When will modern mankind progress?

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 10:18 pm
For some time I'v been philosophising, yet I see very little progress in the methods which we uses, it's still marked with superstition, compulsive behaviour, stupidity. Only a very minor precentage of us actually progress a tiny bit, but the fools then only have new toys to play with, they don't really get much wiser.

My hope is, that some day mankind as a whole, would get enlighten thus we won't repeat the same mistakes, that we don't wage wars, we don't hurt eachothers, no need for police, jails and lawyers ..etc, all these unessesary costly things which we as enlighten being should be without.

Is it in the genetics to create super savants humans? ..is it there we must begin?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 7,990 • Replies: 121
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:01 am
@HexHammer,
Progress to what?
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:11 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:
For some time I'v been philosophising, yet I see very little progress in the methods which we uses, it's still marked with superstition, compulsive behaviour, stupidity. Only a very minor precentage of us actually progress a tiny bit, but the fools then only have new toys to play with, they don't really get much wiser.

My hope is, that some day mankind as a whole, would get enlighten thus we won't repeat the same mistakes, that we don't wage wars, we don't hurt eachothers, no need for police, jails and lawyers ..etc, all these unessesary costly things which we as enlighten being should be without.

Is it in the genetics to create super savants humans? ..is it there we must begin?

No, I don't see us progressing in the ways you asked.

As I see it, the problem is this: If you want to make people responsible (no need for police), respectful (theft and hurting aren't a problem), ethically responsible (starting wars is seen as self-defeating), etc., people have to have a reason to want to be this way. Respect, thoughtfulness, intelligence and wisdom have to become values that people want.

I think that being the unbelievably-pragmatic creatures we are, these "lofty" attributes are often seen as fluff, unnecessary or even repulsive. Its painfully ironic that these values are necessary for long-term survival and coexistence, yet they're constantly smattered as frivolous. I believe its the inability to see the whole picture - something past our perceived immediate needs and desires - that prevents these from becoming important and being realized for the very maturity we need over the long term.

Something else: A convenient, comfortable and indolent lifestyle does not lead to becoming responsible, strong or respectful. In fact, if either could be said to have an effect, these "values for the long term" come only through hard work, humility or perhaps even some measure of personal suffering. Assuming such is true at all - who's going to stand in line for this kind of punishment?

We've become a culture (western post-modern industrialized) that praises wealth, seeks leisure and drowns ourselves in toys, gadgets and indulgences. Its no wonder we're angry, superficial and short-sighed. What's scary, is that developing nations (some of the most populous) are on the fast track; aspiring to becoming just as lazy, stupid and selfish as we are. Oh boy!

So no. I think its the nature of our species that we'll continue alienating and judging through superstition, destroying our bodies and minds with compulsion and praising stupidity. And all of these "false idols" are sold to us through a 24/7 blitzkrieg of advertising and marketing that keep us purchasing while the true 'saviors' of hard work, respect, self-responsibility and wisdom - which don't sell anything - get tossed aside.

Sorry for the rant - thanks for the post

William

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:37 am
Khethil,
What are you trying to do, justify MORE AND SELFISHNESS? My God, that's what leads to war. Attributions? Try contributions instead.

Hex,
Your condescension is apparent. Please reel in you pointing fingers. Who is any one to say who is STUPID.

William
Khethil

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:56 am
@William,
William wrote:
What are you trying to do, justify MORE AND SELFISHNESS? My God, that's what leads to war. Attributions? Try contributions instead.

No, I just don't see that given the factors involved that there's much hope for overall change. I'd like to see it more positively, but am hard-pressed to find some justification for it.

Thanks
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:30 pm
@HexHammer,
1 - Conflict is not necessarily out of a civilized society...
2 - Conflict is the essence of Darwinism applied to the totality of Reality and far beyond the Biological spectrum of the World...(it started with matter anti-matter competition 14 billion years ago, and went on...)
3- What it should matter is in WHAT TERMS are we to conflict about. and if it is under our control or not !

Best Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:34 pm
@Khethil,
...well...one should think twice before correcting the finger of "God" (NATURE)...
...if it does n´t change, then it must be right !...
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:45 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

1 - Conflict is not necessarily out of a civilized society...
2 - Conflict is the essence of Darwinism applied to the totality of Reality and far beyond the Biological spectrum of the World...(it started with matter anti-matter competition 14 billion years ago, and went on...)
3- What it should matter is in WHAT TERMS are we to conflict about. and if it is under our control or not !
1) ..are you serious? USA alone spend about 1,5 - 1,8 trillion $ on war on terror, it's NOTHING BUT conflicts
2) maybe you should stop reading silly books that only misleads you.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...well...one should think twice before correcting the finger of "God" (NATURE)...
Ah, so you like cancer, aids, parkisons, psycos and skitztos? ..what is wrong with you?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:54 pm
@HexHammer,
Are you always so linear in your reply´s, or did you just had a bad day ?
I think I answered just before exactly what you are asking now...

WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL of our conflicts !!!
(...now the interesting question would be: Is Conflict to be controlled ? )
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Are you always so linear in your reply´s, or did you just had a bad day ?
I think I answered just before exactly what you are asking now...

WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL of our conflicts !!!
(...now the interesting question would be: Is Conflict to be controlled ? )
Usually I make thse "liniar" answers to something very absurd, your former answer and this answer is very absurd and are based on superstition. I hope it is because of a shelterd ignorent life, and not something psycological.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:07 pm
@HexHammer,
When I see your common approach reply´s down the forum to enrage so many I often wonder how true intelligent people would feel around someone like you...I can help but to pity your sorry ass all the way down the food chain...you full of nothing, a case study ! (Find your place in your own tree ! )
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:10 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

When I see your common approach reply´s down the forum to enrage so many I often wonder how true intelligent people would feel around someone like you...I can help but to pity your sorry ass all the way down the food chain...you full of nothing, a case study ! (Find your place in your own tree ! )
Yes, cry me a river crybaby.

But please say something intelligent, if you can.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:14 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

The sheer naivety of your childish brat spoiled remarks is just abyssal !
You seam like certain old ladies complaining in the grocery store...get a life "weirdo" ! (Shun Tzu would do you some good ! )
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

The sheer naivety of your childish brat spoiled remarks is just abyssal !
You seam like certain old ladies complaining in the grocery store...get a life "weirdo" ! (Shun Tzu would do you some good ! )
You'r sad. Tsk.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:42 pm
@HexHammer,
The SAD talk is more to your liking...I don´t complain about the world, nor do I find time to spend in such triviality´s...have a nice day with your munbo jumbo crap talk ! ( As I said Sun Tzu would do you some good...you might loose some "fat" in your hamster brain thinking ! )
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:51 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

The SAD talk is more to your liking...I don´t complain about the world, nor do I find time to spend in such triviality´s...have a nice day with your munbo jumbo crap talk ! ( As I said Sun Tzu would do you some good...you might loose some "fat" in your hamster brain thinking ! )
I'm quite aware of Sun Tzu, excelent teaching, however he was a n00b basher so to speak, and doesn't describe warfare against an equal skilled opponent.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:59 pm
@HexHammer,
I am feed up with Rousseau and the likings Eden Western Utopia, specially here in Latin world...I am more for Niccolò Machiavelli and the others...Le bon Sauvage crap, give me a break !...
Khethil

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Aye I suppose. If one's inclined to believe that's the case.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:05 pm
@Khethil,
Yes...its a matter of Belief. (...the boredom and tedium of certainty is for dead people...) Wink

P.S. ....and that is precisely why I find no fault in the World...Belief is well placed in the priority´s chain of Nature.

...Certainty is the fools Gold !
HexHammer

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:07 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I am feed up with Rousseau and the likings Eden Western Utopia, specially here in Latin world...I am more for Niccolò Machiavelli and the others...Le bon Sauvage crap, give me a break !...
The Prince, oppotunism ..qualmin.
0 Replies