bring vs take

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:21 pm
Is there any difference between 'bring' and 'take'?

I'll take/bring you to the airport in my car or else you will be not be in time to catch the plane.

Can I use either word?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 977 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Fido

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 08:52 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Is there any difference between 'bring' and 'take'?

I'll take/bring you to the airport in my car or else you will be not be in time to catch the plane.

Can I use either word?

Thanks in advance.

Yup, lots of differences... I picked up on Lewis Carol's fetch, and carry... Imagine a dog like me asking a people to fetch... Some people get entirely to irate... Its good English folks...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:09 pm
@tanguatlay,
Yes, in that context you can use either verb. They are often interchangeable, but not always.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:17 pm
What Set said.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:08 am

I don't agree.

I'll take you to the airport. I'll bring you back from the mall.

There is a subtle difference, but maybe not enough to get exercised about.
Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:18 am
@McTag,
I, for my part, haven't said that they are interchangeable in all contexts. But there is an American language usage which you either ignore, or were unaware of: I'll bring you to the airport.--and i suspect that in the British language, just as in the American language, one might say: I'll take you back from the mall.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:59 am

Well, lets see now. I can only speak BrE, of course.

"I'll bring you to the airport" means (to me) that the speaker was going there anyway.
"I'll take you to the airport", probably not.

But it's rather indistinct. I wish I'd never started this. Smile
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:59 am
Many people think of it this way: , you take "there", you bring "here".

I'll take you (from somewhere else) to the airport.

I arrived at the airport and called my father at his house 50 miles away. I talked to him for a few minutes and found out that a taxi would bring him to meet me.

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:00 am
Naw, Tang started this . . . but we're allowed to play . . . It is regionalism in the U.S., i believe. I was surprised the first time i heard someone say "I
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:01 am
Naw, Tang started this . . . but we're allowed to play . . . It is regionalism in the U.S., i believe. I was surprised the first time i heard someone say "I'll bring you there." But i did understand it right away.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:02 pm
@contrex,
There certainly is that sense, C, but it doesn't have to be the physical place where the speaker is at present.

A: Come to my place on Saturday for dinner.

B: That sounds grand. What should I bring? // What would you like me to bring?
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 12:12 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

There certainly is that sense, C, but it doesn't have to be the physical place where the speaker is at present.

I know, and that is why I enclosed the words "here" and "there" in quote marks, to convey that. Evidently my method of presenting the notion was not as intuitive as I hoped.
aidan

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 12:46 am
@contrex,
I just 'tested' myself and intuitively I say/think and use:

bring (with) (to)
take (from)

In other words, I wouldn't say, 'I'm going to take a cake to her party.'
I'd say, 'I'm going to bring a cake to her party.'

And I wouldn't say, 'Don't forget to bring that book with you when you leave.'
I'd say, 'Don't forget to take that book with you when you leave.'

But in terms of going to an actual place, I find that I use take instead of bring, almost exclusively.
In other words, I'd say, 'I'm taking her to the airport tomorrow,' unless, as McTag said, I'm going anyway and she's coming with me. Then I would say, 'I'm bringing her to the airport with me tomorrow.'

But I do think it's just a matter of personal choice - the difference is so subtle that I don't think either could be classified as right or wrong.
JTT

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:45 am
@contrex,
Sorry, C. Missed that nuance.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:53 am
@aidan,
Quote:
But I do think it's just a matter of personal choice - the difference is so subtle that I don't think either could be classified as right or wrong.

Actually, Aidan, it's more complicated than personal choice. There are, as McTag noted and Contrex alluded to, nuances that affect our decisions. Having said that, there are also dialectal differences and, it appears, changes happening to the distinctions between bring and take.

How long this has been going on, how widespread it is is all too much to bother with? That would be for a etymologist.

The problem with testing ourselves, not that it's all ways bad and always bad, is that ourselves sometimes don't see all the other potential situations, minor changes that affect our choices.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:28 pm
I think it may be useful to consider the words "bring" and "take" as parts of phrasal verbs - this is how they are commonly encountered and used - bring/take from, to, up, with, off, and so on. Each one has a particular nuance.
JTT

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:37 pm
@contrex,
There certainly are those nuances, C, but I was more referring to the problematic areas between paired verbs like go/come and of course, bring/take where speaker location or an anticipated future shared location changes the verb we use.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:11 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

There certainly are those nuances, C, but I was more referring to the problematic areas between paired verbs like go/come and of course, bring/take where speaker location or an anticipated future shared location changes the verb we use.
Thanks, JTT. Could you give a few examples?
0 Replies