The United States - What is Your Favorite State To Visit

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:15 pm
And why. My newest favorite, I have many is Florida, I have only there twice, once in Key West and then in Hollywood. I definitely have much more exploring to do in Florida.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,902 • Replies: 75
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:18 pm
Whoops entered by mistake before finishing the poll. Here is what I left out, Northern Mid-West, Deep South, South West, the Plains States (Big Sky Countyr), the Northern Pacific State, the Desert states, or California a state like no other.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:43 pm
I think I've hit most of them at one time or another and each state has it's advantages/disadvantages. I've never really "hated' any of them and I'd go to any for a short stay but I like Maine. Northern Maine more specifically.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 12:00 am
I haven't been around to many states in the US even though I was born and raised there. I've been to NH, Maine, and through all the states you go through to get to Illinois. I rememer connecticut being one of them and pennsylvania I think. I also took a quick drive to NY with my friend Robin years ago. We went to see the Statue of Liberty and ended up lost in the Bronx at 2am. No thrill there except for fear, lol. I am surely a country girl, so I'd have to say that my favorite is Maine. I also love the ocean which is why I love the new house we bought in Canada 2 years ago. We have the ocean in front of the house and the wilderness out back and on the sides :-)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 12:11 am
Was lost in the Bronx early one Sunday morning myself, very scary just like out of the movie Fort Apache The Bronx. I love the New England states especially Connecticut and Maine. I visited Boston for a week once and love it.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 12:38 am
Isn't that the truth Joanne, lol. I was scared to death. Every building looked the same and we had a hard time finding our way out of there. Cars were double parked on blocks and stripped naked. We never did see the Statue Of Liberty. We were so glad when we found our way out of the Bronx that we came right home, lol.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 07:15 pm
I havent seen enough of them to make a well informed decision. Ive been to every state East of the Mississippi and done the southern route from Phoenix eastward as well. However, from what I have seen i enjoy New England the most for the change in weather, and variety of trees. If I spend too much time in an area without either trees or at least big hills, I dont know, its just wierd and I want to go home. I also feel wierd when theres not water near by so, the desert although it is wonderful and filled with such beauty, I get thirsty quick.
I have very much enjoyed spending time in Arizona/Utah for the great diversity and natural wonders but, I think there are a great many other places that have equal or similar interesting areas and my guess is that many of them also have trees, water...you know, more comforting things for me.
This country is so large and diverse that I would love to see it all, and Im sure it is all grand in its own way.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 07:54 pm
Did you get to Monument Valley or four corners while you were in AZ and Ut quinn1?

I was not east of Denver until after I was 26 and that trip was to Marquette, MI, I got really scared driving through the woods in the upper peninsula, the trees just overwhelmed me. I felt like we were in a tunnel.

After I moved to D.C. in 1976 my mom who was born in Kansas, moved to Denver then on to San Diego, was excited about seeing the East and we took her to many places over the years but without fail after she was in Virginia for about month she would start whining about not being able to see the horizon and not seeing any dirt. She did not consider the tree line to be the real horizon she wanted to see for miles and miles and miles.

Personally I love both but I do feel more at home in the west and have to admit to love the wide open spaces. I love Utah in particular it is such a beautiful state.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 07:56 pm
Like fishin I have around and about the state quite a bit. The only states I have not visited are Oregon, Washington, the Dakotas, and Idaho.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 07:59 pm
Gezzy you werent really looking for the Statue of Liberty in the Bronx were you? I mean they are at opposite ends of Manhatten. I have beautiful pictures from one of the times I went to visit Miss Liberty, taken on the ferry with the Twin Towers in the back ground. They make me cry now of course. I have not been to NYC since 9/11 and cannot imagine what it will be like when I venture there again with out them.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 08:06 pm
Ive seen 90% of Arizona...and its all different and very nice actually. Yes, Monument Valley, Lake Powell...the most beautiful spots Ive seen yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:58 pm
Southwest - I love the southwest and I miss it....<sniff>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:03 pm
My god, you don't even have my region listed! How insular can you get, for Pete's sake.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:05 pm
read JD's first few posts.....
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:06 pm
My home state of Washington!!! We have everything here from Rainforests to deserts, one of the most beautiful mountains in the world (Mt. Rainier) and the ocean. I don't know of many other places that can offer that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 12:04 am
I can relate more to cities than states.
Would love to experience NYC, San Francisco, New Orleans & Seattle ... to name just a few. Anyone got any plane tickets to spare? Send them my way!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:52 am
Couldn't make up my mind between Deep South, or South East, like 'em both alot. Some of the regions in, for instance GA, is very similar to where live now, close to Black Forest in Germany('xcept for the red earth!)

But I also felt very much at home the in New England Coastal Region, because that reminden me alot of the Swedish west coast, my old 'hood. Made me/us feel very good, our vacation there in september 2001. My nearest coast at the moment is a whooping 1300 miles away! In Gothenburg, I used to take the tram for ten minutes, and I'd be in the harbor!

And I'll never forget the good times I had in Florida, the sun, the ocean, the moon, big as a pizza-pie, that's amore! Really, we're already kind of planning to go to Fla. this spring, probably Tampa/St.Pete- area. You know a good BnB down there, nice price, we travel on a budget... = pay little for sleeping, then double that on eating out! ok, some cocktails too....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:37 am
JD, you can fix the poll. Just edit your first post and add the poll choices you want, then click Submit.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:46 am
My favourite state has to be California.

This is closely followed by Colorado.

Coming from an Irish man, that should pretty much settle the issue ;-)
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:50 am
Of the cities that I've visited so far, I'd pick New Orleans and Bahstn... Because of two things each; old, european-like cities with lots of water in their frontyard!
0 Replies