Does this word need "s"? (Just need confimation)

Razer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:19 am
Sentence: An advertisement in Today's NYT says they have the largest viewership.

My question: Does the word say need "s" at end end? I feel yes because of third person singular but don't know why I'm not feeling sure about it. Can you confirm what is the right usage?

Thanks and regards Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 757 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:36 am
@Razer,
Which word are you referring to? You neither highlighted, underlined, or bolded the word in desired word in the sentence or taken the word out of context so we could understand your question. It's not polite to make people read your mind when you write vaguely worded questions. Razz

Are you referring to the verb, says? If so it is correctly conjugated with its associated noun ... advertisement which is in its singular form.

If the noun was plural then the verb would go without the s and be written as say.

... advertisements in Today's NYT say ...
Razer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:27 am
@tsarstepan,
I was referring to the word "say". Please have a look at my question carefully. Smile

I didn't highlight, underline, or bold the word deliberately. I actually don't how to do that. I had tried to figure out how to do that but didn't get the way to do it. I would definitely to do that if told how to do that. Smile

You say "It's not polite to make people read your mind when you write vaguely worded questions. "

Shall keep your words in mind next time. I didn't know an innocuous question could be taken as - making-people-'read'-their-mind-read! Smile Had never experienced that. I felt it's not out of context or vague, so I posted it that manner. Will try not to do that in the future. Smile

Thanks a lot for your reply by the way. It really helped. Smile
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:03 pm
@Razer,
Razer's question seemed perfectly clear to me. Although 'end' was repeated unnecessarily. I think he meant 'at the end'.

Razer wrote:
My question: Does the word say need "s" at end end? I feel yes because of third person singular

The answer is "yes, it does". One advertisement says something. Multiple advertisements say something.
Razer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 03:38 pm
@contrex,
Thanks Contrex. Yes, I meant "at the end".
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 03:53 pm
BTW, the T in Today's shouldn't be capitalized.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 04:07 pm
@Razer,
Before you click the reply button, highlight the word you want to underline or bold. Now, above the post box there are a series of buttons. B will bold it, i will get italic, and u will underline the highlighted text. First time or two you try it, click the 'Preview' button to see how it will look before posting.

If you don't have these options, check out the Preferences in your profile.
Razer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 04:38 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Before you click the reply button, highlight the word you want to underline or bold. Now, above the post box there are a series of buttons. B will bold it, i will get italic, and u will underline the highlighted text. First time or two you try it, click the 'Preview' button to see how it will look before posting.

If you don't have these options, check out the Preferences in your profile.

Thanks Roger. I discover the toolbar by clicking on the green "close BBCode Editor" text. It worked. Smile
0 Replies