BURNING KORANS IS A BAD IDEA

Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:20 pm
@chai2,
The lastest is he's suspended the burning but rethinking the decision of cancelling it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/quran_burning
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:25 pm
@Arella Mae,
From what I've heard, he's headed to NYC to talk to the Imam there still believing that they're going to move to another site. Ain't gonna happen.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That article I posted says he believes they lied to him about there even being a deal. Personally, I'm with Miss Eva on this, he's doing it for the publicity. There is a youtube video of him at his church. The elders are carrying guns in the church. What he is doing isn't coming from God that's for sure!
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:33 pm
@Arella Mae,
I understand Jones comes from a church with 15 members. He just loves the worldwide publicity he's getting, but people who believe as he and calling themselves christians are missing something important in their brains.

They're supposed to teach that god loves all.
Eva

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:38 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

The lastest is he's suspended the burning but rethinking the decision of cancelling it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/quran_burning

In other words, he's got the media camped on his doorstep, hanging on his every word. I wonder how long he can keep up the suspense? (Yes, chai...TOTALLY jacked up.)
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The youtube said there were 30 members. 15, 30, 50, doesn't matter. He is the pastor of an extremely small church (thank God!). His book was released in August. I'm guessing sales have gone through the roof due to his "plan". Thing is, what he is doing isn't biblical so it's definitely not God ordering his steps.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I understand Jones comes from a church with 15 members. He just loves the worldwide publicity he's getting, .
which is why all this attention and hyperventilating is a mistake. It only encourages more of this. Let him burn a few books if he wants, it is his right, and be done with it.

Quote:
They're supposed to teach that god loves all.
It is their life, it is not your place to tell them what they should or should not do.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:40 pm
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Burn-A-Koran-Day/134718123226530?v=wall
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:40 pm
@Eva,
Hopefully, people are going to raise enough of a stink about it that he's not going to be able to do this. He is totally disregarding the fact that doing this is going to put every American in any muslim country in danger. There was a youtube that had some Muslim leader stating that very fact.
engineer

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
Maybe it is time to turn off the new cameras, send the reporters somewhere else and let him burn his books and eat some potato salad with his church buddies.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:43 pm
@dyslexia,
Yikes! One man with such a small church causing the whole world to be in an uproar and divided.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:52 pm
CI, I asked this question on another thread about this topic but so far no answer. Maybe you can answer it. Why can't the President order him to not do this? Wouldn't this be considered an international incident or a threat to national security?
Eva

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:53 pm
@Arella Mae,
I hope he goes ahead with the so-called "event" and the Gainesville police show up and arrest him for inciting a riot. Or disturbing the peace. Or holding a bonfire without a permit. Pick an offense...there would be plenty.

That would take a lot of the wind out of Muslim extremists' sails if an American who wanted to burn Korans was actually put in jail for it. Might calm things down...for a while at least.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:54 pm
@Eva,
From your lips to God's ears!
0 Replies

Eva

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:04 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

CI, I asked this question on another thread about this topic but so far no answer. Maybe you can answer it. Why can't the President order him to not do this? Wouldn't this be considered an international incident or a threat to national security?

I'm not CI, but let me try. The President is Commander-in-Chief of the military. He cannot "order" civilians. He can ask or request (which he did) citizens to do things, but this situation could be better compared with trying to talk someone down off a ledge. Of course, he can always order government agencies to stop the guy.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:06 pm
@Eva,
Thank you Miss Eva. Well, then the president needs to get busy ordering some agencies!

Of course, it's always possible there will be no retaliation but what if there is? What if people lose their lives because of this? How is he going to be able to justify that?
dyslexia

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:07 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

because the USA has a constitution that makes free speech (except very specific exceptions (yelling FIRE in a theatre) the law of the land. it's not at all complicated.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:09 pm
@dyslexia,
But, if it incites a violence or a riot then it is illegal and prosecutable, correct? If the Muslims rioted in Europe because someone made a cartoon of Muhammed, surely it would be lunacy to think they would not retalitate about the Qu'ran burning?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:09 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
What if people lose their lives because of this? How is he going to be able to justify that?
No need, he is not responsible for other people, what other people do. He needs to decide if he wants to burns some Korans or not, and be responsible for burning Korans. If other people end up killing then the Killers will need to justify their act of killing.
Arella Mae

Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
What if people lose their lives because of this? How is he going to be able to justify that?
No need, he is not responsible for other people, what other people do. He needs to decide if he wants to burns some Korans or not, and be responsible for burning Korans. If other people end up killing then the Killers will need to justify their act of killing.
Oh don't make me laugh! You, the one who thinks men shouldn't be held responsible for rape are now trying to tell me he is not responsible for what other people do? Good grief......................
0 Replies