The Earths Magnetic Poles will reverse .

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 12:00 am
Nobody has wsufered through such an eventuality
Several things could occur

Cosmic rays and other particles, and energy will "slip through a nonexistent magnetosphere". We will be :microwaved for several thousand years)

If the reversal is long lasting and the solar flares are energetic, we could lose some atmosphere (nobody really knows how much) . We could also lose some other things (like water), as on MArs

I hope I made your day. Ive just looked at some of the polar Migration data and it seems to have increased in the last 10 years or so.

Any thoughts?

Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:05 am
@farmerman,
The sky is falling...again? **** and I had my car all paid off, too.
roger

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:10 am
Will I need a new compass, or can I just relabel the old one?
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:01 am
@roger,
You cn be just as lost with old or new.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:02 am
@Ragman,
The sky wont be falling, technically. It ill blow off into space.
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:13 am
@farmerman,
OK but tell me...is that a better show on the 7pm news or is it the fire down the street? Hmmmm? Decisions, decisions!
Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:27 am
@farmerman,
How long have we got?
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:28 am
@Ragman,
I feel, that once the reversal gets rolling, itll be 7 oclock news stuff every day.

MILLIONS OF PEOPLE GET SKIN CANCER

ATMOSPHERE WONT SUPPORT LIFE ABOVE 3000FEET

SKY AN UNUSUAL RED COLOR

MILLIONS MORE DIE BY SUFFOCATION

MILLIONS MISSING IN SWITZERLAND AND COLORADO.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:31 am
@Intrepid,
ACCORDING to Several researchers (what a gig they cant lose- Like the "Shipping NEws"

if they are correct-"Planet Threatened by polar reversal"

If they are not--"Planet spared effects of polar Reversal"

Back to your question. They say itll happen anywhere in the next few thousand years and may take anywhere from a thousand to 20000 years to get er done.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:41 am
@farmerman,
Damn. I'm gonna miss it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 10:52 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman this is a common and recurring event in earth history if my memory service me correctly, without googling , with no known correlation with great dies outs.

parados

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:25 am
@BillRM,
You haven't seen the man made face on Mars? That proves there were die outs. Just ask gungasnake.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
We could also lose some other things (like water), as on MArs

We don't have to worry fm.. God will just punish with a worldwide flood that will replenish all the water we lost.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:36 am
@BillRM,
We are not really certain of the mwechanism involved in such reversals. As it turns out , 2 of the big 5 extinction events were also correlated to a polar reversal at the same (geologic) instant. That has led to the theory that polar reversals are associated with deep welling of magma and new vulcanism (These are possibloe events that trigger the poles to wander more quickly than our present speed of 50Km /yr).
Magma upqwelling releases a competing pole and e lose our dipole for a period of time. (It may be that because magma upwelling can break outr on the surface, this apparent association of magama and polar reversals may only be an artifact, not a cause and effect.

So, with 2 of the big 5 extinctions associated with polar reversals (as qwell as incresed vulcanism), the die outs may not really be related anyway.

HOWEVER, sea creatures , like radiolarians ARE very susceptibloe to polar changes and, instead of dying out, they merely evolve into a form that reflcts the change of the poles. (Most radiolarians have thee tint shells with unique twists and patterns)

We use radiolarians as key indicators for oil exploration
dyslexia

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:47 am
will this impact my Dish network, if it ain't one damn thing, it's another.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If the reversal is long lasting and the solar flares are energetic, we could lose some atmosphere (nobody really knows how much) . We could also lose some other things (like water), as on MArs

It is once more my understanding that such a change is over in only a few thousands years so I can not see any great lost of atmosphere in that time frame let alone our water.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:39 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Farmerman this is a common and recurring event in earth history if my memory service me correctly,

Bill's older than dirt.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
One often overlooked benefit of magnetic pole reversal is that it spontaneously corrects all detrimental affects of global warming resulting in people living happily ever after. Nobody knows why this happens.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:35 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Farmerman this is a common and recurring event in earth history if my memory service me correctly, without googling , with no known correlation with great dies outs.

Party pooper Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 03:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
They say itll happen anywhere in the next few thousand years and may take anywhere from a thousand to 20000 years to get er done.

okay, so I shouldn't liquidate all my assets just yet. Laughing