]]innocents on their hands have done much more than wish death upon others.”

Could somebody explain to me what the parts in bold mean.

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,048 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 08:28 pm
@tanguatlay,
This is my interpretation.

As often is the case, dictators, bosses or people in a leadership position, may cause fear in their subordinants but underneath that thin film, that emotion, the citizen, the employee is feeling a deep abiding hatred.

The blood of innocents, are victims of crime they had no part in creating. When you kill one innocent man, how many will become angry in response? How many lives have you affected? If your innocent child was taken and killed, would you not look for retribution? Multiply the deaths and you've created an entire class of victims. The untimely death of one person rarely ends a problem. It generally multiplies the problem.
Hope this helps.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:16 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

“Those who live their lives believing it better to be feared than to be loved should expect that beneath the veneer of fear lies depths of derision. It is never nice to wish death upon anyone, but those who have the blood of [/b[b]]innocents on their hands have done much more than wish death upon others.”

Thanks in advance.

Who ever wrote it has it wrong... There is no veneer of fear... Fear goes right to the bone, and I have felt it often, and no matter how often one overcomes it the future is uncertain and ones courage is always in doubt... The problem with fear is not so much the fear, and what people must do to survive and function in spite of their fear, but that in fear there is much pain, and if one cannot dismiss fear and the liklyhood of pain from ones mind and act with reason and courage, then fear becomes hate...And hate too is a flight from reason, and one that soils the soul with acid, and injury... Fear never really hurts us until we let it become hate...

In addition, the writer of those lines was cultured, and is aloof from human suffering...It is never nice to wish death... Nice is so civil, and that make the killing of innocents so much more than never nice.... Such civilized babble makes me puke... With every death humanity loses part of its story that can then never be told... With every death, judged innocent or guilty humanity steps closer to extinction... When we celebrate the deaths of even our worst enemies we celebrate our own deaths... It is not only never nice to wish death, to cause death, to snatch the life no one can conceive of except by accident; but is inhumane... Death is our common enemy... Death is our common fear, the fear of all life forms...

The way we live is a crime against conscience... Life is all we have, everything that gives all we know meaning... As terrible as it is to snatch the life out of a living body, it is a far worse crime to make people wish they were not... Six million Jews were exterminated but all the rest were robbed of their humanity for the few who had to curse the day they were born...

We don't kill people in society and take what is theirs... That is illegal... What is legal is to take what belongs to others, their profit, their time, their dignity, their labor, their hope and leave them wishing their lives away from paycheck to paycheck, from day to day and year to year until they die, robbed of their meaning, and left with the shells of their lives... That is legal, and that is a crime, and legal or not, it is never nice...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 01:45 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
“Those who live their lives believing it better to be feared than to be loved should expect that beneath the veneer of fear lies depths of derision. It is never nice to wish death upon anyone, but those who have the blood of innocents on their hands have done much more than wish death upon others.”

Thanks in advance.

Jeeze, poor Tang. You ask a simple question, and you get inundated with philosophical nonsense.

The first bold passage means that you can make others fear you, but they will scorn you, too--they will laugh at you behind your back.

The second bold passage means that although wishing others dead is a bad thing, a morally repugnant thing, those who are responsible for the death of innocent people have done something much worse.

I have no comment on the implications of the quoted passage, or its literary worth.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 02:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Jeeze, poor Tang. You ask a simple question, and you get inundated with philosophical nonsense.

Yeah.
Fido

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 04:57 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

tanguatlay wrote:
“Those who live their lives believing it better to be feared than to be loved should expect that beneath the veneer of fear lies depths of derision. It is never nice to wish death upon anyone, but those who have the blood of innocents on their hands have done much more than wish death upon others.”

Thanks in advance.

The first bold passage means that you can make others fear you, but they will scorn you, too--they will laugh at you behind your back.

The second bold passage means that although wishing others dead is a bad thing, a morally repugnant thing, those who are responsible for the death of innocent people have done something much worse.

I have no comment on the implications of the quoted passage, or its literary worth.

Since you are simple; give him a simple answer...

No, that is not enough... Let me say... You have never been afraid, or you are only translating the stupidity of others into your own stupidism... Who ever the guy was never knew terror... He was too nice for that... He was removed enough from human pain to be clinical... And there is nothing clinical about fear, deep in your bones fear... I met a Polish survivor of nazi slave labor who could not express his pain and fear 50 years later... No one knows how much may have been guilt, of surviving, of helping, or witnessing and not helping... There was no scorn for his masters and torturers, no respect either, just a fifty year old nightmare of fear and hate...

Instead of raging on your betters, you might try to learn a little respect first... And this is only some friendly advice, because if you do not learn respect, you cannot learn anything worth the effort... Isn't that what Aristippus said of Athens in regard to Socrates??? The Bourbon kings had the philosophers on their payroll at times, but the had no respect, and so, what was said of them was true, that they forgot nothing, and learned nothing... They paid with their heads for their ignorance as people in war and revolution always pay for their general ignorance... And still there will always be ignorant people with their simple explanations deriding their betters, and not because they fear them, but because they fear them not, and cannot respect but out of fear...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:21 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Yeah.

Simpleton
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 10:47 am
Fido clearly needs to visit a psychiatrist or a priest, or (better) a bar or cafe where they will serve up a nice tall cool foaming glass of STFU.

Fido

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:11 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Fido clearly needs to visit a psychiatrist or a priest, or (better) a bar or cafe where they will serve up a nice tall cool foaming glass of STFU.

We could go together, get two straws, and you could kiss me under the table...
0 Replies