No additional insurance/drug coverage/Medicare/article added

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 11:55 am
This news today has me reeling in anger, though I understand the premise behind it:Fine print re medicare and drug benefits
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,350 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 12:58 am
Sorry, I just figured out why no one answered this question - I'll go cut and paste.

Here, then -

New Medicare Bill Bars Extra Insurance for Drugs
By ROBERT PEAR
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:58 am
Quote:
A person who enrolls in the new program could not buy or renew a Medigap policy to help defray drug costs.

It sounds like people who have had a Medigap program with a drug plan may renew it. What is a little fuzzy is whether people getting into Medicare after 2006, can take their choice.

No, it's NOT fuzzy. Looks like the younger people coming in later WON'T have a choice.

Quote:
But a little-noticed provision of the legislation prohibits the sale of any Medigap policy that would help pay drug costs after Jan. 1, 2006, when the new Medicare drug benefit becomes available.

I really wonder what is going to happen to the Medigap policies when the older people, who still have the choice, die off!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:48 am
That is just a first step. Traditional Medicare will also eventually fall victim to this legislation. People will have a choice between HMO and HMO. The sheep will have been shorn.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:53 am
au1929 - Let's us assume for the moment, that your fears are correct, and insurance for older people is privatized. There is another option besides HMOs. I would assume that the insurance companies would be falling over their feet developing traditional fee-for-service, and PPO plans similar to that which younger people use.

The problem is, that in a few years, baby boomers will be reaching Medicare age. At that point, Medicare, as we know it know, may not be fiscally able to sustain itself.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:54 am
ANYONE except Bush in 2004...this administration is criminal and raping us as citizens....start this week by having dog food one meal a day...not alpo, the cheap stuff...increase by a meal a day until you're used to it......this is about the only real way to prepare for what's to come compliments of the Bush Crime syndicate.....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:08 am
Phoenix32890
The fee for service plans developed by the Insurance companies will run into the same problem as Medicare. In order to make them profitable they will require costly premiums. Premiums that most will be unable to sustain.
The present legislation is geared to give a windfall to the insurance and pharmaceutical industries. In addition the cost to the government will be far greater than $400 bln. The entire premise of the legislation is a lie.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:18 am
au1929 you expected something else? A rhetorical question.....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:20 am
Bush to Sign Sweeping Medicare Changes
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush is signing into law the most far-reaching changes in Medicare since the program's inception nearly 40 years ago, checking off another priority amid questions about its fiscal wisdom. The most significant part of the $400 billion overhaul adds prescription drug coverage to the federal health insurance program for the elderly, starting in 2006. Beginning next May, seniors can buy a Medicare-approved discount card for $30 or less to help offset the growing costs of prescriptions

Question: What is the discount %? Who gets the $30?

I wonder what branch of government represent the Drug and insurance industries? It must be the department of screw the people.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:38 am
Phoenix32890

I would draw your attention to the dicussion on this subject in the link noted.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15347&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90
0 Replies