Regarding a use of preposition.

Razer

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 03:43 pm
Sentence: You can get a good job in/at/with Tories.

My question: Which preposition - in, with or at - would be grammatically correct to use in the sentence? It's a sarcastic reply to someone Smile

Thanks and regard
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,880 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 04:27 pm
@Razer,
I would be equally happy with either 'at' or 'with'. 'In' would be fine if Tories were a town, but it sounds like a separate business.

I don't sense any sarcasm, but in some context it might be possible.
Razer

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 05:10 pm
@roger,
Thanks for answering, Roger, by Tories I meant Conservative party of Britian. In Britian, Conservative party is often call as Tories. It's sarcasm in a sense that a guy, to whom saying this, is a fan of this party, and I want to tell him that he can get a "job" in/at/with that party if he quits his current job!

Since now you know the context and what I meant by Torries, I hope now you can answer my question more surely. I guess it has to be either "at" or "with", no? Smile

Regards
JTT

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 05:49 pm
@Razer,
Regarding a use of preposition.

============

This is one of those either/or situations for the choice of article, 'a' or 'the', Razer. Because you have a specific one in mind, many would opt for 'the'.

Regarding the use of a preposition.

+++++++++++++++++++

You can get a good job with the Tories.

You might see 'in' used if you said,

... in the Tory Party.

roger

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 06:27 pm
@JTT,
Agree. And in the context you've given, there probably is some sarcasm involved.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 12:23 am
@Razer,
Razer wrote:

by Tories I meant Conservative party of Britian.

I this case (take it from me, I am a UK resident) you could say something like "You can get a good job with the Tories". You should be aware that they are not invariably referred to thus; their correct name is the Conservative Party, and this is often used when the party is being referred to rather than its members.

But (at least in Britain) political parties don't just hand out "jobs" to anyone who wants one. And "Britain" is spelt thus.
0 Replies

Razer

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:30 pm
Thanks JTT, Roger and Contrex for answering my question. Got all the points made by you folks. Smile
0 Replies