Meandering threads

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:35 pm
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
It never ceases to amuse me that people get annoyed when a thread they started isn't following "the plan" they had for it. Why do people get so wrapped up in a thread they started?

I don't think that it's only people getting peeved about digressions on their own threads. It can also get pretty frustrating trying to follow a discussion someone else has instigated (which you happen to be very interested in) only to have it to degenerate into complete irrelevancy.

Speaking personally, if I've gone to a quite bit of trouble with a thread I've started & it requires considerably more effort on my part than just off-the-cuff posting, I'm definitely appreciative if participants respect my intentions for that discussion.

I really enjoy the "community" chatty, anything goes threads (in fact I've started quite a few myself & have also participated in many others) but I also like the odd meaty thread that involves a bit of work, a bit of extra research .... and I find it pretty disappointing when those threads lose their purpose & go off the rails.

Me, I think there are are any number of anything goes threads here, but fewer & fewer subject specific, in-depth ones (outside of US politics) I've managed to become really engrossed in. And I really miss them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:39 pm
Well, mainly we have some repetitive numnuts.

This is a problem.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:03 pm
@ossobuco,
what of the ineluctably illiterate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyrQqmc5UT8
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:05 pm
@laughoutlood,
they tend to go away, though, me, I'm not uninterested.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:10 pm
@ossobuco,
True, osso, but I see this as only part of the problem.
It's an attitude here amongst some that it's almost a "freedom of speech" issue to be free to say anything you like, anything that comes into your head, on any thread going. No matter what the thread's actual purpose might be.
Whereas, sometimes it seems to me to be more a respect issue, toward those posters who are trying to have a half-decent discussion.
I'm not referring to small digressions which can happen on any thread, or a bit of djjd humour thrown in, I am talking about "meanderings" which can derail a thread.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes. More..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:27 pm
@msolga,
Derailment?

Sorry, I misspoke, I agree with you, Olga, but I've no remedy unless we could get everyone to NOT RESPOND.

This seems impossible, it's like tuna to bait.

Cicerone, a friend of mine, will never shut up and never fail to taunt. Firefly, whom I mostly agree with, will never shut up. Really, it's endless, the feeding.

The repetitiveness is mindnumbing.

The original berserk posters, they've done their job.
msolga

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:00 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Cicerone, a friend of mine, will never shut up and never fail to taunt. Firefly, whom I mostly agree with, will never shut up. Really, it's endless, the feeding.

But, I'm assuming, they're actually on topic?
If that's the case, & they're actually participating in the intended discussion, then no problem.
msolga

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:06 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
The original berserk posters, they've done their job.

I know what you're saying, osso.
Sometimes you just have to say: I've said all I want to say to you. I totally disagree with your arguments & believe I've refuted them. I simply don't want to encourage your rantings any further. I'm leaving now.

I've done that. Or something along similar lines. The alternative is a sure road to online madness! Razz

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:08 am
@msolga,
Well, yes and no. Cicerone, no, he combats endlessly. Firefly has added near infinite information that these guys don't listen to.

They precipitate an excruciating buzz. Reading this thread is like signing up for some bizarre scene.
msolga

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:13 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Firefly has added near infinite information that these guys don't listen to.

But you see, others do.
Her responses are not only for the benefit of someone who's playing silly games on the thread.
I know I do.
And skim regularly over the nonsense posts.
msolga

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:17 am
@msolga,
And as maddening as this is for you, at least her contributions are still well & truly on topic & not (for example) quoting utterly irrelevant Bob Dylan lyrics, or god knows what other obscure derailing nonsense! Wink
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:35 am
Of course I see that.
msolga

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:48 am
@ossobuco,
Yes, I know you do, osso. Smile

The thing is, anyone on this board can respond to any thread topic on the board. For the good or ill of the hoped-for discussion. That's the way it goes.
With a bit of luck, you might just get to have a really good discussion, on the actual subject you wanted to discuss! Smile
Those are the A2K moments I really enjoy & value. Those are the ones which keep me coming back here.
It's the off topic, derailing nonsense which gets up my nose.
.. like when a poster consistently inserts their topic of passion into a thread which has naught to do with their pet topic/obsession. And then proceeds to go on & on & on ... that's what I'd call online insensitivity. Or rudeness, if you want to call it by another name.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 06:50 am
@msolga,
Quote:
And as maddening as this is for you, at least her contributions are still well & truly on topic & not (for example) quoting utterly irrelevant Bob Dylan lyrics, or god knows what other obscure derailing nonsense!

But you're making an assumption Olga that what you think is on or off topic actually is on or off topic. Some contributions may be too subtle for your taste. Declaring them off topic is somewhat self-serving don't you think.

Many obviously on topic contributions are also very elementary and border on being insulting when addressed to grown ups.

Lateral thinking has advantages over tunnel vision. In the song I quoted the lady whose "passport shows a face, from another time and place--she looks nothin' like that" then "smiles and walks the other way. (i.e. puts the gambler on Ignore) and "the last ship sails and the moon fades away".

So you see, I hope, that there is a link. Ignore is connected to desertion and the fading of femininity (moon).

It's certainly odd in my experience for a lady to be objecting to conversations which go everywhichway.

I even hinted that such conversations have an evolutionary advantage for women. They provide clues to help them get on in life which strict focus on a topic doesn't.
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 06:51 am
@msolga,
Sorry. Finger trouble.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 07:17 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

wowser! I 100% agree with Mr. Spendius.

Definitely a diary entry Cool

spendius wrote:
And there's not a lot of point in having conversations with people you don't want to get to know.

I agree with this bit of his post. I frequently practice it where he is concerned.
Gargamel

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:48 am
I was thinking I could bolster my income during the summertime via an enterprise I would call "The Taco Bike." What I would do is invest in a container whose various compartments I could keep hot or cold as I please, depending on the taco ingredients stored in them, and fasten it to the back of my bicycle. Then I would ride around as people are leaving the bars and shout something like, "Tacos! Get your tacos! Taco bike here!"
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:08 am
@Gargamel,
You do know what "taco" means in England don't you? And "bike".

Rockhead

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:11 am
@spendius,
how does taco bell handle that, Spendi?