chai2

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:17 pm
Bought a pair today, just used them

I like them!

Takes a bit to get used to, but you're glad of them when walking uphill.

I'll describe later, for anyone interested.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 11:25 pm
I'm in Bergen, Norway, now, and will be going on our ship later today. I didnæt get my walking stick, because I was thinking it would be difficult to take pictures carrying a pole and two cameras.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 08:17 pm
Just got back in from a 2.5 mile walk around the neighborhood.

No sore calves (that's a problem area with me) and I got a good aerobic workout. I didn't have to slow down because of fatigued leg muscles. It's nice having some of the load moved to your upper body, which isn't doing much of anything, besides swinging arms.

One thing that took getting used to is that you don't put the poles in front of you, like you would a cane. Each pole moves with the opposite leg (because it's swinging forward with your arm and when you plant the pole the tip lands right about in between your stride. It's lands right below your pelvis, or where your spine would extend to, it seems.

The length of the pole is supposed to be where when you grip the handles, your arm is at a ninety degree angle. You know what? That wasn't comfortable for me, and I made them a little lower. When they were longer I felt like I was scrunching up my shoulders. It's very important for me to keep my shoulders, and mid back lowered.

roger

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 12:24 pm
So, how do you get perfect length poles in a one piece pole. Is there some other way of adjusting the length, or do you just cut them to fit, as you would a wooden cane? I'm thinking a moveable handle might fit the bill, but have never seen this.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:24 pm
@chai2,
I finally sprung for a pair. The cheapies from WalMart, but definately good enough to see their value. I've got some kind of lower back or hip problem that causes pain within the length of a city block. About 1 1/2 miles were pain free, though I was breathing deeply. Not too surprising since they claim up to a 40% increase in calories burned. Anyhow, deep breathing is good; pain isn't.
chai2

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:21 pm
@roger,
Wow, that's really great roger.

Isn't it cool when something makes such a big difference?
0 Replies