The A2K November, 2010, Election Game!

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:43 pm
On November 2nd, millions of us will (or will not) go to the polls in the mid-term elections to select members of the Senate, the House and Governors.

The game here is for players to predict the overall outcomes. Participation will be quite painless, I assure you.

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
Give me a few minutes to set this up. Thank you.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
The U.S. Senate...
There are currently 41 Republicans in the Senate. There are 57 Democrats plus 2 Independents who caucus with the Democrats. So that effectively 41 Repubs vs 59 Dems.
Roughly 1/3 of the Senate seats will be on ballots this time around.
Pundits and polls suggest that the split between Repubs and Dems may end up being very close, with control of the Senate being up for grabs.

How do you think the election for Senate will turn out?

A) Repubs will end up with 52 or more vs 48 or fewer for the Dems
B) Repubs will end up with 51 vs 49 for the Dems
C) Split. 50-50
D) Dems will end up with 51 vs 49 for the Repubs
E) Dems will end up with 52 or more vs 48 or fewer for the Repubs
F) Who cares.

Would you describe yourself as
G) A Republican
H) A Democrat
I) An Independent/Other

All you have to do is post a choice from A-F and G-I. Additional comments are welcome.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
are there prizes and stuff?

a trip to England maybe. or France.
jespah

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, I'm in it for the prizes.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Prize offers are pouring in. You will get an autographed copy of the Declaration of Independence from Ican was the 1st one.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Both parties will stop asking you for contributions until April of 2011.
Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid promise to not come to your house.
Obama will show you what he claims is his original birth certificate.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
<bookmarking>
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:34 pm
my guess, the politicians will win and the electorate will lose

just like every other election
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:41 pm
@djjd62,
Can I put that down as one vote for "Who Cares"?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:58 pm
F - I
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:48 pm
I don't know if I can bear this
Obstructio ad Absurdum
(I made that up).
I suppose
I will.

(where the hell is George when I need him?)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
E. Dems will end up with 52 or more vs 48 or fewer for the Repubs

H) A Democrat
I think the centrist independents will end up saving the day for the Democratic Party as they finally have enough of this rank bull from the Tetanus Party.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:58 pm
I vote at an elementary school just a half a mile from my house. I typically vote just as the polls open at 7 am. The people running the process are alert. The partisan folks outside (not allowed within 100 feet of the entrance) are eager in their dispensing of last minute campaign literature.
And then, after I have flipped a few switches on the voting machine, I exit through a hallway of the school to the main door, past colorful bulletin boards encouraging students to strive to be the best they can be; to be nice to each other; to participate in school activities.

It used to be that the parents' association would have a table set up selling homemade baked goods to benefit the school. I would drop 5 bucks or so. As my district got more culturally diverse, I might spend $10.
Then someone decided that the sale of such foods could be unsafe for the consumer. Homemade foods got replaced with Krispy Kreme donuts. But then even they disappeared. I don't know why. Perhaps the donuts could be contaminated to selectively kill off political adversaries.

Where do you vote?
roger

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
Some kind of church on Dustin Ave. Should I try to start a 1st Amendment protest?
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:52 pm
@roger,
I mentioned this before, Roger, but I can't recall where. Did you know that people who vote in churches tend to vote slightly more conservatively on issues like abortion or gay rights then their counterparts in neighboring districts located in polling places other then churches? And people who vote in schools tend to vote slightly more in favor of things like a bond issue to fund schools then neighbors in other polling places?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 08:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
Middle school, two blocks from my house. There are never anybody schilling for candidates either within the 100 feet entrance barrier or without. I consider it crowded when 3 or 4 people are ahead of me in line. That only happened once.

Been voting at this particular location for the past 4 years. Prior to that I voted in several Upper East side poll locations which were slightly busier if nothing else. All of my time in NYC, I have never been accosted by any extra preelection electioneering albeit within or outside the legally allowed limits for such voting practices.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 08:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
D-H

I think Dems will hold, but not my much. I'm not very confident in Democrat voter turnout. Voter mobilization for the democrats has been pretty poor IMO.

A
R
T
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
As a matter of fact, I did not know that.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:44 pm
I am gonna cast 2 votes.
The first one is for me.

I think it will end up being a virtual tie in the Senate, with there being an even split of seats.
I think the repubs will take the house.
And I am an independent conservative.

As for my second vote, I will simply say look at my sig line for another persons predictions.
0 Replies