How to pronounce Obama?

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 10:42 pm

Or pronounce a variety of English names? Is there a way to mark them with international phonetic symbols?

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:50 am
@oristarA,
Do you have other difficulties with the English language as well?
contrex

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:37 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Do you have other difficulties with the English language as well?

rolls eyes

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:31 am
@oristarA,
The pronunciation of names uses the same sound system of English as that used for words in general, Ori. The only really good way to learn those sounds is to listen to tapes, TV, etc of native English speakers.
oristarA

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:45 am
@JTT,
Thank you JTT.

Obama: [o ba: mer]?
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:50 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

Some people in some parts of New England, the NE corner of the USA pronounce many words [all words???] ending in 'a' as 'er. I believe that this alos occurs in some parts of England and Australia.

I'd say for most of the English speaking world it's [o ba ma].
chai2

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:15 pm
@oristarA,
No "r" sound in there.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:24 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
No "r" sound in there.

See what I mean, Ori.
chai2

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:36 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
No "r" sound in there.

See what I mean, Ori.

not sure why anyone, native English speaker or not, would think there's an "r" in o...b....a....m....a
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:35 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
not sure why anyone, native English speaker or not, would think there's an "r" in o...b....a....m....a

Didn't you tell me recently that you had me on ignore, Chai.

You have to make yourself clear when you're dealing in language and how it works. Do you refer to the spelling or the pronunciation?
chai2

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:47 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Didn't you tell me recently that you had me on ignore, Chai.

You have to make yourself clear when you're dealing in language and how it works. Do you refer to the spelling or the pronunciation?

What?

And yes, I do have you on ignore, but when there's a subject like this, I'm interested, and what to see what other people have answered. It's an easy enough thing to click on "view" When I do that, I don't know if the person is going to be you, or someone else I ignore. You roll the dice, you take your chances.

I can still appreciate what one has to say about something straightforward as an english question, and still think they they are a douchebag when it comes to their opinions on the world in general.

Anyway, can you be straightforward in what you meant by the above?

Obama isn't pronounced with an r sound, because there is no r in it. I've never heard anyone pronounce it with an r on the end, so I don't know why orister would think that sound is there.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:11 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Anyway, can you be straightforward in what you meant by the above?

Can you answer a question that's been asked of you?

Quote:
Obama isn't pronounced with an r sound, because there is no r in it. I've never heard anyone pronounce it with an r on the end, so I don't know why orister would think that sound is there.

What you've heard or what you've experienced or what you've "studied" does not, in any way shape or form, describe the parameters of the English language.

There no 'w' in too or to but they are still pronounced 'two'.

I explained how this works in my first post to Ori.

One doesn't have to possess every bit of knowledge about every field but, when the material is right there and you can't keep up to speed, then you probably shouldn't get involved in threads that are over your head.

Quote:
and still think they they are a douchebag when it comes to their opinions on the world in general.

You never really struck me as the chickenshit type, Chai. But let's be honest, shall we? You don't like to hear about the evil things/the war crimes that the USA has been involved in. That's it, isn't it?

0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:42 pm
@oristarA,
Obama is a name from Kenya, find an African to ask.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:34 pm
@electronicmail,
Quote:
Obama is a name from Kenya, find an African to ask.

That isn't what Oristar wants to know, EM. And it doesn't matter what the name [or word] is or what language it has come from. When a word or name, which is just a word, comes into English, it follows the rules of the English sound system.

People soon tire of trying to get Americans or Canadians or Australians or Kiwis to pronounce their names as it's done in their mother tongue. There's a very good reason that doesn't happen. We don't know the sound systems of all the languages of the world.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Some people in some parts of New England, the NE corner of the USA pronounce many words [all words???] ending in 'a' as 'er. I believe that this alos occurs in some parts of England and Australia.

I'd say for most of the English speaking world it's [o ba ma].

a-yup. They stick r sounds in the middle of some words where the letter doesn't exist too. My maiden name (Palmer) was pronounced "Parmer" in the Connecticut River valley area of Vt.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:44 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
a-yup. They stick r sounds in the middle of some words where the letter doesn't exist too. My maiden name (Palmer) was pronounced "Parmer" in the Connecticut River valley area of Vt.

I can't accept this as fact, JPB, until Chai has confirmed for me that she has heard this. Smile
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:10 pm
There is a general misunderstanding about how and why New Englanders (I used to be one) insert Rs at the ends of words where such Rs do not belong. This is by no means capricious in any sense. They simply need to use up the Rs that they've dropped from some words where the letters do belong, e.g. plummah (plumber), numbah (number) and a whole passel (parcel) of others.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:16 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Lots of dialects put an "r" after a soft "a."

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I can't accept this as fact, JPB, until Chai has confirmed for me that she has heard this. Smile

Laughing

I just inhaled some apricot jam. Can't decide whether to blame you or Chai.

Laughing
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:29 pm
I wonder why the right hasn't picked up on the Boston,

Obamer ---->> Ohbummer
0 Replies