The US Constitution.

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:18 am
Hi,

A political friend of mind tells me that the US constitution is hypocritical of itself.

Is it correct that state and church are to be kept seperate?

And, if so, what is Jesse Jackson doing in office?

I haven't read your constitution, nor ever intend to. I am just curious about this subject that came up recently.

Can anyone enlighten me/us on this, please?

Thank you.
Mark...

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:25 am
@mark noble,
Why should I be interesting into answering your question if you refuse to read the U.S. Constitution?

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:26 am
The first two clauses of the first amendment to the constitution read: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; . . .

These are known, unsurprisingly, as the "no establishment" and "free exercise" clauses. Nothing in them prohibits anyone from holding public office based on religious affiliation.

I would be interesed to know what public office you allege Jesse Jackson holds. Keeping in mind, of couse, that nothing in the constitution would prohibit him from holding public office.

Quote:
I haven't read your constitution, nor ever intend to.

This doesn't surprise me. My experience is that bald ignorance has never inhibited you from loudly expressing your uninformed opinions.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:32 am
@Setanta,
Jesse Jackson, Jr. was in the news this week. He is a member of the House of Representatives. His father, Jesse Jackson, Sr. is a religious minister.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:54 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
... what is Jesse Jackson doing in office?

Many of his constituents are asking the same question.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:21 pm
@Setanta,
Do you keep up on the political fundaments of Tonga? No. Why? because you likely couldn't care less about Tonga - being neither an inhabitant of, or having any links to.

Likewise with myself and the US.

Have a great day you moron!
Mark...
Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:26 pm
@mark noble,
Given that Tonga is half a world away, no i don't keep up with their constitution. However, i do keep up with the news from Tonga by listening to ABC's Radio Australia service.

The United States is a hell of a lot closer to nasty little England than it is to Tonga. And i know a hell of a lot more about the Westminster style of government and how your unwritten constitution has been assembled over the centuries than you apparently do about the U.S. constitution.

My comment was inspired by this tripe:

A political friend of mind tells me that the US constitution is hypocritical of itself.

Is it correct that state and church are to be kept seperate?

And, if so, what is Jesse Jackson doing in office?

As you admit, you are ignorant of our constitution, yet you are willing to make two uninformed comments about the constitution.

And that's why i have the pleasure of once again expressing my contempt for you, you witless pig-******.

Wanker

Clown.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:54 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
I would be interesed[sic] to know what public office you allege Jesse Jackson holds.

Quote:
Wandeljw: Jesse Jackson, Jr. was in the news this week. He is a member of the House of Representatives.

Quote:
"Amply loaded with bald ignorance and an incredible and unbelievable willingness to display it" Setanta writes:

My experience is that bald ignorance has never inhibited you from loudly expressing your uninformed opinions.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:59 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Given that Tonga is half a world away, no i don't keep up with their constitution.

Have you heard of the Internet; do you know what a library is? And how many times have you read Tonga's constitution, Set?

Quote:
However, i do keep up with the news from Tonga by listening to ABC's Radio Australia service.

So take that, Mark Noble.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:16 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:

Your friend is right, Mark. There are aspects of the US constitution that are incredibly hypocritical.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:20 pm
@wandeljw,
There is nothing that prevents an ordained minister, rabbi or priest from being elected to Congress or the Presidency. "Separation of Church and State" isn't explicitly in the Constitution, it was coined by Jefferson in a letter to a group of Baptists that the State would not involve itself in the dealings of the Church -- a wall of separation.

Jessie Sr ran for President in '84 and '88 as a fully viable candidate.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:30 pm
@mark noble,
If, as you say,I haven't read your constitution, nor ever intend to, then why are you curious about this subject that came up recently? If I'm curious about a subject I usually try to research it by some means other than posting a dotty and somewhat insulting query on a public website.

That there may be elements of hypocricy in the US Constitution is undeniable. However, the election of an ordained clergy person to political office has no relevance of any sort whatever to the doctrine of separation of church and state. You -- or your 'political friend' -- are probably thinking more along the lines of the historical precedent in Merry Ol' Blighty where the Archbishop of Canterbury customarily was also a minion of the Crown, hence held political office. No such condition is possible in the USA. There has been at least one ordained Roman Catholic priest who served for a number of years in the US House of Representatives but he was told to gerroffit by his church, not by the secular government which couldn't have cared less if he wore a mitre into the halls of Congress. The point is that the good Father was elected by his constituency of qualified voters who have a right to elect anyone they choose, as long as their choice is a US citizen and meets age qualifications. The fact that the person elected professes a particular faith has no bearing whatever on his/her qualifications.

When you think about it, that's really the whole point of separating Church from State.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:40 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
where the Archbishop of Canterbury customarily was also a minion of the Crown, hence held political office. No such condition is possible in the USA.

De jure, yes, de facto, no.

Quote:
If I'm curious about a subject I usually try to research it by some means other than posting a dotty and somewhat insulting query on a public website.

De facto, not always, Merry.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:45 pm
@JTT,
You just couldn't resist being snide, could you, JTT? The original version of your post would have been quite sufficient. It must be frustrating as hell for you that I try hard not to rise to your bait.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:54 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Not snide at all, Merry. I see you haven't contested the facts. I was just setting the record straight. You wouldn't want Mark to think that your statement,

If I'm curious about a subject I usually try to research it by some means other than posting a dotty and somewhat insulting query on a public website

was a completely accurate representation, would you?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:12 pm
@mark noble,
i'm with you mark

**** knowledge and **** facts

uninformed opinions rule

oh yeah, **** j jackson sr too, i know nothing of j jackson jr, so he gets a pass

although JTT would say i should have stopped at, i know nothing Wink
JPB

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:18 pm
@djjd62,
<snort>
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:47 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
although JTT would say i should have stopped at, i know nothing

Who are you, Sgt Shultz?
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:14 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

I haven't read your constitution, nor ever intend to. I am just curious about this subject that came up recently.

And we haven't read YOUR constitution because you AIN'T GOT ONE.

You heard of Bagehot? The British Constitution? He says it's unwritten and nobody contradicts him. Get a grip.
mark noble

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:09 am
@electronicmail,
Why would we need one? We sent all our crud to Australia and all the subversives and monkeys accross the atlantic a while back. You must know them - They begat you.

LOL!

Mark...
0 Replies