(Urgent)Regarding prepositions and an article

Razer

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 05:37 pm
Sentence: "People generally inform the direct message receiver about the direct message through/by/via tweet"

My question: Which preposition ( through, by or via) would be grammatically correct to use before the word tweet? I know all the prepositions mean the same but still I want to go with the best choice.

Besides, is there a need of any article before the word tweet? If yes then which article " a" or "the"?

Thanks and regards Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,731 • Replies: 8
No top replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:00 pm
@Razer,
I would personally use 'by,' but not because it's better or anything; really. Any could actually be used. No article is needed in this case before 'Tweet,' since it's basically being used as proper noun.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 06:52 pm
Are you aware that those who teach developmental (remedial) English have to teach their students that the subject of a sentence is never the object of a preposition?
roger

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:59 pm
@plainoldme,
How is 'People' the object of a preposition?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 09:12 pm
@roger,
Did I say it was?

I was just adding a piece of information about a situation that shocked me.

I tend to be very literal. Had I meant to say that in this sentence, people was the object of a preposition, I would have said just that.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:30 am
@Razer,
Why not ".... direct message using tweet?"
plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:12 am
@jgweed,
Great answer: brief and directly to the point.
0 Replies

Razer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:15 pm
Thanks everybody for your answers. Really appreciate it. Jgweed, special thanks to you. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:48 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Are you aware that those who teach developmental (remedial) English have to teach their students that the subject of a sentence is never the object of a preposition?

I'm sure that those poor souls are being taught a lot of nonsense about English, POM.
0 Replies