children deprived of philosophy

HexHammer

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:10 am
The parrot spoke in a compulsery way, from earl monin', to the dark of day!
..the sad thing was that no one could sway..
..the simple minded parrort from it's simpleminded way!

O if I could cure the world of all stupidity and sin
..mankind could progress for infinity and win!
..but what is the cure?
..could it be done in a day?
..unfortunaly stupidity will always have the final say!
jgweed

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 05:12 am
@55hikky,
It is probably an accurate statement to say that this kind of "philosphical" education is not uniformly attempted or achieved, at least in US secondary educational institutions. While there are many explanations for the disparity, the most universal would seem to be the rather low expectations demanded for graduation, and indeed for education itself in this country, where "relevance" and "entertainment" seem to dominate over course content.

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 06:06 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

The parrot spoke in a compulsery way, from earl monin', to the dark of day!
..the sad thing was that no one could sway..
..the simple minded parrort from it's simpleminded way!

O if I could cure the world of all stupidity and sin
..mankind could progress for infinity and win!
..but what is the cure?
..could it be done in a day?
..unfortunaly stupidity will always have the final say!

It is no wonder, if stupidity is fed and wisdom starved... You can keep the vast majority of the population uneducated because they have no political power, and you can deny them political power because they are uneducated; and it is a catch 22, but one that can hold for only so long because people need government to work no matter who is calling the shots, and if it fails them they will take over, stupid, or not; but how bright does any person has to be in a true democracy to see where their best interest lies... It does not lie with any government which equates wealth with virtue, or honor, that denies to the bulk of the population what they need for life, health, and happiness...Education is essential to happiness... The ignorant are not happy, but cruel, and uncaring... They are jealous of rights, and knowing they are without power seek only to take the rights of others to deny to all what power they are denied..
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 04:32 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:

A famous philosopher once wrote something to the effect that "philosophy is a disturber of the peace"

I think it is necessary. There is no "peace" but the illusions and ignorance the current adults put themselves in as a collective delusion, and children which are taught to think openmindedly, without constrained to the current dogmatism and pedagogy would probably be neutral at worst and would definitely not be degradation at all. Only good can come about this. Adults may be startled and threatened, but what is the risk? world peace at last? complete cessation of carbon emission? the possibilities are endless where a entirely new batch of children are not bound by limits the adults put themselves through to satisfy their primal needs and fear of knowing and true/collective responsibility. Adults who state quote similar to "children are not capable of philosophy" are exactly the type of adults they have become as a result of the type of teachings I am trying to avoid; close-minded, unambitious, fearful, egotistical, and judgmental. How can the world progress at all when these adults who do nothing but work day and night to make payments for their car and house and all other little hassle they choose to put themselves through to make themselves look "successful" and "prosperous" and using this as an excuse (" i'm busy") to look away from larger, predominant questions such as global warming, world hunger, slave trade, contemporary genocide, but rather indulge in media entertainment, cars, fashion, jewelry, pets, interior design, etc...
and on and on I go about this topic

-55hikky
Fido

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 07:42 am
@55hikky,
55hikky wrote:

jgweed wrote:

A famous philosopher once wrote something to the effect that "philosophy is a disturber of the peace"

I think it is necessary. There is no "peace" but the illusions and ignorance the current adults put themselves in as a collective delusion, and children which are taught to think openmindedly, without constrained to the current dogmatism and pedagogy would probably be neutral at worst and would definitely not be degradation at all. Only good can come about this. Adults may be startled and threatened, but what is the risk? world peace at last? complete cessation of carbon emission? the possibilities are endless where a entirely new batch of children are not bound by limits the adults put themselves through to satisfy their primal needs and fear of knowing and true/collective responsibility. Adults who state quote similar to "children are not capable of philosophy" are exactly the type of adults they have become as a result of the type of teachings I am trying to avoid; close-minded, unambitious, fearful, egotistical, and judgmental. How can the world progress at all when these adults who do nothing but work day and night to make payments for their car and house and all other little hassle they choose to put themselves through to make themselves look "successful" and "prosperous" and using this as an excuse (" i'm busy") to look away from larger, predominant questions such as global warming, world hunger, slave trade, contemporary genocide, but rather indulge in media entertainment, cars, fashion, jewelry, pets, interior design, etc...
and on and on I go about this topic

-55hikky

You are correct that there is no peace, and if Philosophers are disturbers of the peace it is because they remind people that change is our universal constant...Life is change... Reality is change... Existence is change... Politics is short change...
But; philosophy is about forms, and forms are about stability...Even if we conceive of change, that concept is of a form whole, and complete, a process from beginning and end... Our forms from dwellings to relationships to government all are designed to resist change, because we hope to capture some good with our forms, and to resist change which we know subconsciously brings death and destruction... And yet; all of human history and experience is the story of changing forms, and philosophy, which looks at all things should know this...And Jefferson clearly knew of what he wrote in the Declaration of Independence in his reference to forms, and though we do not wish to change our forms we always must, or the form that gave us life yesterday will take it tomorrow...

With formal consciousness such as philosophy breeds, we should be able to manage change, to examine our forms and fix them if we can, or abandon them and build others if we cannot... Most people are trapped by the form... They know their societies and institutions do not work... They know that change is needed, but whether forward, or backwards or all together different escapes them... For whom the form works there is no question that resistence to change will not answer... They know that at any given time the majority will always choose life as it is rather than an uncertain future, and so they have many allies... And those who need change are fools to try to change out of frustration and blindness... Only formal consciousness keeps people from running around in stupidity trying first to act, and then to organize, and then to think, and then to communicate all over and over again...

In the proper order of things, one must first recognize that change is necessary and essential to life... Then, one,must learn formal consciousness, to see all reality through forms, which are all forms of relationship, and then be able to recognize the value of a form in the health of a relationship...One must be able to see moral forms, which is to say: Spiritual forms, for the infinites they are, and rather than wasting time trying to define those infinites, recognize what their value is in helping us to define ourselves and our purposes... Then, having some understanding of moral forms, to see how they play into the creation of social forms, like government, or religion... The moral forms that went into the creation of our government are clearly stated, and I only wish it were always so... Marriage too, is a social form; but there would be less trouble with marriage, either staying in or getting out if the moral forms which motivate its creation were clearly stated... People make certain oaths to each other, but if they ever talked about the moral forms they hope to realize through the social form the might realize before that it is a lost cause...

Social forms should serve the interests and lives of the people in them... The question is called, as well it should be, of what are our shared values and morals... Clearly, some people believe their morals are superior to my own, and I may as well disagree... Since moral forms are the blue prints of social forms, it is there we must first seek agreement... I can agree with many on my right and left that the situation as it stands is unacceptable... The question is whether we can talk to one another enough to see if we can agree enough to change our social forms in a responsible and rational manor enough to achieve our short range goals... It is pointless to try to build for eternity when clearly we are of the moment...
NoOne phil

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:18 pm
@55hikky,
There are two approaches to teaching. Which one are you referring to.
One, the Platonic style, let me call it, and the other, the Aristotelian.
Going back to binary basics, the one is to form and the other is to material. Or again, the one exercises judgment, the other memory, rote.

For example, Plato wrote in a particular style, one had to abstract what was meant, while Aristotle simply made a number of assertions to memorize.
Plato's style is akin to the Judeo-Christian Scripture--one has to exercise princples of grammar to understand what is to be understood. Aristotle, like the Encyclopedia Britanica.

Plato recognized the two distinct psychological types of people which stress either form, Aristotle was completly unaware of it. The one requires a craftsman, the other a simple consumer.
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:18 pm
@Fido,
in the first paragraph, when you speak of "forms" what do you mean by "changing forms" as, one of the example was, "is the story of changing forms" does this mean that our image of what the ideal is? (assuming that the forms you talk about is the Forms by Plato (abstract non-materials which are said to have the highest properties and said to be the True object)?)

I see on the most part you agree with my notion, but not necessarily my approach. I feel as if the majority of your reply lies in the notion of how forms (marriage, social, spiritual, etc.) are the essence of the foundation in a society and one can identify whether that society will flourish with happiness or eventually diminish by observing the forms. As well as a more metaphysical perspective to this, which was interesting in of itself. Though some concepts I’d love for you to elaborate for clarification on your point, I’ll reply with my emphasis on your last paragraph.

You stated that the question, or the defining factor in whether we can manage change, depends on whether we can talk to each other, explore our differences in views, morals, endeavors, and purpose, to arrive to an understanding, if not in agreement.

If this is correct, I’ll continue, if not, just say so and don’t go on to read what I had to write in response. Just tell me what you really meant.

I personally think that there is no way we can come to an understanding, let alone an agreement in a moral code that will unify all human beings. (ill make it clear that the purpose of me trying to bring reformed education (ie philosophy to children) is to make this world a more peaceful, harmonious, less-violent, less-hostile environment. Aka “world peace”... if this is not your notion, stop reading, for my response predicates upon this notion). I think there are too many adults in this world that are not capable of any appreciable level of critical thinking skills due to various inhibiting factors such as high pressure by society to work which inhibits time to think and reflect on actions, decisions, moral issues and global issues. Complemented by high stress level to meet payments and responsibilities, set by the government and themselves. To offset this stress we often take up hobbies or indulge in entertainment or drugs. The society today, in America, and perhaps other first world countries too, is predicated upon us being busy and not have the luxury to think. How can I expect these people, who believe they are the “educated,” “supreme,” and “most advanced” form of humans on this planet, to possibly teach them that they really know nothing in life and all they are good for is propagating suffering and humiliation for humanity. Really, it’s impossible. The reason I say it is impossible has another reason though, because you might say, “well no, I think if we offer valid proof and reason and with teamwork it is possible, theoretically.” I am going to say that it is not possible, even theoretically. That is because I have seen people, who are informed, but still cannot get over how they still feel which ellicits from how they were raised.

I am now going to emphasize on human development, for I have now progressed the discussion to talk about the innate learning and how subconscious cognition works within us to shape how we think. For I am trying to prove to you that teaching them now, as adults, is not possible for what they learned as a child holds strong influence on how they think today, and information told to them now may change how they think, but will not change who they are.

I personally grew up in a environment where I am exposed to Latin Americans, African Americans, Asians, Europeans, Russians, and literally, every single nationality you can think of and so has everyone around me in my generation. I have grown up with them, and I will admit that though I will never go out of my way to assert any form of stereotypical comments, nor will I ever go out of my way to think that they are any less of a human being than I am, I will never be able to see them as a blank-state human being. I know this because I have grown up from when I was two years old, to 17 years old with a Muslim, a Chinese, and a Israli and I can feel within me that I do not hold the same type of view as I do towards these three specific race compared to others. To me, the people I grew up with is a part of me, and is what defines me. I have innate connection of life and them as a integral part of it.
Of course, from the perspective of a 50 years ago, where black men and women had absolutely no rights, my way of thinking about people that are not my nationality is amazing. But I am not satisfied with that. I need people to go beyond that, not just not calling them names, but a complete and absolute acceptance of all race as human beings and cessation of all differentiations based on race or ethnicity. And to do this, we have to start from when they are young. Adults can be informed and convinced to not act in a certain way, but in their hearts, in their subconscious, they will never change, because the idea (of making distinction between races) has been repeated over and over rampantly, without ever being controlled, it will be almost impossible to yield any substantial level of understanding of this concept before they die.
This is why I seek to change children, rather than have adults talk.
I am sorry I diverged on my notion, but I hope you had the same intuition, that the purpose of changing the education system, when you claimed, “The question is whether we can talk to one another enough to see if we can agree enough to change our social forms in a responsible and rational manor enough to achieve our short range goals.” I guess it would be too late, but what did you mean by “short range goals?” what exactly are your goals in social reforms? I would say it is complete and absolute equality of human beings as human beings, undifferentiated upon race or nationality. For though I believe that diversity is the one factor of humanity that holds its beauty (how one species can harbor a myriad of different views), but we are unable to handle this; we are like children in an art museum; we do not appreciate it, we only pervert them and destroy them. History has shown that the only reason, and all of the reason for battle, is that they are predicated upon the fact that there are difference between us. People think they are better than the other, we place value on people, we apply properties and certain vocabulary words to their existence and seek out difference, and ultimately, at this time, the purpose of placing values and differentiating between people, is to see if we are or are not better than them. And this, in my opinion, can grow to conflicts. Whether it be religion (taliban), nationality (world war two), states (sports), different cities (college sports), friends (different views), or anything. Whenever there is any form of “difference” or distinction in people whether placed by others or inherent, is the origin of all conflicts. In fact, we may say in today’s life, the whole purpose of difference among men, is to fight. And I want to solve this by teaching children whatever it is that I can, to show them that it is critical, to be able to ask questions, and wonder why, and know how life works in today’s society rather than formulas for chemistry, or memorize the name of the plants and animals, or learn how things fly in the air; all of which are important to some degree but not at the cost of what they are relinquishing.

what do you think?
Fido

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 09:39 pm
@55hikky,
Its late and I will try to come back to this tomorrow; but if a person moves from a tent to a dungeon to a house; those are changes of forms which also imply a change of consciousness... If a society moves from hunting and gathering to agriculture and animal husbandry, it is a change of forms as well as of formal understanding... Our social forms, like government and economy have always been built out of moral forms, our spiritual sense, and moral understanding of right and wrong... Forms, concept, and ideas have played a tremedous part in history, and the leading role in philosophy for this reason...
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 08:16 am
@Fido,
Actually, I believe that social progress is paralleled by man's linguistic ability. I do not mean being illiterate in several languages, but principles of judgment that become hard wired as part of the human mind.

This being said, judgmental skills should be the foundation of education, not the ability to parrot.
Fido

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 08:27 am
@NoOne phil,
NoOne phil wrote:

Actually, I believe that social progress is paralleled by man's linguistic ability. I do not mean being illiterate in several languages, but principles of judgment that become hard wired as part of the human mind.

This being said, judgmental skills should be the foundation of education, not the ability to parrot.

Judgement as well a prejudice can be hardwired culturally through language...
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 08:34 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

NoOne phil wrote:

I have only observed that habits are learned.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 09:43 am
@NoOne phil,
Habits are learned and being alive is the opposite of being dead...
...mighty Obi-Wan Kenobi...wisdom flows in your veins I tell you and erudition is your second name I guess ! Laughing
Fido

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Habits are learned and being alive is the opposite of being dead...
...mighty Obi-Wan Kenobi...wisdom flows in your veins I tell you and erudition is your second name I guess ! Laughing
pardon me; but wouldn't you have to be able to define life before saying what its opposite is??? As an infinite, I doubt that is possible...
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 10:40 am
@Fido,
If life is a first principle, can it be defined, or must it be abstracted? First principles of grammar--a convention of names.
Fido

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:38 pm
@NoOne phil,
NoOne phil wrote:

If life is a first principle, can it be defined, or must it be abstracted? First principles of grammar--a convention of names.

A definition is an abstraction, but what is true of all infinites is that they cannot be defined....
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:43 pm
@Fido,
My question was in the distinction between life, and a life.
A definition is the preservation of the social convention which equates the name of a thing with the names of that things forms and the material differences in those forms.
See my treatise. Language and Experience. I don't have a conventional logical process.
55hikky

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:55 pm
@NoOne phil,
NoOne phil wrote:

can you elaborate on this? "Social progress is paralleled by man's linguistic ability."; do you mean the ability for us to express ourselves; "freedom of speech"?
are you saying that freedom of speech yields "social progress", or that "social progress" permits "linguistic ability" (which i'm translating to "freedom of speech" or "right to voice". )

I don't disagree with "judgmental skills should be the foundation of education," though in my earlier response I did emphasize the necessity to stop discrimination, that was highly theoretical, and only my wish. But in reality, judgmental skills is useful and if not abused, or abused, it is necessary. But please elaborate on what you mean by your last sentence.

also for future reference, on posting responses on my discussion, it would be very helpful if you can also state several proofs that led to your claims rather than a curt statement of your opinion...
not saying that you should write a 6000 word entry, like i did, but some elaboration would help progress the discussion, as well as help us define your point rather than going off on a tangent of asking each other to prove things explicitly.

like for example your last sentence;
what are you talking about when you say "judgmental skills" what is your definition of "foundation of educations", what do you think we should do then if judgmental skills are being used as the ability to parrot. what do you think is the problem with us using judgmental skills being used to parrot, what the benefit of judgmental skill being the foundation of education; what is the foundation of education today, in other nations, etc....

I am not getting anything out of this sentence.

-55hikky
55hikky

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 06:57 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

examples please, elaborate please.
is this a problem?
what is the solution?
what are you saying???

-55hikky
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 07:43 pm
@Fido,
Nonsense. Pattern re-emergence suffices for definition.
Infinity not being definable is yet another classical cliché which leads nowhere and points to nothing...

What would be an Infinity if not more of the same ?
....all you have on Infinity as you conceive it are abstract projections into non-being Fido...
NoOne phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 12:06 am
@55hikky,
As those idiots called the ancients pointed out. Given any two words, all you can do is assert or deny one of the other. Is or is not. That is judgment. Every sentence you write is constructed of a number of simple judgments added together--just like place value notation in simple arithmetic.

So, if you do not know the principles of predication--you are creating heaps of words with no idea of what you are saying.