present or past forms of the verbs

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 04:14 am
Hi fellow members

Below is a suggestion to improve the postal system.

1) I would like to know whether I should use the present or past forms of the verbs in bold.

2) Are there any errors in the passage?

Many thanks in advance.

Customers will/would send to us the destination of the item that they want to be posted via e-mail and we return them a barcode which can/could be printed out and affixed on the current stamp position on the letter. Alternatively, we can/could also add value to our services by having customers send us the letters that they want posted by e-mailing us and we do the printing and sending of the mail for them. These two methods when implemented will/would both run on the basis of the introduction of the barcode stamps. The barcode stamps will/would allow customers to print out the stamps at their convenience without the hassle of purchasing stamps
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 675 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:45 am
You still are not showing any words in bold.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:46 am
Tang repreised this in another thread, and the question has been answered.
JTT

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:10 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
1) I would like to know whether I should use the present or past forms of the verbs in bold.

2) Are there any errors in the passage?

Many thanks in advance.

Customers will/would [1] send to [2] us the destination of the item that they want to be [3] posted via e-mail and we [will/would] return them a barcode which can/could [4] be printed out and affixed on the current stamp position on the letter.

Alternatively, we can/could also add value to our services by having customers send us the letters that they want posted by e-mailing us and we do the printing and sending of the mail for them. These two methods when implemented will/would both run on the basis of the introduction of the barcode stamps. The barcode stamps will/would allow customers to print out the stamps at their convenience without the hassle of purchasing stamps

My guess is that you are asking about the modal verbs, Ms Tan. They have no tense. In all the uses they all have future reference.

[1] You could use either will or would here. 'will' has a more definite sense while 'would' is more tentative [note that they both have future reference]. 'would' might be favored if this was a tentative plan

[2] The 'to' isn't necessary, though it is possible. It sounds more strident while without is more neutral/softer.

[3] 'to be' is also not necessary, though it too is possible.

Regarding the rest of the modal alternatives, the choice isn't one of tense. It's one of tentativeness/politeness/policy undecided/speaker intensity/and probably some other emotive feelings which are, after all, one of the main reasons for modal verbs.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Tang repreised this in another thread, and the question has been answered.

No, she didn't. If I have the right thread, that was different text and this question, at the point of your posting, had not been answered.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:39 pm
Many thanks to all of you.
0 Replies