Can parentheses comma be used in this way?

Razer

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:30 pm
This is just a general question to know whether parentheses comma can be used "when" multiple comma are following it. Like this for example : "He has ripped apart, the most biased, the most immoral, the most corrupt, government organization".

Here in the example the parentheses comma has been used after the word "apart" and ends after the word "corrupt". So essentially we have put "most biased, most immoral, most corrupt" under the parentheses. This is just an example. My question is can parenthesis be used in this way? Can multiple commas follow parenthesis like in my example? Please help.

Thanks and regards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,647 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Eva

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:39 pm
@Razer,
Correct punctuation would be as follows:

"He has ripped apart the most biased, the most immoral, the most corrupt government organization."

Commas in sentences in quotation marks follow the same rules as commas in sentences not in quotation marks. There are no commas after the words apart and corrupt. The final period goes inside the quotation marks, not outside them, because it is part of the sentence being quoted.

FYI....
" and " = quotation marks
( and ) = parentheses
Razer

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:04 pm
@Eva,
Thanks Eva. Can we use dash in place of parentheses comma?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:13 pm
Not if you want to be correct. Wink
0 Replies