Are my observations correct that many women tend to have female friends of a similar height?

Foofie

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:54 am
I have noticed that often, when two women friends are walking together, they are of a similar height. Not one tall woman walking next to one short woman. I have not seen this amongst men. A tall man may be walking with a short male friend much more often than when it is two female friends walking together.

Is this a real phenomenon? If yes, is there a reason?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 4,369 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:12 am
Not necessarily. I have friends of all different heights.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:16 am
@Foofie,
Are you right?

Not in my case.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:22 am
@Foofie,
My wife is on the short side, but looking at her best friends, they tend to be of all heights. On that very limited observation, I'd refute the hypothesis.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:33 am
Haha, that's another good example that Foofie doesn't get out much.

I am 5'9" and almost all my friends - female or male are shorter than me,
a few are taller but none are the same height, strangely enough.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:35 am
@Foofie,
Depends on what you consider similar height. Most women are in a closer height range than men.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:37 am
I have a wide variation in female friend height. Male friend height too.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:41 am
@Intrepid,
I thought that too, but when I looked it up, the 95th percentile - 5th percentile is 9 inches for white men, 8 inches for white women. Pretty close overall.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:59 am
@Foofie,
yeah me too - I have friends of all different types - actually most are taller than me probably because I am small.

Maybe your observations are due to the fact that most people you see are of average height thus on average you would see people walking together that are of close to the same height.

If you were to see a very short person walking with a very tall person then it would look odd - but that would make sense as there are fewer very short and fewer very tall people than average height.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 01:53 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Is this a real phenomenon?

nope, doesn't appear to be in the world out here
dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 02:41 pm
@ehBeth,
I was driving through Nucla Colorado about 4 years ago and I saw 3 women all about the same height. Now it's true I only saw a total of 3 women in Nucla but damn they were all within one inch in height. Diane commented to me at the time, she said "DYS all 3 of those women are damn near the same height! I answered back "WHOA ain't that somthin', are you sure? and she said "Yeah, I'm damn sure, no more than an inch apart." well, that just goes to show you, some women are about the same height.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 02:51 pm
@dyslexia,
I've never ever ever known a woman who picked her friends for their height.

On the other hand, lots of people seem to care about height in picking a mate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:33 pm
@Foofie,
Nope. My friends are all over the place, ranging from less than five feet to right at 6 feet (I know two 6-footers, actually, one of whom is a very close friend). (I'm 5' 6 or so.)

I do tend to be able to understand tall people better, depending on how the short person speaks. There is one person I know who I like a lot but I find it very hard to understand her because she's teeny (right about five feet) but HATES being short and doesn't like looking up at people. (I'm deaf and read lips.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:36 pm
@dyslexia,
You can spot an Indian too, cuz they always walk single-file.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:51 pm
You should've been there when JPB, Izzie and I got together a couple of years ago. We got along like long lost sisters, and we couldn't have been more different in height.

I'm 5'6" now, and my best female friends are 5'2", 5'3" and 5'10". Oh, I almost forgot one. She's 5'5"...pretty close to my height, actually. So that's one out of four, I guess.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:33 am
O.K. the basic hypothesis could be invalid. But, is it possible that in NYC, where I have made these observations, of similar height amongst female friends, there is some other factor going on? I say this since I do believe that NYC women, when putting together a clothing ensemble, "mix and match" with some sort of inherent knowledge, of "what goes with what." And, outside NYC it appears to me that a "correct ensemble" is a totally matching ensemble by color - for example, blue shoes, blue dress, blue pocketbook, blue jacket, etc. So, perhaps, some NYC women might often think of one's female companion, as part of one's ensemble (aka, it should "match")?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:04 am
@Foofie,
Oh boy!! Foofie, have you even been outside of NYC yet?
Roberta

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 03:59 pm
@Foofie,
I'm a native New Yorker. My friends are all different heights. I do not think of my friends as part of an ensemble.

I don't know where you're hanging out or with whom, but what you see and what I see are two entirely different things.
Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 10:17 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I'm a native New Yorker. My friends are all different heights. I do not think of my friends as part of an ensemble.

I don't know where you're hanging out or with whom, but what you see and what I see are two entirely different things.

I do not "hang out." I have a coterie of minor acquaintences. Some act friendly enough, but I cannot consider them friends; just a concept to which I do not subscribe.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 10:19 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Oh boy!! Foofie, have you even been outside of NYC yet?

What is beyond NYC? What with the Earth being flat and all, it might be very dangerous to leave NYC!