When will modern mankind progress?

HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:08 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Yes...its a matter of Belief.
It's a matter of superstition and naivity.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:24 pm
@HexHammer,
Write a letter to Santa and make your complain...maybe he will listen ! Cool
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:33 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Write a letter to Santa and make your complain...maybe he will listen ! Cool
Then why do you actually answer? ..if you don't listen?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:40 pm
@HexHammer,
Oh, I think I can read you well despite of my poor English and eye insight...I just don´t reason with you, but maybe Santa is more forgiving...

...meanwhile I would like to see your Utopian actually working model for Reality on the table...that would make my day !
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:47 pm
@Khethil,
You unconciously see people as emotional based creatures, if supersavants can have their emotional based values removed through genetherapy we would progress so much faster. Ofcause we should still have our nesting genes intact, else we couldn't replicate ourselves well.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:53 pm
@HexHammer,
You should really update your knowledge on Neuroscience on this matter...have you read Damasio´s "Descartes error" ? (Portuguese Scientist by the way)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes%27_Error
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:54 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Oh, I think I can read you well despite of my poor English and eye insight...I just don´t reason with you, but maybe Santa is more forgiving...

...meanwhile I would like to see your Utopian actually working model for Reality on the table...that would make my day !
When someone burst your buble, and are indecent enough to tell that you are wrong, your worlds crumbles and you responds in an overly emotional way.

And yes, it's an utopian dream I have with this, I hope we can progress as humans which we should, we as mankinds suffers from our own weaknesses, quite evident in this thread.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:57 pm
@HexHammer,
Go one post up in the Thread...Science and not vanity words is to where I point in the link !
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:04 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

You should really update your knowledge on Neuroscience on this matter...have you read Damasio´s "Descartes error" ? (Portuguese Scientist by the way)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes%27_Error
You like Fido from PF.com does indeed have an extensive knowledge, just that it comes down to how you precive, rationalize and facilitates it, without these factors knowledge is useless and one only becomes a Rain Man.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:17 pm
@HexHammer,
No I don´t by far have any such thing as an extensive knowledge, I wish !...
I dread on bureaucrats and technocrats in the first place...my fault, I should adapt...
Reason why my knowledge is vague and superficial in formal terms...but I do some reason on my readings and read "my walks in the park" quite to my satisfaction...

As for emotion and rationality...Spock from the Star Trek series was my childhood Hero, go guess the common place of such appeal...meanwhile I come past that...(but I still love Star trek, and Spock is the best !) Very Happy
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:22 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

For some time I'v been philosophising, yet I see very little progress in the methods which we uses, it's still marked with superstition, compulsive behaviour, stupidity. Only a very minor precentage of us actually progress a tiny bit, but the fools then only have new toys to play with, they don't really get much wiser.

My hope is, that some day mankind as a whole, would get enlighten thus we won't repeat the same mistakes, that we don't wage wars, we don't hurt eachothers, no need for police, jails and lawyers ..etc, all these unessesary costly things which we as enlighten being should be without.

Is it in the genetics to create super savants humans? ..is it there we must begin?

mankind will only progress when we as a living being , Humanity , have confidence in its self and relise that in the end our , Human survival , depends only on us
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 01:46 am
humanity changes all the time, progression is a matter of opinion about ethical ideals.
HexHammer

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 02:35 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

humanity changes all the time, progression is a matter of opinion about ethical ideals.
Seem the changes are minute and progress are insignificant, the majority of people are in status quo. In general I would actually say we have degressed in many ways.

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:40 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

Seem the changes are minute and progress are insignificant, the majority of people are in status quo. In general I would actually say we have degressed in many ways.

Also a matter of ethical ideals
HexHammer

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 09:36 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
Also a matter of ethical ideals
No, these ideas only form a minute basis of man, we have very evolved laws, ethics and morals, yet you see them being broken all the time, as they were never there. It's about how we enforce our thinking.

There's an ancient story about an old man to the greek olympics, he would fumble his way through the stadium to find a seat, no vacant seats and no one would offer him any, but when he arrived to the spartans, all below his age and a few older, would rise and offer him their seat, which caused the rest of the greeks to applaud the spartan's selfless action, where upon the old man utterd "every body knows how to act, but only the spartans act upon it".

Imo the moral is, if nothing is enforced, thus have no consequenses, the majority will do nothing. It takes immense selfdiciplin to do what one should do in the first place.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:30 pm
@HexHammer,
nice story, still does not address the OP
HexHammer

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:11 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

nice story, still does not address the OP
That's where you are wrong, you need to look closer and rationalize.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:01 pm
1 of the dominant features of our stale state of mind, is that most can't admit to failure, that we can't admit that we'r wrong, can't admit to even the minescule errors ..so many foolish things hinder us.

We don't have a powerful rationallity that can alert our selfmotivation to kick our own butt, and stop our folly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:04 pm
Kind of a silly question, when what constitutes progress has not been established.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Kind of a silly question, when what constitutes progress has not been established.
Just look and observe, how many threads are not filled with silly things? The same selfexplanatory things are asked over and over, 99% of all threads and posts are not very deep, nor will make any contribution to anything.

Our ability to combine information to rational conclusions sucks, too often too many people does not understand what conclusion to make of a story, just look at the Punic wars, what conclusion would you make of Marathon battle to Battle of Salamis?
0 Replies