The A2K responding graciously to compliments & flattery thread.

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:23 pm
I read Diane's thread about giving & receiving compliments & flattery:

http://able2know.org/topic/161364-1

.. & noted that quite a few posters remarked that it was sometimes hard to know how to respond to others saying something nice about them in public.

So (as a much over-due!) public service I've created this thread so's we can get the hang of responding with grace & warmth!

This is how it works:

You post something complimentary about another A2Ker & they respond very nicely! Then they get to post the next compliment to another A2Ker. ...

Who then responds with much warmth & appreciation, then ...

You get the gist.

Oh & your flattering comments must be based on something you actually KNOW about them... so this may require a little research! And of course, humour & funny flattering comments are most welcome!

(Gotta go out now, back later ...)

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:24 pm
OK, I'll start:

My goodness, dys, that's an absolutely stunning stetson you're wearing today! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:26 pm
@msolga,
(It just occurred to me that dys may well be fast asleep! This could be a very slow-moving thread! Wink )
msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:35 pm
@msolga,
Perhaps it would be best to flatter someone you know is online? Otherwise this could take years!

... or perhaps an even better idea would be for me to scrap this thread altogether? Wink
msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:37 pm
@msolga,
.. or we could chat in between responses?
roger

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 11:48 pm
@msolga,
Excellent compliment on the Stetson, and not to worry. He wears that, boots, and spurs to bed.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:09 am
@roger,
Thank you, Roger! (she responded graciously. Wink )
And you've saved me from the dreaded A2K "flood control" feature, so's I can post again! Smile

Idea Perhaps the answer is for each poster to send out a few different compliments to different people at the one time? (having checked who's online & who isn't?) I wish I had the time to do this with panache, but I'm about to head out the door. But in the meantime:

Roger, Nermal is in absolutely peak condition! You should enter him in a cat show! You are the best cat owner, the best! May I congratulate you on your dedication toward this fortunate critter!

&

Dear Dutchy, you are a marvel, a veritable walking dictionary & thesaurus combined! (Say nothing of an encyclopedia & Google!) I am awed by your skills!

(How's that? Gotta go out now, sorry, so don't anyone direct any compliments toward me now (though later would be very nice! Cool ), or you'll be waiting, waiting waiting ...

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:14 am
@msolga,
Remember you accept the compliment graciously, then compliment another 2-3 folk, OK?
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 02:22 am
@msolga,
<peeping in>

Nothing.

Oh well ...

Neutral
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 03:26 am
@msolga,
My dearest msolga you have been the most warming, intelligent and tolerant member I have had the pleasure of meeting on a2k. Your posts are always informative and never belligerent no matter what is thrown at you.

Another member I greatly admire is Izzie who started the "Yabber-Liner" thread. Her posts are some of the cleverest and witty ones you can find on a2k, sometimes illustrated with the most wonderful pictures.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 04:06 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
My dearest msolga you have been the most warming, intelligent and tolerant member I have had the pleasure of meeting on a2k. Your posts are always informative and never belligerent no matter what is thrown at you.

You mean this, Dutchy? You really do? !
Aw, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on this forum. Thank you.
(tho I have been known to get cranky! Wink )

OK, this gives me the opportunity to post some fresh compliments! Yes! Very Happy

Let me think for a bit ...

Iz, I hope, will respond to your kind words, Dutchy.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 04:16 am
@msolga,
RexRed, until tonight I'd never come across your old thread which included your musical recording. I am so impressed, Rex. You really have a lovely voice!
http://able2know.org/topic/161454-1

You've been hiding your achievements under a bushel.

OK, I have a couple more up my sleeve. Give me time. I'm thinking, thinking ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 04:25 am
OK, my second compliment, courtesy of Dutchy:

BillRM, your posts about your cats have been some of the kindest, gentlest, most loving & considerate I've read on these pages. You obviously love them & they probably adore you right back!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 04:31 am
OK, to repeat:

The object of this exercise is for all of us to get the hang of graciously accepting a genuine compliment which has been sent our way, in all sincerity.

You then, will keep the ball rolling by ever-so-nicely responding to the compliment you've received & sending 2 or 3 of your own (real, perhaps humorous compliments) out to others. OK? Smile

Oh & it'd make things clearer to others reading this thread if you quoted the compliment which was directed toward you when you respond. There could (I hope!) be many compliments flying! It'll help us to keep track. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 04:54 am
OK, I have one more compliment up my sleeve, courtesy of Dutchy.

Setanta, you know much, much more about recent & ancient (& every variety of) history than any person that I've ever come across on this planet! The facts, figures & infinite variety of influences are at your finger tips! You amaze & constantly enlighten me with the scope of your knowledge.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 05:38 am
I've been thinking ....
Perhaps you shouldn't wait for someone to post their complimentary comments about you, before you post yours?
Because this could take ever such a long time, otherwise!
But it is important that the receivers of the compliments respond .. graciously! Smile And post off a few of their own.
Me, I've had to restrain myself. I couldn't have posted at least 20 more!

And, of course, a compliment doesn't have to be deadly earnest. Some injections of humour would be most appreciated!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:19 am
OK, I did my best. But to no avail. I give up. Neutral

Pretty soon I'm going to start using this thread for posting extra-cute kitty cat pics! Very Happy
Then you'll all be really, really sorry!
djjd62

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:21 am
that djjd62 is a really great guy, i love reading his posts
djjd62

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:22 am
@djjd62,
Confused
maybe i don't have the hang of this
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:22 am
@djjd62,
You, too? Surprised