Snowstorm Dec, 2003

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:49 pm
sozobe wrote:
Enjoying the descriptions!

So far, we can barely compete with Brand X's frost around here, but there was a teeny tiny dusting of honest-to-god snow this morning. That's progress, in my book.

You guys are getting dangerously close to a 'frostastrophe'!

We haven't had any frost in three days, the city is still in disarray. All the frost blower's and frost salt shaker trucks are being serviced. Morton's sent two more packs of salt just in case. The frost road crew are getting a much needed rest, one guy is being treated from a paper cut he recieved opening a pack of salt.

All in all this last frostastrophe wasn't as bad as it could have been, then again winter isn't over and I saw a worm in my drive that had one hair on it, could be a bad omen for us.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 01:07 am
We got a whopping three to four inches here in KC on the 9th. Could have been worse - we had two inches of rain before it finally froze and the snow started coming down. So the roads are FUBAR'd cuz of all the ice, and they can't scrape the roads properly. At lot of roads still have a small icepack on them, which is unusual for two days later.

Now they're saying more snow this weekend. I like the snow, myself, and can handle it very well. So Let It Snow!

My parents just moved to Alaska, (well, my dad moved back) and Mom was complaining about the three to five inches they get each day. Oh, I wish. . .

And as KC is in a dry cycle now, three to four we got was quite a bit. I think we got that much last year, and here it is the second snow and we topped last year. Of course, that first snow was barely a dusting.

And it's cold. Down to 10 degree's farenhiet last night, and it's 15 now. This is about as cold as it usually gets here. We did have a stretch two or three years ago where it got down to about -5, and that was bitterly cold for this area. I like the cold too. . . sleep with the window up and it drives my wife nuts. Hey, I like being cold when I sleep, then I can pile the blankies on and snuggle under them!
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 01:15 am
I still have a T-shirt that says "I survived the Blizzard of '78". Anyone else have one?

Four feet of snow shut down Massachusetts for a week. It took about that long to pull all the cars off the freeways. In the suburbs south of Boston there was a ban on driving for a couple days, so everybody tied ropes to their sleds and walked to the grocery store. It was the most festive and friendly week in quite a while. People stopped and chatted and helped each other out. We could use more snow storms.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:04 am
Littlek
We also had a melt down yesterday and last night and it's suppose to be nice out today as well. That works for me. I've never seen a storm like this one where the wind was blowing so hard that most of the snow ended up blowing somewhere else. I kept wondering where it all went until I had my yearly visit from the school district superviser who told me that they ended up with the brunt of our snow in the city. He was very surprised that we didn't get more than we did, lol!

Soz
Hey, a dusting actually puts you on the charts. Congrats ;-)

Brand X
Thank goodness that those poor frost plowers can finally take a break. Bless them for all their amazingly hard work. That paper cut must have been devistating. I wonder if he'll continue in that line of work when he recovers.
If you saw a worm with a hair on it, you better stock up on stuff for the winter. I think it's gonna be a long one.
Hang in there brother ;-)

Turner
Snow isn't that bad, but ice under snow is very bad. Last year was terrible here with ice.
Alaska, wow! I use to love the snow until I moved back to Canada. I don't mind it all that much, but I can't say I love it anymore. Starting in January it pretty much snows every other day and you get pretty tired of cleaning it up after awhile.

Smiley
Welcome to A2K :-D

Boy do I remember the Blizzard of 78. I was living in Waltham at the time and I think I was 13. There was a driving ban in our city and it was the first time I had seen snow mobiles driving around the city. I think we got a week off from school during that storm, so it worked for me ;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:05 pm
More melt today and last night, but tonight it's freezing up. There's black ice on the sidewalks, but not so much on the streets.

I was a kid in 78 - what an adventure that was. I took out my camera (a little photographical documentarian even then) to immortalize the cars that were burried up to their antenas. That was fun for me and I can imagine that sense of comraderie because we had that this weekend (until the snow mountain thing happened).
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:32 am
Montana - Maybe I see just enough of it to not get tired of it. When I first moved to Kansas, I lived in Lawrence. And it snowed that first winter (92) and the snow came and stayed all winter. I remember big piles of snow in the parking lot behind where I worked. And it lasted forever! Then spring came and it all went away. But next winter, it was back! Early even! This time it snowed before thanksgiving. . .it was cool. But from then, it started snowing less and less each year.

And it's snowing outside! Yeah! They say two to four inches, but I watched this storm crawl out of southwestern ks all night last night, and it slowly moved accross the state, pickin up steam. They're saying two to four inches, but I think we'll get more than that. It just started snowing here, and it's backed up all the way to Oklahoma city. So we might get more than that.

But, yeah, I'm sure if I had to deal with it all the time each winter it would soon loose its luster. But I'll enjoy it for now.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 01:22 am
It's been nice the past few days and it's nice to see tha lawn again before it vanishes for the winter. Says it's suppose to get colder from here to Thursday, but Thursday is suppose to be very nice. Very strange winter so far.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:09 am
I'm with Eva - I hate snow!

lovely photos though Montana.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:16 pm
Vivien wrote:
I'm with Eva - I hate snow!

lovely photos though Montana.

Thanks Vivien. They are saying that we are suppose to get another storm on Monday Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:30 am
It just started snowing. Here we go again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:25 pm
we got about 6 inches of snow last night. ust before it turned to sleet and rain it formed the biggest clump-flakes that came down like wet, crumpled tissues. Never seen anything like that before. When I woke up all was crusty on top and slushy underneath. And then it all froze up. Nasty out there. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer......
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:42 pm
We're getting nailed. They say we're looking at another 2 feet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:58 pm
oh no! Keep that snow north of the border, thankyouverymuch!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:28 pm
Dropped a mrtgage payment on a snowthrower Saturday. Used it this morning.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:26 pm
good thinking SP. You've a whole lot of driveway to maintain!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 04:51 am
Not all that much, but I do the neighbor's as well...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 02:41 am
We lost our power at 11pm Monday and I was up all night feeding the woodstove until Tues morning around 9am when the power came back on. I was exausted. Then after sleeping until 3pm Tues I woke up with a sore throat, but had to go out and shovel anyway. Had to shovel some more today (Wed) and still have this darn sore throat. It's suppose to rain tomorrow and I have to go out in that to run some errands.

Jeeez!!!! I woman just doesn't have time to be sick around here.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:17 am
Just talked to my father. He said it was 33C (I think that's about 92 in your funny fahrenheit scale). Man, could he use something to cool him down!!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:23 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Just talked to my father. He said it was 33C (I think that's about 92 in your funny fahrenheit scale). Man, could he use something to cool him down!!

If he'd be so kind as to send about half of his heat up this way we'd all be happy campers. Wink
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 05:56 pm
Lessee, nice (though hot) Australian weather in return we get..........

Quote:
Four feet of snow shut down Massachusetts for a week. It took about that long to pull all the cars off the freeways.

Quote:
we got about 6 inches of snow last night. ust before it turned to sleet and rain it formed the biggest clump-flakes that came down like wet, crumpled tissues. Never seen anything like that before. When I woke up all was crusty on top and slushy underneath. And then it all froze up. Nasty out there.

Quote:
We're getting nailed. They say we're looking at another 2 feet.

...not what I would qualify as a fair exchange!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies