Ted is the six-generation heritor of the know-how of papermaking. Does this sentense make any sense?

Nancy88

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 12:07 am
Does the title make any sense? I wan to say that the know-how of paper making was passed down through generation to generation. And Ted was the sixth generation who lerned th know-how of making paper.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 678 • Replies: 4

roger

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:50 am
@Nancy88,
Yes. Personally, I would choose 'knowledge' instead of 'know-how', but it makes sense. I would also say 'from generation to generation', instead of 'through generation to generation'. If you want to use 'through', it would be a bit better to say it was 'passed through the generations'.

Somehow, I have the feeling that knowledge indicates the ability to write about paper making, while know - how implies an ability to do something. The distinction may be entirely in my own mind. Anyway, your sentence is good.
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:02 am
@Nancy88,
I'd wipe it.

Ted is a sixth generation papermaker.
roger

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 03:07 am
@oolongteasup,
That does sound good.
0 Replies

Nancy88

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 08:28 pm