The United States - What is Your Favorite State To Visit

Lash Goth

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:14 am
I didn't need much of a push, but thank you so much for responding. You can get an idea from pictures, but it's nice to hear from someone who's been there.

Thanks alot.
Smile
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:24 am
asherman, good story.

i like central to northern california from monterey to sacramento, and many places in arizona.

but my favorite place in the whole u.s. is maui, hawaii.......
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:31 am
Lash Goth
Anytime. Have a great time. I hope you like peace and quiet because you'll have plenty of it :-D
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:32 am
Pueo
I'd love to go to Hawaii!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:36 am
gezzy you should, if you do go though make sure you have a travel plan. there are five islands that are worth a look. the island of hawaii (the big island) oahu (waikiki etc.) molokai, kauai, and of course maui. on second thought just go to maui........
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:37 am
Quiet is my favorite thing, maybe untravelled or sparsely populated is a more accurate description. That was the allure of the Outer Banks. Of course, the sound of the surf and raucous wind are important, too.

The pictures I saw of Bar Harbor reminded me of the craggy coast of Ireland. Never been, but it's sort of my life's dream to be there. Would you say the coastline is similar? Any quaint coffee shops or cool nooks you remember that I might visit?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:47 am
i want to go to scotland and ireland one day. some of my ancestors came on over to hawaii from those parts.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 12:59 am
pueo-
I'm a little Scot-Irish sicky. I rent the videos and watch specials on TV. The land is so beautiful.

We'll get there!

What is the name of your Scot-Irish anscestors?

Mine were Collins.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:01 am
Pueo
Thanks so much. I'm going to write that down ;-D

Lash Goth
Yes, the coastline is very similar from what I've seen in photo's and tv of Ireland. I can't help you as far as coffee shops or nooks because when we went we just stayed put and enjoyed the views, peace and quiet, and the sounds of the ocean, but I guarentee that they are everywhere there. Maine is known for its quaint little coffee shops. I really wish I could remember the name of the place we went. It was right on the coast where you could watch the lobster boats going out in the morning and coming in before dark. It was a gate house that was completely renovated and had 2 bathrooms, 1 bath off the living room, 1 bath off the bedroom, 2 propane fireplaces, 1 in living room, 1 in bedroom, sauna right in the bedroom, 2 decks, 1 off the livingroom, 1 off the bedroom which is upstairs. The stars at night are so bright and beautiful.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:05 am
Ireland is another place I'd love to visit. The land is so beautiful that it almost looks like it couldn't be real.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:16 am
lash, theres a lindsey and a fay, (scottish)

fay married the high chiefess kai'puka'ilai'i'kapuka'o'kamehmeha kanahana

and then the tree continued to little ole' me.

can't find the irish connection (name) yet. will keep trying.

i think fay got himself into trouble and eventually got banished to australia.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 10:30 am
Pueo -- I was married on Maui -- halfway up Haleakala near the Carnation flower farms by Kula. I loved the Io Valley and Hosmer's Grove but I've never seen Hana. Next time. Next time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:04 am
My father was born in Maui, near Paia. We have visited often, but our last visit was some years ago. We're due to return soon. c.i.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 02:35 am
Piffka wrote:
Pueo -- I was married on Maui -- halfway up Haleakala near the Carnation flower farms by Kula. I loved the Io Valley and Hosmer's Grove but I've never seen Hana. Next time. Next time.

piffka, don't know how i missed this. kula is really nice and cool, great view from "upcountry" as you drive down into maui. iao valley is one of my favorite places on maui, gives me the creeps at night though, guess it's because of all the people who died there.

hana is beautiful, i have family there but i won't drive to hana, it's way too long and slow getting there.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 02:36 am
c.i. paia looks like a 60's throwback town. i guess it has alot to do with all the surfers who hang out there.
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:33 am
Matrix:

Having lived in both Montana and Washington for sometime, I have a pretty good mental comparison going between the Cascades, Rainier and the Rockies as far as their scenic and mountainous nature is concerned. And while I would never assume to be capable of changing your mind on the issue, I'd like you to take a peek at some of the Rockies you didn't see in your trip through Colorado... Smile

http://www.glacierparkphotos.com/images/lakes/avalanche_lake.jpg
http://www.math.montana.edu/activities/ken/bowers8.gif
http://www.math.montana.edu/activities/ken/bowers13.gif
http://www.nps.gov/glac/images/08904sm.jpg
http://www.agape1.net/hiking/glacier2001/lakes.jpg

Can one proove a point in a matter of opinion? Of course not! But I do love to show-off my (former) backyard. Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:43 am
Orglif good Thrusday morning these are beautiful.
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:45 am
Aye, good morning to you. Smile

These aren't my pictures, though I've stood at (or around) the vantage point from which each was taken at one point or another... *sighs*
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:56 am
Nice pics Orglif, even if you didn't take them.

I spend most of my long weekends in Wells, Maine. I love Ogunquit and Portland and have made many trips to Bar Harbor.

I would like to go back to Northern CA as well. Drive through Napa and up into Oregon and Washington. Never got further than SF.

All said, the state that I loved the most was Wyoming. Yellowstone just took my breath away. I just want to see it again. I couldn't live there, though - too far from the ocean. Wink
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:03 am
Heh. I think I'm quite the opposite... I love Oregon, and being this close to the ocean... it just blows me away to stand at the edge of the Pacific and know that the world actually goes away from that point... but the mountains are in my blood, and I know I'll always have to go back someday... Smile
0 Replies