Do you believe all religions are truly one and the same?

zgreatarteest

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:55 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
zgreatarteest wrote:
Frank, it does not boggle my mind why you continue to blaspheme and fight against the knowledge of a Christian God whom you continually insist does not exist.

I insist the Christian God does not exist???

Do you mind actually quoting me saying that!

If you don't find it in this thread, please feel free to use any thread I've been in here or over in Abuzz.

Just find the statement where I insist that your god does not exist!

Okay, I will sustain from that remark. Even Satan, The Antichrist, believes there is a Christian God, so it makes perfectly good sense that you would
also. Evident by your blasphemies against Him. Please don't ask me to
look all those up, Frank.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:58 pm
Frank the blasphemer; edgarblythe the disbeliever.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:06 pm
truth
Right Z...teest. We atheists are very frustrated with Frank's refusal to come aboard. I think that he actually loves Christians....with a little garlic and a cold beer. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:09 pm
zgreatarteest wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
zgreatarteest wrote:
Frank, it does not boggle my mind why you continue to blaspheme and fight against the knowledge of a Christian God whom you continually insist does not exist.

If you don't find it in this thread, please feel free to use any thread I've been in here or over in Abuzz.

Okay, I will sustain from that remark. Even Satan, The Antichrist, believes there is a Christian God, so it makes perfectly good sense that you would
also.

Try to use your brain, Z.

I did not say that I "believe" in the Christian God. I merely said that I did not insist that the Christian God does not exist.

I AM AN AGNOSTIC. Try to get that through your head.

Quote:
Evident by your blasphemies against Him. Please don't ask me to

If you are saying that I consider the god of the Bible to be one of the most brutal, tyrannical, barbaric, murderous, vengeful, comic book gods ever devised by the human mind -- yes, I have said that.

And of course, that is exactly what the god of the Bible is like.

But the humans who devised the god may be right.

If so, I am in a whole lot of trouble.

And despite your protestations -- so are you! Because if that cartoon god actually does exist, you are certainly not doing enough to please it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:10 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Frank is right. I do not accept his position any more than yours, zgreat.

Thank you, Edgar.

That is kind of you to mention.

And I disagree with you completely, also.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:16 pm
truth
Correction: garlic and a nice chablis.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:20 pm
Smile Think nothin of it, Frank. I can't think of a nicer guy to disagree with. Actually, zgreat is probably a nice guy too, once you get beyond the mumbo-jumbo.
0 Replies

zgreatarteest

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:08 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
zgreatarteest wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
zgreatarteest wrote:

also.

Try to use your brain, Z.

I did not say that I "believe" in the Christian God. I merely said that I did not insist that the Christian God does not exist.

I AM AN AGNOSTIC. Try to get that through your head.

Quote:
Evident by your blasphemies against Him. Please don't ask me to

If you are saying that I consider the god of the Bible to be one of the most brutal, tyrannical, barbaric, murderous, vengeful, comic book gods ever devised by the human mind -- yes, I have said that.

And of course, that is exactly what the god of the Bible is like.

But the humans who devised the god may be right.

If so, I am in a whole lot of trouble.

And despite your protestations -- so are you! Because if that cartoon god actually does exist, you are certainly not doing enough to please it.

I am unable to get it through my head that you are an agnostic any more than you can get it through yours that Christianity is not a religion in its pure form. Some people want to compromise and try to make one out of it.

You are right that I could never come up to Gods standards on my own. God knew that also and in His mercy sent His Son Jesus Christ to do for me
what I could not do on my own. I regret you are to ignorant of Him to see the love of God instead of a tyrant, but then the god of this world would have seen to it that you would derive at that concept. You have a lot of company, which is even worse. No doubt some "religious and nominal" Christians may have helped him out on giving you a false veiw of Him. I know you don't care or want it, but He loves you anyway, Frank. Nolo
Contendra.

Say goodnight, Frank.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:55 am
Frank,

I agree that it "happens all the time" largely as a result of inter-group transactions which for the "more able" point to the arbitrariness of any particular belief system. However, the "more able" tend to be in the minority and may even cynically utilize religion as a power base to gain social adventage within their group. (...visions of Saddam Hussain attending the mosque...).

Twyvel,

I think that recognition of the limitations of "reasoning" can lead to "transcendence" but the problem is that "transcendence" is by definition "above" the ephemera of daily social conflicts. Hence if we evoke "transcendence" as pointing to the possible unity of "religion" via a vision of "ultimate truth" this places us (or "all") nebulously within a realm where there are NO questions or answers or any other modes of duality. Those claiming to have experienced such transcendence are aware that there is "nothing to say" and "nothing that can be said".
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:31 am
It is difficult to hold down one's dinner and read the circular arguments of the christian superstition. I get so giddy listening to "the bible says = truth = the bible says = truth = the bible says=..................... " ad nauseam.

Excuse me. I must go to the bathroom.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:57 am
zgreatarteest wrote:

You are right that I could never come up to Gods standards on my own. God knew that also and in His mercy sent His Son Jesus Christ to do for me
what I could not do on my own.

Enough with preaching already! How dare you force your superstitious crap down our throats. You represent everything we detest about religion. Want to know what we hate most about it? Look in the mirror.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:50 am
Gozmo got a good take on it too, Wilso.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:02 am
gozmo wrote:
It is difficult to hold down one's dinner and read the circular arguments of the christian superstition. I get so giddy listening to "the bible says = truth = the bible says = truth = the bible says=..................... " ad nauseam.

Excuse me. I must go to the bathroom.

Make room for me.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:19 am
fresco
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:22 am
You/I make the mistake of assuming they are open to rational debate and argument. For them its a matter of faith first, facts later. Sometimes you think you are having a sensible conversation then WANG "Jesus said...or The Bible shows us....or the Koran teaches us" and its all gone out of the window because its not what is said that counts anymore but the implied and absolute authority of the source. Reasoned argument is no longer possible. Sad
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:33 am
Interesting post twyvel. Or it would be if I could make any sense of it.

Isn't observing "nondually" - in the absence of the self, just the scientific objective approach? And what do you think of the notion from quantum physics that the act of observing itself influences outcomes...Schroedinger's cat etc. ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 08:02 am
zgreatarteest wrote:
[I am unable to get it through my head that you are an agnostic any more than you can get it through yours that Christianity is not a religion in its pure form. Some people want to compromise and try to make one out of it.

what I could not do on my own. I regret you are to ignorant of Him to see the love of God instead of a tyrant, but then the god of this world would have seen to it that you would derive at that concept. You have a lot of company, which is even worse. No doubt some "religious and nominal" Christians may have helped him out on giving you a false veiw of Him. I know you don't care or want it, but He loves you anyway, Frank. Nolo
Contendra.

Say goodnight, Frank.

Z, if you want to "believe" that the god of the Bible is loving, just, and merciful -- and that Christianity is not a religion -- go right ahead and do so. If you want to "believe" you can train an elephant to walk a tightrope stretched across the Grand Canyon -- go right ahead and do that also. You can "believe" anything you want.

But it is interesting that you do not even bother to TRY to rationalize why your loving, just, merciful god says that slavery is okay; advises parents to stone unruly children to death; considers people with physical disabilities or infirmities to profane holy places with their very presence -- and all that kind of stuff.

The god of the Bible is a joke -- and all this sniveling and kowtowing you holy rollers do is a joke also.

But you certainly are free to do it -- particularly if it makes you happy or if it gives you a sense of safety from this barbaric monster you fear so much.

Hey, things could be worse.

If there had been volcanoes in the Sinai, you people would still be tossing virgins into them and arguing about how ignorant the rest of us are for thinking GOD wouldn't want that to happen.

Good night, Z!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 08:03 am
Thank you, too, JL!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:28 pm
Twyvel,

I'm getting most of the above but I'm not clear whether you are advocating that "transcendence" points to unity of "religion" or not. I can understand it (transcendence) as being the essence of what we might call "spirituality" but I would want to differentiate between spirituality and religion in that I hold the first to be a state of "being" and the second to be a set of dispositions to act and to evaluate actions. Here I depart (with Krishnamurti) from those would say "right actions" lead to spirituality (e.g. Buddhists).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 09:01 pm
truth
Fresco, regarding the ultimate truth, if I beheld it, all I would say (following Wittgenstein and the early Taoists) is:

And I would say this from a perspective of blissfully absolute ignorance.
0 Replies