Critical thinking and political matters.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:07 am
@Razzleg,
oooooh mysterious, intriguing.

Razzleg

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:09 am
@GoshisDead,
man, i'd avoid cluttering a thread with this by PM if i could, but...hahaha [more emoticons than you can possibly imagine]
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:18 am
@Razzleg,
as you pointed out the, OP was disingenuous in its argument. The interesting things in this thread are on the periphery. Such as the nature of the appeal to emotion itself and people who deliberately shroud themselves in mystery.

I'm not rightly sure that there is a purely unemotional argument. Although its not an appeal to emotion per-se any axiom is by definition accepted without proof and deemed self evident. It is my opinion that a person will build their hypotheses and arguments from the emotion generated by their attachment to an ideal regarding that axiom or accept an axiom based on their emotional attachment to an ideal. Thus all arguments are arguments from emotion.
Razzleg

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:57 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

as you pointed out the, OP was disingenuous in its argument. The interesting things in this thread are on the periphery. Such as the nature of the appeal to emotion itself and people who deliberately shroud themselves in mystery.

I'm not rightly sure that there is a purely unemotional argument. Although its not an appeal to emotion per-se any axiom is by definition accepted without proof and deemed self evident. It is my opinion that a person will build their hypotheses and arguments from the emotion generated by their attachment to an ideal regarding that axiom or accept an axiom based on their emotional attachment to an ideal. Thus all arguments are arguments from emotion.

As i said in my post, i've been avoiding posting. i also have to admit that i have avoided wading/reading through a great deal of the posts in this thread, so i feel that i am in a poor position to comment on the emotional content of many of the other contributions, peripheral or not.

However, i tend to agree with the general position you seem to be arguing for. Any and all arguments seem to take account of emotions as well as facts, and for any "position" to seem relevant it needs to resonate emotionally as well as, if not more than, "rationally". To pretend that an argument does not also take account of emotional motives seems highly disingenuous to me. There are only emotional "motives", the incentive to a particular argument, rationality alone demands no communication.

I am reminded of a quote by Walter Benjamin, the textual source of which i am too lazy to research at the moment. His primary aim seems to be to combat the Neo-Kantian distinction/contradiction between feeling and reality. My paraphrase of the quote is this: Far from emotion being the contrary of, or a barrier to, objectivity; great passion is required to achieve objectivity.

I suppose what I mean by employing that poorly remembered passage is this: I don't expect reason to exclude emotion, but to include and use emotion to its greatest benefit. Feelings might easily be used to splinter popular opinion, but properly channeled it is an incentive and enhancement of rational thought. I'm sure that the above statement could be taken apart semantically, but i'll just hope that those who are willing to understand it do so. (i feel zero urge to defend my POV lately.)

I don't know if what i've said above has any relevance to your own position, nor do i seek to compromise your position in the forgoing discussion. Good luck.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:51 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

as you pointed out the, OP was disingenuous in its argument.

How about rather than "pointing it out", justifying the accusation of disingenuity? First things first.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:54 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

As i said in my post, i've been avoiding posting. i also have to admit that i have avoided wading/reading through a great deal of the posts in this thread, so i feel that i am in a poor position to comment on the emotional content of many of the other contributions, peripheral or not.

However, i tend to agree with the general position you seem to be arguing for. Any and all arguments seem to take account of emotions as well as facts, and for any "position" to seem relevant it needs to resonate emotionally as well as, if not more than, "rationally". To pretend that an argument does not also take account of emotional motives seems highly disingenuous to me. There are only emotional "motives", the incentive to a particular argument, rationality alone demands no communication.

I am reminded of a quote by Walter Benjamin, the textual source of which i am too lazy to research at the moment. His primary aim seems to be to combat the Neo-Kantian distinction/contradiction between feeling and reality. My paraphrase of the quote is this: Far from emotion being the contrary of, or a barrier to, objectivity; great passion is required to achieve objectivity.

I suppose what I mean by employing that poorly remembered passage is this: I don't expect reason to exclude emotion, but to include and use emotion to its greatest benefit. Feelings might easily be used to splinter popular opinion, but properly channeled it is an incentive and enhancement of rational thought. I'm sure that the above statement could be taken apart semantically, but i'll just hope that those who are willing to understand it do so. (i feel zero urge to defend my POV lately.)

I don't know if what i've said above has any relevance to your own position, nor do i seek to compromise your position in the forgoing discussion. Good luck.

And what about you justifying the accusation of disingenuity after you have "pointed it out"? You cannot "point out" what is not true. So you have to establish that I was disingenuous before you can "point it out". Go.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

And what about you justifying the accusation of disingenuity after you have "pointed it out"? You cannot "point out" what is not true. So you have to establish that I was disingenuous before you can "point it out". Go.

You are denying the obvious?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:02 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

A "red herring" is, of course, an attempt (intentional or not) to divert discussion from the real issue to an issue that appears to be the issue at hand, but is not. A shining example of that is President Obama's recent speech which supported building a mosque by a group of Muslims very near the site of the 9/11 attack which murdered so many people. President Obama argued that just as any members of a religion have the right to build a religious structure at the site, so do Muslims.

But that argument is a red herring, for no one is disputing the legal or constitutional right of Muslim (or any other group) to build whatever they please to build at that, or any other site. What is being disputed is whether it is right for them to do so. Whether they ought to build such a structure so near that particular site. And whether or not they have the legal or constitutional right to do so is clearly irrelevant. There is an important distinction between having the right to do something and its being right to do that something which President Obama's speech ignores, and it is just that distinction that lies at the heart of the dispute.

Now, for another illustration of critical thinking consider the following argument:

Either President Obama realizes that his argument is irrelevant and so, is a red herring, or he does not. If he does, President Obama is being disingenuous. If he doesn't, the President is confused. So, either the President is disingenuous, or he is confused.

The above is an illustration of what logicians call "constructive dilemma".
(emphasis mine)

Aside from the "intentionality" of "red herrings", there may be some sort of dilemma in the above post. But, of course, it isn't President Obama's, nor is it particularly constructive. The red herring belongs to the OP. Originally, i did not plan on responding to this post, in part because it was so obviously an appeal to emotion while pretending to be a logical argument (the hypocrisy of which i find offensive), and also because i expected that the entire thread would soon be awash in just the sort of emotional responses that the OP concealed, expected and desired to incite. Nonetheless, after this many responses, i feel compelled to post my own poor contribution. After implying that the President of these United States is either stupid or a liar, i can't imagine that the OP is so confused or disingenuous as to expect politically neutral results.

i am not interested in either enhancing the confusion that the OP had an obvious, unspoken interest in fermenting, nor do i feel like feeding the delusions of certain participants that feel that the OP has a point by my response. The misguided often require human responses (including contrary ones) to validate their illusions, since absurd reality also often fails to yield to them (their delusions).

To the point, President Obama's remarks seem less like a misguided attempt at logical argument, less like support for a liberal agenda, than it is an attempt to refer "moral" opponents of the mosque to the US Constitution that makes their "moral" objections legally irrelevant. President Obama's speech is not meant to represent moral support; it is meant to show the constitutional allowance that cannot prevent (without being inconsistent) the building of the mosque. The reading of this stated position as endorsement is a "red herring" by President Obama's right-wing opponents. Rather, it is a legal reminder to the opponents of the mosque that they cannot rely on legal (or national/ historical precedent) crutches to support their lame position (ie their incapacity to distinguish between a legal right and a [Christian] "moral" imperative.)

...Anyway, the implication of the OP is that the current democratically elected President is insensitive to the 9/11 terrorist victims (and is therefore unworthy of the Presidency?). This is in no obvious way true. It represents the OP's own political bias (however valid), without even remotely sufficient logical basis.

Something to think about.

"Constructive dilemma" is a technical term in logic. It designates a particular kind of logical form. It is contrasted with "destructive dilemma" a different logical form.

No where in this post have you any arguments that show that there is any problem with what I wrote. What you actually do is simply suggest in a general and vague way that I am wrong. How about backing up this judgment with an argument or two? And that might lead to a rational discussion where you can be taken seriously. Try it, you might like it even if it might take time for you to become accustomed to the notion that arguments are needed to support accusations, and even if you have first to learn what an argument is in the first place.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:28 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

Fido wrote:

To be a real nation we must have consensus, unity across the board... The parties rule by division, like the Caesars: Divide and conquer... And in doing so, in dividing us to have their power, they send an engraved invitation to the world to attack us at will...

There is no reason to equate consensus with unity...unity does not require consensus. The problem with the two party system is not that the two parties are divisive, but that they are polarizing. The problem isn't that there are too many options, but that there are too few. Only when our many differences are extolled will we realize that most of those differences are superficial. Only when we accept our differences will we realize how much we have in common.

Unity does require consensus... Even if we keep with some sort of majority rule the minority must consent to go along and because of the left right pull we are becoming more and more polarized and unwilling to go along, so unity is myth... If you want unity everyone has got to get some good out of government... The rich have got to convince the poor of the goodness of their economy, which they do not now do, and the poor have got to convince the rich of the justice of their demands for jobs, fair wages, and dignity, which they cannot do now because even if they are correct, the rich do not have to listen since all they need is a majority, and a slight one at that... Look at your wars in Iraq, and even in Vietnam... Johnson knew that the military had to give victory and quickly because the people are impatient...And they are impatient because they know better and war demands sacrifices they have already made..

When bush rode over the top of the existing democracy to have his war, and when there was sizable resistence among educated people, and people of every sort to war before the first shot, what happens when war demands total effort, as it does ineviitably for some??? What about the few who must give all when only half the country is behind his efforts??? No one knows where ware will end up, and after it is started is the wrong time to ask for unity.

Unity is impossible without consensus, and it is also impossible without rights... People have to know going into negotiations, that their basic rights to do what they wish so long as they injure no one will be accepted and protected by all... The continual demands for rights and constant attack on rights is no sign of unity... We are a house divided, and while the parties often agree, they have divided us for the opportunity to agree... In the SAFE districts, it is republicans who have to fear primary defeat from republicans even more radical and intransigent, and the minorty can only stand by and watch as though being led by the nose... Is the injustice of it lost on them??? And is there any reason to believe the victim will support the victor in his injustice??? Because consensus was not required to run this country, more and more people have been pushed to the cliff and many have been driven over... We want to believe there can be no form of government better, and there will not be if we cannot make it ourselves... Consensus was the strength of the Iroquois confederacy, and it could be our strength... There cannot be unity until all have a say and agreement in the affairs that effect their lives...

We want to stand united as we can do against a common enemy...The Muslims have never been our common enemy and are not now... Instead of blaming the whole people for the actions of a few radicals, we should have torn down the government for their failures to prevent what was a forwarned and once attempted attack on the trade towers... There were a lot of people high, and up to the very top who failed this country, and instead of taking their power we gave them more; but we cannot give them unity when they have given us division... This country has to work for all people... It has to keep the promises made in the constitution if it will succeed... The ends for which this government was formed are wise, honorable, and worthy of a great people... The means of the government were not designed to reach the stated goals, but to deny those goals forever to portions of the population... We have the country given to us by the constitution, good and bad... Since it cannot be changed, reformed short of its destruction that destruction is fore seen.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
President Obama argued that just as any members of a religion have the right to build a religious structure at the site, so do Muslims.

But that argument is a red herring, for no one is disputing the legal or constitutional right of Muslim (or any other group) to build whatever they please to build at that, or any other site. What is being disputed is whether it is right for them to do so.

This is how you frame the issue. Others, including me, frame it as a case of religious discrimination and bigotry by the likes of Pat Robertson. And once you frame it in those terms, it becomes irrelevant whether the opponents try to impose their bigotry through legal pressure or through bullying in the media.

I disagree Obama's argument was a red herring, and submit that it was a perfectly valid argument. His only "sin" is that he framed the issue in different terms than you did.
Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:18 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
It is my understanding that President Obama took no position whatsoever on the "wisdom" of building a cultural center near "ground zero."

That's what I heard him say on CNN as well.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:18 am
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
The arguments about constitutional rights are arguments not based on the constition interpreted as law, they are based on the average ideologicaland emotional connection the public has about the constitution.

No. The constitution would allow for the building of the mosque. That isn't subjective or emotional in any way and is clearly based on the Constitution interpreted as law. Unless you can show an instance where the constitution doesn't allow the building of religious building because it might offend someone there is no basis for your statement.

Quote:
You may be upset about the mosque but you are likely ideologically incapable of calling the 1st amendment unjust and the mosque should be covered by the 1st amendment so your emotions against the mosque are unfounded.

There is no "should be covered". There is only "is covered."
parados

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:24 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
I think you mean restricting the exercise of those rights not the rights themselves

They are the same thing.
If I restrict your right to vote is it not the same thing as preventing you from voting?
If you vote, I haven't restricted your right because you exercised it.

Give me one example of restricting someone's right to do something while they were still able to do it.
parados

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:35 am
@GoshisDead,
Quote:

If this were true then no one would ever change their mind in a discussion.

I will agree, people often select facts to support their emotional bias but a reduced emotional attachment will allow them to accept presented facts that undermine their position and allow them to accept the opposite of their original position.
parados

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:38 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:

But kennie, several people have already pointed out the flaws in your argument. You just refuse to accept them as flaws. Razz could point out the same things that have been pointed out before and you would still deny them while anyone else would recognize them as being reasonably true.
0 Replies

Ahab

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:47 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
President Obama argued that just as any members of a religion have the right to build a religious structure at the site, so do Muslims.

But that argument is a red herring, for no one is disputing the legal or constitutional right of Muslim (or any other group) to build whatever they please to build at that, or any other site. What is being disputed is whether it is right for them to do so.

This is how you frame the issue. Others, including me, frame it as a case of religious discrimination and bigotry by the likes of Pat Robertson. And once you frame it in those terms, it becomes irrelevant whether the opponents try to impose their bigotry through legal pressure or through bullying in the media.

I disagree Obama's argument was a red herring, and submit that it was a perfectly valid argument. His only "sin" is that he framed the issue in different terms than you did.

Good points. As with most political issues, all sides are attempting to frame the issue to their advantage.
Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:56 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Give me one example of restricting someone's right to do something while they were still able to do it.

If a mob of White Supremacists started beating up Blacks in Central Park, and the New York Police Department did nothing about it, that technically wouldn't violate the Blacks' constitutional rights. Technically, constitutional rights are against the government, not private individuals, and technically, the police has no affirmative duty to enforce the law. (Debra_Law had a thread about it long ago.)

But that just goes to show that technical arguments are inadequate for resolving matters matter like these.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:59 am
@Thomas,
The matter will only be resolved when the 'Mosque' is, or is not, built.

Well, not really resolved if it is built, I suppose.

Those against it will still be against it.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:06 am
@Ahab,
Ahab wrote:

Thomas wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Good points. As with most political issues, all sides are attempting to frame the issue to their advantage.

Even if it were true that it was a case of religious discrimination (by Pat Robertson? How did he come into it?) that does not mean that it was not, as a legal matter, a matter of constitutional rights. And what have the alleged motives of the opposition to do with that? Answer, nothing. Second of all, when you come up with some evidence that there was religious discrimination involved, please let me know so that I can take you seriously. Right now I regard you as just ranting.

Framing issues is one thing. What is the correct frame to frame them into is a very different thing. For example, I suppose you are framing the issue as a case of religious discrimination. Have you any evidence for that way of framing the issue? Not that I can tell. So, so far as I can tell, there is no reason to think that way of framing the matter is correct.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:07 am
@Ahab,
Ahab wrote:

Thomas wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Even if it were true that it was a case of religious discrimination (by Pat Robertson? How did he come into it?) that does not mean that it was not, as a legal matter, a matter of constitutional rights. And what have the alleged motives of the opposition to do with that? Answer, nothing. Second of all, when you come up with some evidence that there was religious discrimination involved, please let me know so that I can take you seriously. Right now I regard you as just ranting.

Framing issues is one thing. What is the correct frame to frame them into is a very different thing. For example, I suppose you are framing the issue as a case of religious discrimination. Have you any evidence for that way of framing the issue? Not that I can tell. So, so far as I can tell, there is no reason to think that way of framing the matter is correct. So, on the contrary, it is an awful point, with nothing to back it up.