The Earths Magnetic Poles will reverse .

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:07 pm
@Reyn,
One word, MAGMA
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:09 pm
okay, let's get to the really important stuff, how will this affect the earths stripper poles
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:15 pm
@djjd62,
hahaha
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:06 pm
I deduced in the 80's, while being bored selling menswear, that magnetic fields are probably due to differential between the spinning of a planets crust against it's core. Core spinning slower, poles one way, core spinning faster, poles the other way. Simple dynamo stuff going on.

Apparently, scientists now think I might be more or less right.
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:19 pm
@Eorl,
yep, but their conclusion is based more upon evidence and modelling
Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:27 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

How do you know Eorl isn't a model?
Eorl

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:37 pm
@Intrepid,
I'm... too sexy for this thread.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Great scientists rate the importance of imagination, ordinary scientists seem to find it offensive. Razz
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:50 am
@Eorl,
Im sory you were possibly offended. I meant no slight re: your own theroy. Its just that the concpt is a bit more complicated. There were always a series of popular "dynamo" explanations re the dipole. In fact. very few people had any disparate theories. (Maybe the flat earthists and Creationists who pose a theory that the decay in the magnetic field dipole and intensity "proves" that the earth is less than 10000years old).

The actual seismic data that more accurately interpreted mantle/core viscosity differences came up with a rather detailed (and boring) theory.
Eorl

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:37 am
@farmerman,
Gads no FM! Not offended in the slightest. Just being a cheeky bastard. Hence the tongue poke.

And besides, that kind of pseudo-scientific laymans dumbassedness deserves a good smack in any serious scientific debate.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:38 am
Dys, my darling, you need to be positive about all this. We will be able to get out of that darn Dish network contract without paying them $400 +.

While all this polar confusion is happening, Dish will go crazy and get all tangled up in a ball of string theory and we can switch back to Comcast, getting our less irritating, fewer blackouts, service.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:16 pm
@Diane,
sat tv really sucks around here. Every time we get rain, KABOOM, it pixellates out just at the denoument. I have a dish n box in the studio but I use a digital antenna and it works fine. CABLE RULES~~!!
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:24 pm
@farmerman,
ANYWAY, back to the topic I started here. I dont think that were all that stirred up enough to write to Washington on this issue. Dont blame me when all your personal atmosphere disappears and all your gadgets quit. Ill be suckin on my bottles of atmosphere that Ive been collecting with my Cobalt airpump, and livin like an AMishman till the poles level off.
roger

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:24 pm
@farmerman,
There ya go. Write your congressman. What the country needs is a good federal subsidy on home magnet installations.

Eorl

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:47 am
@roger,
As attractive as it seems, it could be a polarizing issue, especially in the north. And the south.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:38 pm
So this is the ad that comes up for me at the bottom of page 2 of this thread:
 http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=COCN6O-07YC8mwEQ2AUYTzII_mEjQrsy7xI
This would be right up your alley, farmer--haven't you always wanted to be a science teacher online? Teach in your bathrobe, who'll know. I wonder who the "Western Governors" are--the Governator must be one of them.

More importantly, farmer, with all the retirement projects you've got going, have you started writing the movie script yet, the disaster movie to end all disaster movies, Hollywoood will be salivating at your door.
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
I have a buddy who is teaching Bible archeology studies to the novitiates on line and he frequently does it in his tighty whities. His wife took a picture of him and had it blowed up and she put it on their fridge as a way to discourage him from porking up with snacks while hes on the air with the priests.

I am gonna follow up on this.

I had a better story line. This evening before we came back to the hotel, we went shopping in NYC and wound up at a big department store with all kinds of nifty ****. I went one way and my wife ent another and I couldnt find her for about 20 minutes after I was done. She had apparently gone back to the hotel and I was freaking . I thought shed been abducted and /or/ some warp in the fabric of spacetime was right there in the computer dept. I walked arou nd describing her and people were pretty dismissive. I cooked all kinds of eventualities (all of em ended reaaallll bad). Then she called me on my cell and told me she had some deli food waiting.

GOddaamm was that a start!!.

Call Spielberg. "The Crack in Time is in Home Furnishings"
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 10:36 pm
Long tracking shot of Farmerman's back, walking down the long long aisle to the revolving door and out into the rain-soaked night, mist in the air making the streetlights look like twinkling stars, Farmer walks off down the street.
Cut to Rod Serling, standing in the TV department, in front of a wall of TVs, all showing his face:

Serling: The farmer turned left, when he should have turned right, and took a short, inadvertent stroll through.....The Twilight Zone.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 04:20 am
@MontereyJack,
I was there alright. Unfortunately I am disposed, by my Russian heritage to invent all kinds of eventualities, None of which have a pleasant outcome. I should learn to lighten up.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
Pole shifts has occured plenty of times through prehistoric time, nothing new.