How old were you the first time you smoked pot?

Ionus

Sat 23 Oct, 2010 06:30 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
you do like to take everything to the extreme don't you
Perhaps...but I do not like fence sitters or even worse those who claim to know more about human existence then the wisdom we have inherited from tens of thousands of years of different societies.

Quote:
some simply do it now and again for enjoyment, just because someone eats too much chocolate cake, doesn't mean i want chocolate cake banned
The problem is not the cake, it is the people who eat too much of it and then complain about others being skinny (to take your analogy a step further). The point is somewhat mute by us being in the situation where it is already banned; we are debating lifting the ban.

Quote:
none of my friends who smoked pot carried it on much after their mid twenties, a few do it a couple of times a year now, none of us became drug addicts, we hold a variety of jobs, some professional some not, pretty much average folks
Some people have sped and driven dangerously without result. Should we all do it or claim it is safe ? We all have to wear seat belts to save a few lives. Why have road rules ? Surely intelligent people can make up their own minds as to which side of the road it is best to drive on. Why is the government discriminating against adults who want to decide for themselves which side to drive on ?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 23 Oct, 2010 01:33 pm
@Ionus,
But no government makes rules what kind of car you have to drive or what brand of petrol you have to have to use.

There are rules from which age you are allowed to smoke in public (and where not) ...
djjd62

Sat 23 Oct, 2010 02:37 pm
radio god ron bennington makes no bones about his addictions and his sobriety, but when a discussion about drugs comes along and some one mentions pot as a gateway drug, he's quick to point out that everyone of his junkie friends drank milk as children but some never smoked pot, so maybe milk is the problem
0 Replies

Ionus

Sat 23 Oct, 2010 07:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But no government makes rules what kind of car you have to drive or what brand of petrol you have to have to use.
But they do make rules about the engineering of the car and of what grade petrol you can sell under a name.
Quote:
There are rules from which age you are allowed to smoke in public (and where not) ...
Yes, and the screams from smokers when those laws were introduced made it sound like a de-sexing operation without anesthetics.

How do we role back cigarettes and alcohol whilst allowing MaryJ to be legal ?

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 23 Oct, 2010 07:11 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I started as late as about nineteen I guess.

Mostly I didn't get much out of it....except I took up normal smoking for a while because tobacco was mixed in with the joints!

I really enjoyed it sometimes...but not many considering how much we all smoked...and I was SOOOOOOOOOO bored by the people who came over and just wanted to sit around all day inside commenting on how ripped they were.

It's fun if the people you are with are fun, I guess.

I almost never bother with it now.
Is that what 's in that cigarette, in the left side of your mouth ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 23 Oct, 2010 07:16 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I was probably about 12.
The parents of America r counselled on TV ads to confer with their children qua drugs.

I 'm not clear on what thay r supposed to say.
I 'm not sure what I 'd say, if I had a child.

Have u advised Mo as to drugs ?

David
boomerang

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 02:27 pm
I found a picture of Ionus!

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_laxipqMdsl1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg
boomerang

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 02:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Not yet. It hasn't become a real issue yet. They get a pretty good anti-drug message at school and he's still young enough that peer pressure on that topic hasn't reached him.

When the time comes I hope that I'll be honest with him.
Ionus

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 05:02 pm
@boomerang,
You are WAYYYY off the mark. I have several friends who smoke MaryJ and I havent told the narcs. But I dont want to stop you from guessing or pigeon-holing everyone.....you will be pigeon-holing all druggies together also, wont you ?
Ionus

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 05:05 pm
@boomerang,
So where parents use drugs, what do they say to their children ? Ice is OK, but crack is stupid ?
OmSigDAVID

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 06:16 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
You are WAYYYY off the mark. I have several friends who smoke
MaryJ and I havent told the narcs. But I dont want to stop you
from guessing or pigeon-holing everyone.....

you will be pigeon-holing all druggies together also, wont you ?
The Red Chinese did that; thay murdered them all.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 06:21 pm
@boomerang,
David wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Not yet. It hasn't become a real issue yet.
They get a pretty good anti-drug message at school
and he's still young enough that peer pressure on that topic hasn't reached him.

I 've done it (unexpectedly), after being confronted by a 4 year old girl.
When I get the strength up, I 'll tell u about it.

David
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:25 pm
Dude......today.....so like...40.....

.........{3hrs later}.....I wonder if Spider Man has a drivers licence.....a 7ft chicken just came to my door and asked if he could borrow my truck....7ft chicken........he had a Jamican accent......It is possible to subsume the usual liquid-gas or two-phase solution critical point into the same structure, as chemical statistical mechanics does, by the "lattice gas" trick of introducing concentrations of "atoms" and "vacancies" into the two phases as a new intensive order parameter.....why is sand so quiet......if we all agreed that water was not wet, how would we take baths......brown....broowwnn....broooowwwnnnn....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:33 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
So where parents use drugs, what do they say to their children ? Ice is OK, but crack is stupid ?
Well, my ex-girlfriend, Marilyn, told her 4 year old child, Nancy, essentially:
don 't take drugs, regardless of whether I do.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:57 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Much of what you say shows a mind-set so rigidly enslaved to the official "party line" of thought as to be argument-proof.
Ionus wrote:
If you have seen Borus movies you would have known they were out to shock people out of their standard way of thinking.
MaryJ is becoming mainstream. What is the next to be knocked over by the swinging pendulum of public opinion ?

There is certainly momentum in the direction of let everyone get their jollies
because we dont need a world with denial...we are too rich for that.
Did we create government for the purpose of restraining OURSELVES from self-destructive behavior
and invest it with jurisdiction to do so ??????????????

NOT in MY part of the world, we didn 't.

(I have no comment as to authoritarian states.)

David
OmSigDAVID

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:12 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
you misunderstand.

I think the squirrel with a machine gun represents you perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing.
I know a guy who has a tiny belt-fed .22 caliber mini-machine gun (not the beloved M134).

Its a tailgun on his Harley.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:37 am
@boomerang,
David wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Not yet. It hasn't become a real issue yet.
They get a pretty good anti-drug message at school
and he's still young enough that peer pressure on that topic hasn't reached him.

Here 's my (humble) experience with it.
In the 1970s or 80s, my girlfriend, Marilyn,
& her 4 year old child, Nancy, were living with me.
Marilyn had fallen on destitution.
She 'd lost her job as an executive secretary, for drug related reasons (absenteeism).

She got on NY welfare.
One day, after drinking most of a pint of 161 proof Puerto Rican rum,
she told me that she was going to place Nancy in her car,
get her welfare $$ and drive to a crack house, for the day.

I pointed out that her driver's license had expired,
as had her NY license plates on her car, in addition to her state of inebriation.

She was undissuaded.
I felt like she had (not quite, but almost) announced suicidal plans.
I did my impression of Gov. George Wallace standing in the door.
(I KNOW that is not libertarian: MY BAD. Shame on me.)
She got upset and threatened to call the police.
I invited her to use the fone, present right there, to call the police
and explain the situation, of what I was preventing her from doing.
For some reason, she decided against that.

While we were discussing this situation (arguing, not quarrelling),
little Nancy pipes up something like: "we are going to the crack house",
in support of her mother 's position, and resisting my interference.

I sat down next to Nancy and quietly explained the nature of addiction,
its desperation, and violent crimes committed in furtherance thereof.
I explained the dangers of unexpected overdose and of abruptly losing her mother.
I explained the slavery to chemistry, of addiction.
I told her of sicknesses from dirty needles or from dirty drugs,
and of having her mother's life shortened. I explained that once the mistake (of fatal overdose)
was committed, the mistake coud not be corrected.

Marilyn was seated about 4 feet away, hearing this; she tacitly approved my quiet rant.

Maybe it worked; Nancy has since been married n divorced
with a child of her own, whom I have not met in Las Vegas.
She never became a dope addict, so far as her mom has informed me.

Marilyn has also informed me that after 2 hospitalizations,
she has ended all addictions except tobacco.
(I did not let her smoke in the house.)

My advice was based upon advice that I got from MY mom
when I was about 8 or 9. She was brief n to the point qua the dangers of addiction.

In my mind, that stuff is poison (referring to opium derivatives, not to cannabis, whose odor I like),
unless used under medical supervision; (even then, it has made me feel sick).

We all know that it has ruined many, many otherwise successful lives.

David
Ionus

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Did we create government for the purpose of restraining OURSELVES from self-destructive behavior and invest it with jurisdiction to do so ????????????? NOT in MY part of the world, we didn 't.
That is exactly what you did. There is no point having a government if they allow destructive behaviour of self OR others.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:09 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Did we create government for the purpose of restraining OURSELVES from self-destructive behavior and invest it with jurisdiction to do so ????????????? NOT in MY part of the world, we didn 't.
Ionus wrote:
That is exactly what you did.
There is no point having a government if they allow destructive behaviour of self OR others.
No, Ionus; your logic is incorrect: there IS a point in banding together in defense from alien enemies, or domestic predators.

That does NOT interfere with personal autonomy
qua matters that do not violate the rights of OTHERS.

Such jurisdiction can only be excercised by USURPATION the same as a bank teller stealing from his till.
One pilfers $$, the other steals political power, steals liberty.

David
Ionus

Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
your logic is incorrect: there IS a point in banding together in defense from alien enemies, or domestic predators That does NOT interfere with personal autonomy qua matters that do not violate the rights of OTHERS.
I am not allowed to kill others, nor am I allowed to kill myself despite perhaps having every sane reason to do so.