Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:39 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/nyregion/27nyc.html?_r=1&hp

We have talked about Mother Teresa before on a2k with our usual diverging opinions, if I remember.

To me this takes the cake:

clip/

In the Latest Religious Battle, a Call to Arms for Mother Teresa
By CLYDE HABERMAN
Published: August 26, 2010

On the 26th of August 90 years ago, American women won the right to vote with the adoption of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution. That step toward a more perfect union was honored in New York style on Thursday night when the Empire State Building bathed its upper floors in lights of red, white and blue.

Hundreds of people came out to 5th Avenue and 34th Street Thursday night in support of lighting the Empire State building in honor of Mother Teresa’s 100th birthday.
On another 26th of August, 100 years ago, Mother Teresa was born.

There was an unorthodox way to look at the lights on Thursday and thus celebrate both anniversaries.

If you partially covered your eyes just so, you could have blocked out the red and seen only the blue and white. In that manner, you could have told yourself that the building was indirectly also honoring Mother Teresa, the beatified Roman Catholic nun and Nobel Peace Prize winner. Blue and white are the colors of the order, the Missionaries of Charity, that she guided until her death in 1997.

Alternatively, you could have rallied on the streets below the Empire State to protest the building’s rejection of a request for blue-and-white lighting — no red — in tribute to the woman known in the Catholic church as Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.

That’s what hundreds of people did at dusk on Thursday. No passive observance of the anniversary for them. They had answered an angry call to arms issued by William A. Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights.

end/clip
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,663 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:54 pm
@ossobuco,
What a missed opportunity for the tea partyers, not only could they continue booing the Muslim center, they could also have denounced another religion not their own.

Naturally, the number of blocks they would have to walk from the Muslim Center's location, might have influenced their decision to stay with the evil Muslims.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:05 pm
@Diane,
I can understand the mosque protesters even though I strongly disagree - but this situation confounds me. Even Haberman's take confounds me, that Mr. Malkin's decision was somehow "unwise". Come again?
Diane

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I know. The polarization, the lack of civility and the lack of cooperation has become ingrained in our society.

This doesn't seem political, but it reeks of ego.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
William Donohue. sheesh.

I get a bit <hugely> irritated every time I see him interviewed.

That guy's one heck of a charm school drop-out.
0 Replies