Meditation techniques to relieve stress and anxiety.?

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 12:47 am
I am looking for internet sources to learn meditation techniques to relieve mental stress and anxiety. Can anybody suggest such sites? I notice most sites discuss a lot about usefulness of different methods but do not give clear instructions about how to practise meditation. Also I want to understand how meditation work so that we are relieved from stress. My health is affected due to mental stress at present.

existential potential

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 04:08 am
@martinmurmure,
what are you stressed/anxious about, if you don't mind me asking? sometimes its better to talk these things through. meditation can be one way to relieve stress, but talking can be as therapeutic as meditation.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:24 am
I would find an actual physical teacher and place. The 'technique' is of secondary importance but if that is what you're looking for, then I would recommend doing a Google search on 'Zazen Method'. Set aside a place and a time, and make sure you stick with it.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 06:14 am
One very quick way is to take yoga.

"Meditation" is a process and yoga will show you if you even have the attention span to begin this study.

0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 02:24 pm
Look up your local Buddhist temple/center, they usually will have meditation sessions, and beginners are almost always more than welcome. Sometimes they have beginner meditation classes, and payment may or may not be necessary. This is really the best way to learn about basic technique and the philosophy behind it.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 02:49 pm
@Pangloss,
Never tried it. I tried working out till I almost puked. That seemed to relax me well enough.
Pemerson

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 03:17 pm
Unity churches (or Centers) teach meditation techniques. I don't know where you live but Unity churches exist in most cities. They ask nothing of their congreations and are nondenominational. You can participate in a meditation during Sunday services and there are various classes offered. Or, you can choose to attend a class specializing in stress and anxiety caused by depression.

Unity is mostly known for the classes held in evenings and on Saturday, good music on Sunday. Most people you'd find there are people like yourself, those among us who search for workable ways to heal themselves physically, emotionally or mentally. You can also simply call any Unity church to seek advice of any kind, including addictions.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 04:48 pm
@farmerman,
Yea, exercise is more to my liking as well...but you can get benefits from both. I tried meditation for a few months, and went to the weekly local theravadan Buddhist meetings during that time. It can definitely help to clear the mind, relieve stress, and influence one's outlook on the world in a positive way.

I became a bit disillusioned with the Sangha when I realized that people were mainly there for self-help purposes rather than for really learning the Buddhist teachings...and that's OK, but not exactly what I was looking for. But meditation is useful for all sorts of things, and you might doubt this, as I did, until you try it with some serious effort.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:38 pm
@jeeprs,
Surprised
Smile

Good to see you again, jeeprs!
jeeprs

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 04:09 am
@msolga,
Hi! Thanks. I have been hanging around some other online abode. I thought after I quit here I might have closed that chapter of my life, but for some reason I just keep coming back. Sigh. Anyway I suppose online philosophy is one of the least pernicious things you can do on the internet, and with your time.

Incidentally, don't know if anyone else has noticed, but have a look at the google ads at bottom. Spooky, hah. Anyways, the key thing to remember about meditation is that it is like the Nike advertisement:

JUST DO IT!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:41 am
@Pangloss,
Nothin against it, just never tried it. I always thought that Id fall asleep and get asked to leave .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:32 am
http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php
0 Replies