Can someone help me translate something from French to English?

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 09:02 am
I went to the Québec geneological site, and there were no entries under "Dolber," but there were several (not really that many, though, at a site with tens of thousands of entries) for "Dolbec." None, however, for Françoise Dolbec.
Swimpy

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:18 am
@Setanta,
This is great, certainly more than I could have done on my own. I have a two week Ancestry.com membership and searched on Dolber. I don't have it here in front of me, but I think there was one Francoise Dolber. there were several Francoise Dalbera and some Marie Francoises as well. Martel is a pretty common name in Quebec. I don't know when Prosper moved to Wisconsin. He may have come as an adult. There is a town in Wisconsin called Martell. It was named after a French Canadian fur trapper named Joseph Martell. Maybe that was Prosper's papa.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:06 am
totally not useful Laughing but the godparents are Sophie Gingras (Marain) and Joseph Gingras (Parain)

they were a brother and sister whose parents were married in St. Antoine, P. Q., in 1802

http://vallieresgenealogy.ifrance.com/dat152.htm

Swimpy

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:18 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, Beth. I used to think that godparents were always family members, but I've learned that's not always the case and don't spend too much time on them.

Thanks to Setanta, too for straining his eyes over this document. I hope your eyes are doing well.
Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:37 pm
@Swimpy,
Swimpy wrote:
Thanks to Setanta, too for straining his eyes over this document. I hope your eyes are doing well.

You're very kind. I gave up last night in order to rest my eyes. I didn't mind at all, Swimp, i enjoyed it.
Izzie

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:44 pm
@Setanta,
Excellent job, HIM Very Happy

was very interesting watching this unravel.

x
Swimpy

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 05:26 pm
@Izzie,
That's what I love about this place.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 07:44 pm
@Setanta,
I've enlarged the image and still can't make out Papa Martel's name. It almost looks like somebody wrote over it maybe to correct a misspelling. Any idea of the is a program that might clean it up a bit?
Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 04:20 am
@Swimpy,
I'm sure there is, but i'm not any kind of tech-savvy guy who could answer that for you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 04:27 am
By the way, i do not find any Basilique Notre Dame in Québec city, but there is one in Montréal. Have you attempted to find out if, perhaps, Prosper Martel was born and baptised in Montréal?

Just a thought.
Swimpy

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:17 am
@Setanta,
There is, actually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Qu%C3%A9bec_Cathedral

That will be my next step. I've had luck contacting churches in Ireland for info. Don't see why the Canadians would be as accommodating.
Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:27 am
@Swimpy,
Well, not to rain on your parade, but when i looked up the Notre Dame basilica in Montréal, they wanted $45.00 to do a geneological search. It's your money, of course, but i suspect that you'll have to pay to get information from Québec city, too.
Swimpy

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:34 am
@Setanta,
That may be. I'm willing to pay if the information is there.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:43 am
@Swimpy,
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Fishin?

He's done a lot of this work - and a great deal of his family came from Quebec so he knows the ins and outs of researching there quite well.
Swimpy

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 01:49 pm
@ehBeth,
I sure don't. Maybe littlek does.
Swimpy

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:12 am
@Swimpy,
Again, thanks for your help. This info has opened the flood gates on the Martel family. I've found not only Prosper's parents, but I think I've found his mother's parents as well.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:37 am
I have another one if you're interested. I'll post it tonight. It's the marriage record for Joseph Martel and Francoise Dolbec. Apparently she was his third wife. I found a descendant of the first wife who had posted her family tree online. Joseph's father was Charles Martel, who was born in "New France" in 1720. We're going back a ways now!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:06 am
@ehBeth,
Try sending a PM. He'll get the email notice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:23 am
Charles Martel . . . Charles the Hammer. A famous figure in the history of the Franks. Look him up sometime, just as an interesting side note.

http://www.culture-routes.lu/uploaded_files/infos/ar/00000122/0000000443/0000000443_1.jpg
Swimpy

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:28 am
@Setanta,
Don't know if I'm descended from him, but that would be cool if I was. Just call me SM Hammer.
0 Replies