Meandering threads

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:19 am
It never ceases to amuse me that people get annoyed when a thread they started isn't following "the plan" they had for it. Why do people get so wrapped up in a thread they started?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 3,708 • Replies: 66

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:21 am
@GoshisDead,
ha!

I think for some people this is the only place they can even dream of running things.

Best of Royal Canajun luck to 'em.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:22 am
@GoshisDead,
i guess i get it, but i at the same time i don't really get it either

i just enjoy the discourse, no matter if it stays or strays
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:27 am
i believe mr. marvin said it best

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:59 am
Because their ego is likely tied up in their post. Or they're control freaks. Or they have a one track mind. Or they don't like interruptions. Or they think it's disrespectful.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:08 am
@Mame,
well bimbo, it's not so much that I disagree with you but every now and then then someone asks what for them is a question of seeming importance and instead of getting what might be helpful answers get a pocketful of hair (so to speak)
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:10 am
@dyslexia,
You saying I'm full of hot air, dick?
dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:32 am
@Mame,
yes, and quite often.
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:45 am
@dyslexia,
Takes one to know one, bubba.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 12:05 pm
@dyslexia,
Well you know. Ask a serious question and get one or two serious answers. After that, we're off to the races
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:04 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

It never ceases to amuse me that people get annoyed when a thread they started isn't following "the plan" they had for it. Why do people get so wrapped up in a thread they started?

I thunk it up and went to the trouble of posting it. I feel a certain ownership and a sense of responsibility. Kinda like a host.

Since I thunk it up and went to the trouble of posting it, I probably am interested in hearing what people have to say about the topic.

Some threads take unexpected directions. Fine. Some threads get comments from smart asses and joiks. Also fine. Some threads I just let go.

But there are some threads I care about. Why? Because I do. Maybe they bring some brightness to my day. I will step in and make sure they stay on topic as best I can.

Sorry to be offering a serious response. You asked. I answered.
spendius

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:29 pm
I think of A2K as a pub that only has conversation. So I prefer threads that wander anywhichway just as pub conversations do. Or even bus-stop conversations. Come to think of it all conversations are like that except those where some jumped up meatball thinks they are conducting a choir. It just goes faster anywhichway in pubs.

And it's how people get to know each other. There's a vast array of cues in such conversations and women are faster at picking up on them than men.

And there's not a lot of point in having conversations with people you don't want to get to know.

And just like in pubs small groups form of people who are getting to know each other better and better and they overlap in other conversations as occasion arises and sometimes even swap places. Some leave. Some get the sulkies. Some pass away. Some walk across the marble floor and a voice from the gambling room calls her "to come on in." (I cannot pretend to such excellence--I stole it from Dylan's wonderful song Black Diamond Bay.)

"She smiles, and she walks the other way,
As the last ship sails and the moon fades away
From Black Diamond Bayeeay.

I think that's right. This is hardly a thread for staying on topic.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 04:31 pm
To me, it depends on the individual thread. Some ought to stay close to the initiator's intent. Others should be fair game. You know it when you see it, or assume you do. Smile
Reyn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 04:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree with Edgar. Wink

I frequently do... Cool
Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 04:53 pm
@Reyn,
Me too.
spendius

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 04:59 pm
@Roberta,
I don't.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:02 pm
@Reyn,
Me too.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:49 pm
Tasmanian devil tumours are a real problem. It could see the end of another species in Australia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_facial_tumour_disease
http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPages/LBUN-5QF86G
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:53 pm
@spendius,
wowser! I 100% agree with Mr. Spendius.

Definitely a diary entry Cool
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:54 pm
I'm no fan of elongated serious thread destruction. Distraction I get. Well, I should.