The Earths Magnetic Poles will reverse .

High Seas

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 08:58 am
@farmerman,
Thank you - you've saved me a lot of trouble by changing the current world risk distribution to Cauchy. That solves one problem I had Smile
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 02:45 pm
@farmerman,
I love it when people talk science. Very little understanding comes my way, but I love the sounds of the words and the brilliant minds that make much of this science work.

The two words I love best are "agonic free." I do my best to stay agonic free, even going to extremes since I am a wuss and hate agonic.

Good thing Bernie named me "The Nun Gone Bad," or else somebody might have decided that "Our Lady of Perpetual Agony" might fit.

Amen
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 04:40 pm
@Diane,
HEEEY, wait a minit. You give me crap for a stinkin little word but let High Seaa just waltz right by with an entire set of new eqautions that we have not even introduced this semester.
roger

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 04:52 pm
@farmerman,
Crap!? Sounded like admiration to me.
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
@roger,
ever drink any of that new hard cider made by Woodchuck?
Its good.

(im becoming my own troll)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 04:38 am
@roger,
'twas.
High Seas

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 06:13 am
@Diane,
He knows that, Diane - he's just trying to switch attention to my equations because he's a reserved kind of guy and gets easily embarassed. If you're posting here because you worry about the Yellowstone super-volcano erupting any time soon, calm down - it last did about 600,000 years ago, and may well go another twenty or thirty thousand years without bothering anybody (that's what the little mathematical joke on the Cauchy distribution was about). Have a good day Smile
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 06:55 am
@High Seas,
Ive now become a devout Creationist all because of this.

Scuse me while I get shaved and all gussied up for church. Reverend Bob likes his flock there on time, otherwise we get called up fron to testify.

High Seas

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 01:10 pm
@farmerman,
Just had this horrible suspicion our magnetic poles may be a function of whatever the big light in the sky is doing; is that true?
http://www.astroengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/livingston-penn_sunspots2.pdf
Quote:
....there is a relationship within individual sunspots between the magnetic field strength and the plasma temperature, following from the pressure balance required to maintain a sunspot structure..... sunspot brightness is tied to the Sun’s internal toroidal field. ..... the temporal changes observed in our data hold important clues to the mechanisms at work in the solar magnetic dynamo.

The above is only a mathematical projection for 0 sunspots by 2015, but the NOAA also keeps revising expected number of sunspots downwards:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/
0 Replies