Critical thinking and political matters.

Jebediah

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:09 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

This is where you went wrong...we have a different standard of reasonable for people who lost a loved one, for obvious reasons

OK.. so what is that standard? How is it applied equally?

Would you like me to define the precise amount of leeway we give them? I mean, just imagine how you would treat someone who had lost a loved one differently in that situation. I don't know what you mean by "equally".

Quote:
Quote:
all that was required was a different sight (heck, the one next door might have done)
You are aware that the site is 2 blocks from the WTC, aren't you?

Yes, haven't I quoted the wiki article? I assume this is a rhetorical question, but unfortunately that means I have to play a guessing game. Do you see the point that the objection is to latching on to 9/11 in a promotional kind of way? That is why the other building was objected to as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Do you, like cyclo, not think a garbage dump on the site would be wrong?

Strawman since the mosque is NOT on the WTC site. Strawman since a garbage dump would not pass code anywhere in Manhattan.

What is the strawman here parados? The garbage dump is an example to suggest that respecting the families of the dead is indeed important. Since you don't respond like cyclo I assume you wouldn't want a garbage dump there--in other words you do believe in respecting the families of the dead.

Quote:
Quote:
I remember Michael Moore got in some hot water for including a clip of an amputated soldier in his anti-war documentery, the soldier in question was quite upset that his loss was being exploited to support moore's argument--when the soldier in question disagreed with it quite strongly.

The objection to the cordoba house is similar, but has differences, the example is included because I'm not sure you know what I'm talking about.
And whose image is being used without permission in the case of Cordoba house. People have a right to their image and when it is used to promote something they disagree with they have a legal recourse. Your example is nothing but a red herring.

The example was in case you missed my point as I said, so the objection that it is a red herring is strange. Also I don't understand the first two sentences, whose image and what people are you talking about?

Quote:
Building buildings in the area is NOT an affront to those that died. We know that because they are currently constructing a building on the WTC grounds. That shows it is not an issue of building in the area, do you agree? This has nothing to do with the site being a grave yard. We don't build buildings on grave yards, do we?

Why do you think you have to ask if I agree that simple buildings are not objectionable? Buildings aren't objectionable, mosques aren't objectionable, islamic community centers aren't objectionable.

Quote:
Quote:

An appeal to the emotions of the families of the dead is quite relevant.
No, it's a logical fallacy.

parados. When something is wrong precisely because of its emotional impact, it is not fallacious to argue on those terms. If we as people didn't actually care about the dead or where they died, then it clearly wouldn't be wrong.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:11 pm
@parados,
I enjoy reading along on your posts. You are making some good observations.

I have to keep reminding myself that the thread is call Critical thinking and political matters.

The critical thinking part is not readily observable, in some instances.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:13 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

Jebediah wrote:

I'm not sure how it would be a balm. The extreme forms of islam having nothing whatsoever to do with the site. It wasn't islam that brought down the towers, so a mosque can't heal anything.

What's on my mind is that those who dropped the towers would have said they did it in the name of Allah. It does my heart good anytime monotheists object to being defined by the more flamboyantly hateful of their kind.

But you see... this is my viewpoint. I don't live in New York. It seems like some weight ought to be placed on their viewpoint. Community ordinances governing property development are pretty standard, right?

Hi Ossobucco! I mean no harm by posting on this thread. I just know Jebediah and Kennethamy. You know how it is posting to people you know.

I've found that a2kers tend to hop over my posts like I'm invisible. I'm thinking it's either because I'm boring or because they don't know me. Or both.

I've found that a2kers tend to hop over my posts like I'm invisible. I'm thinking it's either because I'm boring or because they don't know me. Or both.

But you see... this is my viewpoint

Of course it is. And it is the view point of many people in New York that the site should not be built. Everything we say (unless we are being insincere, of course) expresses out view point. If I say water is H20, that also expresses my view point. The interesting question is whether what expresses my view point only expresses my viewpoint and nothing more, or whether I can support my viewpoint with arguments? Whether I can give reasons for thinking that my viewpoint is the correct viewpoint. And, again, something different, but also important, does what I say express only my view point, or does it also express the viewpoints of others? And who?

It seems to me that merely to say that what I say expresses my view point is not interesting, since is provides no information that was not known before. It is a way of saying, "Don't take what I say very seriously, it is only poor little me saying it, and I have no good reason for saying it, and I don't think, nor do I even expect, that others will agree with me".
parados

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:18 pm
@Jebediah,
Quote:
Would you like me to define the precise amount of leeway we give them? I mean, just imagine how you would treat someone who had lost a loved one differently in that situation. I don't know what you mean by "equally".

You said you have a standard
Quote:
we have a different standard of reasonable for people who lost a loved one

So, what is that standard? Either you have one or you don't. If you don't, then why did you claim you did?

Once you tell us what the standard is then I want to know how you apply it equally in all situations.

Quote:

The example was in case you missed my point as I said, so the objection that it is a red herring is strange. Also I don't understand the first two sentences, whose image and what people are you talking about?
It's a red herring because of the example you provided which has nothing to do with this issue. Read your example. The person complained that his image was used. That is the issue in the example.

Quote:
Why do you think you have to ask if I agree that simple buildings are not objectionable? Buildings aren't objectionable, mosques aren't objectionable, islamic community centers aren't objectionable.
So then what is the objection?
parados

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:23 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:

Of course it is. And it is the view point of many people in New York that the site should not be built.

Yes, but in a thread on critical thinking, shouldn't we explore WHY they have that viewpoint?

Arjuna,
I'm not ignoring you. I think your questions deserve answers but we aren't getting any.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:44 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

This building seems similar in some ways, though less blatant.

What does a mosque have to do with genocide?

Please explain why a mosque and community center is similar to an exhibit about genocide. There is no real comparison that I can see.

The IFC was going to be built on land owned by the Port Authority and controlled by the states of NY and NJ at the WTC site
Explain why building ON the WTC site is the same thing as building on public land 2 blocks away.

With the IFC there were "plans to promote international freedom through exhibits and displays about various genocides and crimes against humanity through history, including genocide of Native American genocide and the slave trade in the United States, were inappropriate at a site that many people consider to be sacred."

A nice enough cause, with some politically charged examples. But, it is not about 9/11, and their desire to build it there (and nowhere else: "We do not believe there is a viable alternative place for the I.F.C. at the World Trade Center site,"said the statement from the center's executives, Tom Bernstein, Peter Kunhardt and Richard Tofel. "We consider our work, therefore, to have been brought to an end.") was exploitative. "Here's this big tragedy, let me latch on to it".

The comparison then, is not about proximity, or public land, or mosque vs museum.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure how it would be a balm. The extreme forms of islam having nothing whatsoever to do with the site. It wasn't islam that brought down the towers, so a mosque can't heal anything.
If the mosque can't heal anything then perhaps you can explain why it would hurt anything. I see no evidence it will cause problems. Perhaps you can provide some evidence other than an appeal to emotion.

Disrespecting the dead is morally wrong.
parados wrote:

Quote:
Mainly the site choice and public statements

Ok.
What is wrong with the site choice?
Be specific and factual.
So far you have compared publicly held land to private land.
You have complained about building near the site but haven't offered any complaint about building ON the site.

What public statements?
You have provided only 2 that contradict each other from survivors.

Public vs private is not relevant. Neither is building. The relatives statements aren't what we're talking about either--it is the building owners, project headquarters:

Quote:
The specific location of the planned mosque, so close to the World Trade Center “where a piece of the wreckage fell,” was a primary selling point for the Muslims who bought the building.[28] Abdul Rauf said it “sends the opposite statement to what happened on 9/11.” and “We want to push back against the extremists”.[28]

Quote:
El-Gamal said he wanted the building to be energy-efficient and transparent, most likely with a glass façade.[18] He said: “It’s really to provide a place of peace, a place of services and solutions for the community which is always looking for interfaith dialogue".[19] He envisions it as "a place where I could show off my hospitality, my culture, my background"

You understand that the current use of the building as a mosque is unobjectionable? People are objecting to the new building.

It is planned as a place to show the world true islam, to show that the real islam is not extremist--to teach new yorkers that the real islam is not extremist. But, just like the genocide museum, it is not suitable to connect that to 9/11 . That is saying "yeah, yeah, your brother died here, but come listen to my message about how you shouldn't lump all muslims in with the terrorists".

Jebediah

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:01 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

You said you have a standard
Quote:
we have a different standard of reasonable for people who lost a loved one

So, what is that standard? Either you have one or you don't. If you don't, then why did you claim you did?

Once you tell us what the standard is then I want to know how you apply it equally in all situations.

Maybe we're on different wavelengths here. When people I know are having a bad day, I give them more leeway when they get tetchy, because I know I get tetchy sometimes when I've had a bad day. Do you understand that? I have a different standard for how I treat them. What is that standard? It has just been explained. Do I apply it equally in all situations? What a strange way to run my social life that would be. Would all situations be situations where they haven't had a bad day? Then clearly not...and clearly it depends on how bad a day they've had.

I'm sorry for going for an example , but I'm not sure if you've had anyone die or if you know people who have lost a relative. But, you less critical of their reasoning when the subject is sensitive like that. Now, the stuff about "embracing the shariah law that the terrorist point to" is not very reasonable. If there were no relatives of the deceased involved, (say, if a mosque was being built in wichita) that would be an unreasonable request. But here it isn't.

Explaining the obvious is exhausting, I hope you were actually curious. This is all tangential because there is a reasonable objection that requires no leeway, however that doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.

Quote:
Quote:

It's a red herring because of the example you provided which has nothing to do with this issue. Read your example. The person complained that his image was used. That is the issue in the example.

That's not what a red herring is. A red herring is intended to distract from the main issue. Since the quote was intended to explain, it is not a red herring. If it is a bad explanation, it is a bad explanation.

The soldiers loss was being exploited by someone else to make a point. The loss of the 9/11 families is being exploited (less directly) by someone else to make a point. How does it "have nothing to do with the issue"?
Quote:
Quote:
So then what is the objection?

The objection has been stated.
Jebediah

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:03 pm
Can one of the a2k regulars tell me if I'm getting trolled? I don't want to waste my time explaining basic stuff if I'm just having the piss taken out of me.
parados

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:04 pm
@Jebediah,
Quote:
The comparison then, is not about proximity, or public land, or mosque vs museum.

OK? So why don't you lay out the comparison in simple terms? Only telling us about the IFC doesn't create a comparison at all. You have to tell us WHY it is similar to the mosque.

Quote:
Disrespecting the dead is morally wrong.
OK. Then you have to tell us WHY building the mosque disrespects the dead.

Quote:
It is planned as a place to show the world true islam, to show that the real islam is not extremist--to teach new yorkers that the real islam is not extremist
OK.. so you object to this? Why?

Quote:
That is saying "yeah, yeah, your brother died here, but come listen to my message about how you shouldn't lump all muslims in with the terrorists".
Who says it? How do they say it? Who is hearing that message? Why are they hearing it? No one is forced to go to the building. It isn't on the way to the WTC site from the most common ways to get there. Who would even know the mosque was there if you weren't making up this message and promoting it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:13 pm
@Jebediah,
I'm a regular and I don't think so. Adds, I speak neutrally here.

If you think Parados is trolling, that is extremely unlikely. Sort of like the last person on earth to do that.
parados

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:14 pm
@Jebediah,
Quote:

Explaining the obvious is exhausting, I hope you were actually curious. This is all tangential because there is a reasonable objection that requires no leeway, however that doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.

Except you haven't explained anything. You have just given excuses for why you can't explain it.

Quote:

I'm sorry for going for an example , but I'm not sure if you've had anyone die or if you know people who have lost a relative.
Going for the sympathy vote there Jeb? We all know people that have died. It doesn't mean I stop being able to think. Yes, emotions are raw but there comes a point when people have to get over it and move on with their lives or they will have no life.

Quote:
The loss of the 9/11 families is being exploited (less directly) by someone else to make a point. How does it "have nothing to do with the issue"?
Yes, it is being exploited by those that don't want the mosque. This cuts both ways Jeb. You can't accuse one side of exploitation when the other side is much more egregious in it's exploitation.

I would have to say it is you that is trying to exploit those lost by giving them some mythical status that we all have to give in to or we are disrespecting the dead. It's nothing but BS Jeb. Either you set a standard or you don't. If you don't then you are not using critical thinking, you are just pushing emotional buttons and exploiting 9/11 to try to win a point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:14 pm
@ossobuco,
He is a tad adamant.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:19 pm
@Jebediah,
If I knew, I would tell you, Jebediah. The ones I consider trolls are on ignore. He isn't. Still, if you take a position in favor of firearm ownership, he will try to apply the same position to nuclear weapons and demand you explain the difference in principle. It's up to you to decide whether or not you are going to take the bait.

Arjuna

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:28 pm
So we all agree that exploitation of grief related to 9/11 is wrong.

Using the site to make any biased statement is exploitation? Or could there be a statement intended to further some agenda that isn't exploitive? Like what?

So property rights and issues of religious discrimination aren't really on the table?
http://www.justice.gov/crt/religiousdiscrimination/religionpamp.php
parados

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:34 pm
@Arjuna,
Quote:

Of course, that would require that we all agree on what exploitation is.

I would bet that Jeb and Ken would deny they are exploiting anything but their arguments don't appear to be much more than an emotional appeal based on what happened that day.
parados

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:51 pm
@Jebediah,
Quote:

Maybe we're on different wavelengths here. When people I know are having a bad day, I give them more leeway when they get tetchy, because I know I get tetchy sometimes when I've had a bad day. Do you understand that? I have a different standard for how I treat them.

But let's expound on this a little bit Jeb.

I understand part of what you are saying there but you haven't set any limits.

I give people that have lost a loved one more leeway as well. Yes, they can act out and I will let them and I will forgive them that. But I have a standard they can't cross without me putting a stop to it. They don't get to physically attack other people. They don't get to put themselves and others in danger. They don't get to interfere with the rights of others. They don't get to blame people that weren't involved for the death of their loved ones.

Yes, people that are grieving can be unreasonable and during the process, they are allowed to up to a certain point. But there comes a time when they have to stop and become human beings again and take responsibility for themselves and their emotions and actions. It has been 9 years Jeb. I will not allow them to use their grief as an excuse to act badly. I don't see why you allow it which is why I want to know what your standard is.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:54 pm
@parados,
parados, Well stated.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:55 pm
@Jebediah,
No, you are not being trolled. You are just not providing enough of an arguement other than an emotional one pertaining to relatives of those killed on September 11, 2001. I really do not like the term 9/11, but that is another matter.

Your reasoning that people in New York have loved ones that died and that they wouldn't have the same objection in Witchita is not valid. Some of those killed may, in fact, have relatives in Witchita. I know some had relatives here in Canada. I know that several of those killed and their relatives are Muslim.

The reason you have to keep explaining to Parados is that your objections really do not stand up. I can see where you are coming from and I can see where Parados is coming from.

I am sorry, but you are using more emotion than critical thinking in this matter compared to Parados. That doesn't necessarily make you wrong but neither does it make him wrong.

You think there is a hidden agenda. He does not. At least that is how I am reading it.
Arjuna

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 10:03 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

Of course, that would require that we all agree on what exploitation is.

I would bet that Jeb and Ken would deny they are exploiting anything but their arguments don't appear to be much more than an emotional appeal based on what happened that day.
If the perpetrators of 9/11 had been Mormons, would we cry out at the construction of a Mormon tabernacle near the site?

Would the Mormons be accused of exploitation?

Why would the Mormons have their hearts set on rebuilding on that particular patch of NY which might be under water in 300 years anyway?

Humans are crazy, huh?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 10:05 pm
@Arjuna,
You start with a wrong premise, then expand that into virtual imagination.

Where did you dig up the idea about Mormons flying airplanes into any building to kill people?